Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2017, 02:14 PM

Campagnolo 1x11?

Ive been researching this all morning and not finding much...
is SRAM the only big name all in on 1x11?

Ive got a Potenza Mid reach RD and the 11-32 cassette.
Has anyone run the Potenza with a wider range cassette?

Im thinking of doing a 1x11 with 44 or 46 front and wide range rear on a new adventure/allroad build. Its either that or run a Compact 2x11 Campagnolo setup, but i like the idea of no FD! My jumpy riding style doesn't need the tight spacing of a 12-25. i just spin faster or slower.

I strongly prefer the hood shape and shifting feel of Campagnolo shifters, but if the logistics for Campagnolo aren't any good, ill look into going with Force 1x11, or just keep my life simple and stick with the tried and true 2x11.

Any real world experience with campagnolo 1x11? or Force 1x11 for that matter?

thanks

Matt
Old 12-22-2017, 02:25 PM

None with Campy but Force 1X is the standard right now. If you're doing adventure/gravel whatever, the clutch RD is a good feature. It just works.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:47 PM

I'm in the very same boat and have been investigating. The Roadlink works with Campy but you give up the clutched RD as mentioned above. The SRAM 1x stuff works nice but I prefer the ergonomics of Campy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2017, 09:48 PM

I'm building a gravel/cross bike and went with Shimano for 1x. I really wanted electronic shifting and hydro brakes, and the levers are now the same size as cable levers. I'm really concerned that with much I'm going to ride the bike on the road to get to the trail, I might want a compact 2x, well see.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
I'm in the very same boat and have been investigating. The Roadlink works with Campy but you give up the clutched RD as mentioned above. The SRAM 1x stuff works nice but I prefer the ergonomics of Campy.

glad im not being too much of an idiot wanting to see if this is possible. but to be fair i have not tried any of the sram stuff that has come out in the last 3-4 years or newer, maybe things have changed?

i do like the idea of the clutched RD, wide range rear, with single front simplicity...
but I may just go 50-34 and 11-32 with Potenza Mid RD and call it good
Old 12-22-2017, 10:44 PM
Vendor

They aren't planning on it. I asked them about it on Sunday. The main part of it is the patents. They really don't like having to pay other people. They paid for the CenterLock rotor patent to Shimano cause Mr Campagnolo was pissed about the noise from some 6 bolt rotors. So they ponied up.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:12 PM

A couple years ago, I did a few cross races on a 1X 10s Campy equipped Ibis Hakkalugi. No problems with a chain guide up front and a Record 10s medium cage in the back.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:09 AM

I have 1x10 on my commuter with a NW chainring - works great! I don’t think 1x11 would be any different.

The question is the gear range and mine is only 38t x 12-29, so likely not wide enough for ya. ?
Old 12-23-2017, 01:55 AM

Would a Jtek shiftmate work?
Old 12-23-2017, 02:14 AM

I've ridden 3 bikas with Force 1x. I'm not 75 and I still have a lot of dexterity and hand eye coordination/fine motor function. On all three bikes I was not able to properly shift from the first cog to the 2nd (always jumps to the 3rd), whether going from an 11 to a whatever or a 10 to a whatever. So, I think SRAMz should call it Force 9.5 1x. Because you definitely lose one "speed" when shifting up the cassette.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:33 AM

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
I've ridden 3 bikas with Force 1x. I'm not 75 and I still have a lot of dexterity and hand eye coordination/fine motor function. On all three bikes I was not able to properly shift from the first cog to the 2nd (always jumps to the 3rd), whether going from an 11 to a whatever or a 10 to a whatever. So, I think SRAMz should call it Force 9.5 1x. Because you definitely lose one "speed" when shifting up the cassette.
I have SRAM 1x on 3 bikes, 2 have the clutch derailleur and 1 does not. Not sure why you are experiencing 9.5 gears, but I have never had that experience. Clutch RD is clearly the best way to go.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post

Get a N-W chainring and call it good..the clutch is nice but a N-W CR will keep the chain in place.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:31 AM

I just finished a 1x11 conversion of my CAAD10 last night. It's sloppy out so no test ride yet. I used the HG800 Ultegra 11-34 cassette and a 42 Race Face NW chainring, with the RD 8000 GS Ultegra derailleur, and an Ultegra ST6800 shifter. Shifts great on the stand Dropped about 1/2 pound off the bike, too.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Get a N-W chainring and call it good..the clutch is nice but a N-W CR will keep the chain in place.
This plus correct chain length.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
They aren't planning on it. I asked them about it on Sunday. The main part of it is the patents. They really don't like having to pay other people. They paid for the CenterLock rotor patent to Shimano cause Mr Campagnolo was pissed about the noise from some 6 bolt rotors. So they ponied up.
Noise from some six-bolt rotors was a factor but rather bigger on their horizon was that a very high proportion of the AM forks in the market from companies like Columbus don't give enough clearance for the bolt-heads of a six-bolt.

Because the strength of Campagnolo is mainly in the AM, they need to look at that type of aspect very closely.

They also look at compatibility and overall market trend and if that outweighs engineering and brand differentiation considerations, then like any comapny, they will make a commercial decision.