Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-02-2018, 02:14 PM
cgolvin's Avatar
cgolvin cgolvin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: The Boss Basin
Posts: 1,624
Annoying squeak

Diagnosing creaks and squeaks remotely via text may be a fool's errand, still thought I'd seek out some wisdom. Setup is ~2011 Super Record 11 (white label) cranks and derailleurs, Chorus cassette and chain.

I have developed an annoying squeak in my drivetrain. I believe I've localized it to either the BB/crankset or RD pulley wheels since it only occurs under power and doing a thorough cassette/chain cleaning and re-lube fails to cure it. It seems more pronounced in the {small ring—larger cogs} combos but still present in others.

Unfortunately, I can't localize the sound with the bike on the stand since it apparently requires more force than I can deliver by hand.

My plan is to first remove the chain and lube the jockey wheels, and if that doesn't eliminate the sound then remove the cranks and re-lube the BB cups. I built it up in November and thought I was pretty careful applying grease in the cups at the time, but perhaps I should have been more generous.

If you pals have other potential suggestions for investigation I'd like to hear 'em since I don't have a torque wrench that goes to 40+ Nm, which means that crankset removal will then require a trip to the LBS.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-02-2018, 02:17 PM
Ken Robb Ken Robb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: La Jolla, Ca.
Posts: 14,290
Your headline made me fear your CD Player was stuck playing Justin Bieber songs. I'm glad it's not THAT serious. :-)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-02-2018, 02:18 PM
AngryScientist's Avatar
AngryScientist AngryScientist is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: northeast NJ
Posts: 21,725
what pedals?

have you ridden the bike putting down significant power with just rubber soled street shoes (sneakers) to see if the squeak is still there. pedal/cleat interfaces are infamous squeakers.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-02-2018, 02:23 PM
ltwtsculler91 ltwtsculler91 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
what pedals?

have you ridden the bike putting down significant power with just rubber soled street shoes (sneakers) to see if the squeak is still there. pedal/cleat interfaces are infamous squeakers.
This is a very good idea. I would also check the rear skewer and make sure it is clean and tight.

If those don't get anywhere, pulleys would be a good place to start for squeaks
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-02-2018, 02:31 PM
josephr's Avatar
josephr josephr is offline
coffee consumer
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: birmingham,al
Posts: 2,407
does the squeak happen the same place in the pedal stroke? shoe/crank arm rub? Cleat wear? I usually think of a 'squeak' would involve a metal/non-metal contact...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-02-2018, 02:52 PM
cgolvin's Avatar
cgolvin cgolvin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: The Boss Basin
Posts: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
what pedals?

have you ridden the bike putting down significant power with just rubber soled street shoes (sneakers) to see if the squeak is still there. pedal/cleat interfaces are infamous squeakers.
Speedplay Zero pedals, freshly lubed spindles and relatively recently lubed cleats. I haven't tried riding sans cleats, will put that on the list though my shoe/pedals combo has moved across several bikes without this noise so I'm doubtful that's the cause. Probably a good idea to re-apply some grease to the spindle threads anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-02-2018, 02:54 PM
cgolvin's Avatar
cgolvin cgolvin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: The Boss Basin
Posts: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephr View Post
does the squeak happen the same place in the pedal stroke? shoe/crank arm rub? Cleat wear? I usually think of a 'squeak' would involve a metal/non-metal contact...
Memory says no, and I'm sure there's no crank arm rub.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-02-2018, 02:57 PM
dddd dddd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,033
I had a Colnago CX-0 act up like that, turned out to be the seatpost needed greasing.

2nd on the insufficiently-tight rear QR.

I've gotten rid of a similar squeak/creak by tightening the pedal into the crankarm with the proper/full amount of torque.

Do you ever get the squeak while riding off the saddle? That eliminates the saddle and post right there.

Pedal-to-cleat and cleat-to-shoe are both common sources of squeak or creak.

I would say that stem and bar are less common to be a source of noise than on older bikes.

Some noises get diagnosed by swapping parts like wheels, pedals, shoes or saddle+post, which is simpler when you have more than one bike and pair of shoes.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-02-2018, 02:58 PM
C40_guy's Avatar
C40_guy C40_guy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,053
My first thought was cleats too.

Tighten/swap the seatpost. Crap, dddd just beat me to that recommendation!

Squeaks and creaks travel sometimes. Very annoying...

Or turn the radio up to 11. You won't hear the squeak.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-02-2018, 03:47 PM
tailingloop tailingloop is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 44
Hello - I experienced a similar squeak not too long ago when applying force to the pedals. No force, no squeak. I suspected the PF30 BB, so I reinstalled, regreased, cleaned and lubed everything. After all that, I still hear the squeak. As a last resort, I swapped wheels. Squeak was gone. Turns out the freehub bearings were shot. I replaced the bearings and am now squeak free.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-02-2018, 03:52 PM
bigbill bigbill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kingman, AZ
Posts: 1,935
For the third time, seatpost. Take it out, wipe it clean, thin coat of whatever your setup requires and put it all back together.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-02-2018, 04:04 PM
Tickdoc's Avatar
Tickdoc Tickdoc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: TUL
Posts: 4,170
I had this once and had to sell the bike.

No, seriously, it was the skewers.

I thought pedals, but nope. Then I thought BB, but nope. I took it to the shop and had two of the wrenches ride it around on carpet and they thought it was bb too, but nope It was the skewers.

Take out, grease them up a bit both on the length of the rod and the ends and see if that helps any.
__________________
♦️♠️
♣️♥️
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-02-2018, 04:06 PM
NHAero NHAero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,516
On my CAAD10 when I got out of the saddle the squeak went away. After fooling around with the seatpost a bunch, I finally figured out it was the Selle Italia saddle. I could actually lube the spots where the rails enter the plastic, and for a day the sound went away.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-02-2018, 04:15 PM
Peter P. Peter P. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Meriden CT
Posts: 4,940
Swap out the entire rear wheel, if you can. That will eliminate the cassette, hub, and skewer in on shot, or isolate it to those three components.

That should at least help to narrow it down quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-02-2018, 04:34 PM
oldpotatoe's Avatar
oldpotatoe oldpotatoe is offline
Proud Grandpa
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Republic of Boulder, USA
Posts: 37,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Diagnosing creaks and squeaks remotely via text may be a fool's errand, still thought I'd seek out some wisdom. Setup is ~2011 Super Record 11 (white label) cranks and derailleurs, Chorus cassette and chain.

I have developed an annoying squeak in my drivetrain. I believe I've localized it to either the BB/crankset or RD pulley wheels since it only occurs under power and doing a thorough cassette/chain cleaning and re-lube fails to cure it. It seems more pronounced in the {small ring—larger cogs} combos but still present in others.

Unfortunately, I can't localize the sound with the bike on the stand since it apparently requires more force than I can deliver by hand.

My plan is to first remove the chain and lube the jockey wheels, and if that doesn't eliminate the sound then remove the cranks and re-lube the BB cups. I built it up in November and thought I was pretty careful applying grease in the cups at the time, but perhaps I should have been more generous.

If you pals have other potential suggestions for investigation I'd like to hear 'em since I don't have a torque wrench that goes to 40+ Nm, which means that crankset removal will then require a trip to the LBS.

Thanks
A ‘squeak’? I’m guessing chain dry or pulleys, lotsa grease inside those. Doubt it’s the BB.
__________________
Chisholm's Custom Wheels
Qui Si Parla Campagnolo
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.