Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2018, 10:08 AM
Ex-Mr.President

OT: Muscle cars

Need some info from the gallery here.

I am in the process of starting to prepare to buy a muscle car. I am finally debt free minus mortgage and school loans, which will in time get me a great credit score and should help with the finance percentage. Just an FYI.

So here is my query. If you were in the market for a V8 muscle car, what would you think was a smart buy. Now i know so many of you love Porsche, the miata, and other euro cars. I do as well, but prefer V8 American muscle as I am just "that guy."

I have had 3 charger SRT's and only one of them wasn't a piece of crap. All used, soI get two of them were driven really hard and I know i am more than likely going to buy a car that has been driven the way it was intended. I am not looking to track day this car, simply go for fun and fast cruises as well as piss off my stupid neighbors.

I figure Camaro, Mustang, Challenger SRT, and maybe if I could find a numbered Charger SRT I would think of that again. I suppose I could throw corvette in the mix, but that may not be considered a muscle car by some.

So what would you get, what should I look for, what should I avoid, and other things that would help me make a better decision?

Thanks
Old 01-05-2018, 10:13 AM

So are you looking for a 60's or 70's vintage muscle car? Or something modern?
Old 01-05-2018, 10:22 AM

This is an easy one...a 1967 Chevelle SS 427. A buddy of mine once owned one and they just absolutely SCREAM! Scarry fast/powerful. Or....a Nova SS in the same year/configuration. Then slip a Doors 8-track into the factory deck, turn up the volume and step on the gas! A '62 4-speed, dual quad, posi-traction 409 Impala would be one more.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 01-05-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:24 AM

Since you look to be buying modern, just take everything for a test drive and buy what you like.

Although not a muscle car, the 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Track Hawk is pretty sick with 707 HP

If you are looking to p*** off neighbors. This is the stealth way to do it.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
I am just "that guy."

... as well as piss off my stupid neighbors.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:26 AM
That guy..

Why not 2000's Mercedes V8's ?

CL500
SL500
AMG E55

All the power, all the sound. Plus the luxury
Old 01-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Vendor

My family(father) used to have a bunch of classic muscle cars that went to shows.

71 Plymouth GTX
70 Plymouth Superbird. big wing and all
69 Dodge Charger RT
70 Dodge Charger RT
69 Dodge Charger SE
71 Hemi Cuda
68 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible
66 Ford Mustang convertible

That's just a small list of what we've had or have. If you are looking for a muscle car, yeah, there is some great and cool things out now. But come on. Muscle car is classic. Go that direction. They might be old, but man they're fun and they will draw a ton of attention.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:31 AM

Personally, if I win the lottery, the American muscle car I would buy would be the Shelby GT350R. With a switch, you can open the exhaust. The engine is awesome sounding.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
Why not 2000's Mercedes V8's ?

CL500
SL500
AMG E55

All the power, all the sound. Plus the luxury
Cause the sex appeal is below zero .)
Old 01-05-2018, 10:48 AM

Buy what makes you smile the most...1968 Camaro SS convertible for me

If you are not 100% trusting in your car knowledge, engage an expert to confirm what you are buying. Plenty of frauds out there ....badging base models with SS, Z, etc.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:02 AM

While maybe due to my age, I have a warm spot for the late 60's/early 70's muscle cars. That being said, of two I'd probably buy a modern version of. Especially since it sounds like this may be a daily driver.

I'd also agree with the sentiment of a few others. I'd go luxury power.

While my Lexus GS430 will not blow the doors off a new Mustang, it's more than fast enough. Gets decent gas mileage. It's comfortable. And pretty much bullet proof in the reliability department.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:07 AM

Kinda reminds me of a story my brother told me one time about a 70's Corvette he owned......He said it's a rare car....they only made about 2000 of them....and only 5000 have managed to survive.

After I retired.....I spent some time doing part time grunt work in a hi end Shelby Mustang restoration shop. Usually the cars were bought as a bucket of rust and bolts for about $100,000 or so....and owner spent another $100,000 or more with us to restore the car. When done.....and better than when it was new.....was worth usually around $300,000. But original Shelby Mustang is a desirable and rare car. Especially a BOSS 429. Same with 70's BOSS 302's.....they are worth restoring. (or Z28's of that era...although we didn't do them)

Most old classic muscle cars.....do not bring in the market place the full cost of restoration. So the lesion I learned....is let someone else do the restoring.....and when that person either gives up on his money pit, or runs out of money, and gets tired of the constant upkeep......then you buy from him at a bargain (relatively speaking). But I would not restore an old car...would let someone else do it. Engine and drivetrain work is relatively cheap.....it's the body work that costs so much. So even if you are looking for a more modern muscle car, make sure the body is in good shape....you can fix everything else fairly (relatively) cheap.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:07 AM

Modern? The recent Mustangs have all been great. Quality on the inside is better than any of the other muscle cars, unless you count the fast Cadillacs. Ford actually built a pony car that handles well for the first time so it'll go like hell in a straight line *and* stay in sight of those pesky BMWs when the road gets twisty.

Either that or the Challenger SRT Demon, which is a pure drag race machine somehow spec'd to be street legal. It looks truly bananas.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Current American Muscle car?

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 12.06.12 PM.jpg (61.4 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 12.07.27 PM.jpg (52.8 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 12.07.56 PM.jpg (49.8 KB, 300 views)
Old 01-05-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Most old classic muscle cars.....do not bring in the market place the full cost of restoration. So the lesion I learned....is let someone else do the restoring.....and when that person either gives up on his money pit, or runs out of money, and gets tired of the constant upkeep......then you buy from him at a bargain (relatively speaking). But I would not restore an old car...would let someone else do it. Engine and drivetrain work is relatively cheap.....it's the body work that costs so much. So even if you are looking for a more modern muscle car, make sure the body is in good shape....you can fix everything else fairly (relatively) cheap.
Every person I have met who has spent good money on restorations has said the same thing. Let someone else do all that work for you beforehand unless you truly have the passion and money to get it done right.

There is a yearly car show here in Saratoga, CA where a lot of gems are showcased. The 1973 455 Super Duty Trans Am.. when that engine is revving away what a perfect sound!