Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2017, 07:00 PM
Lanterne rouge

With all the wackiness going on here lately

Whats the dumbest thing you will admit to doing on or with a bike.

We once spent an afternoon riding bikes off a second story roof into a swimming pool. We were about 14 or 15. It was a blast.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:05 PM

Learning to whip skid in torrential rain with 2 feet of flooding in intersections.

Riding home after an all day bike pub crawl. I hit a parked car at 3mph seconds after I rode off from the last bar. Miraculously, I rode home 14 miles but the ride may rank as the lowest moment of intellect in my life.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:08 PM

A high school friend and I were riding our road bikes and joking around about hand positions. He crossed his arms to put his left hand on the right hood and vice versa, nearly lost control but managed to stay upright.

"Whoa, don't do that!"

Which is precisely what I did do, crashing to the pavement moments later.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:22 PM
Registered (ab)User

When I was 12 or 13 years old my friends Mark & Joe & I made an 8mm movie of staged bike crashes. We would find a cool set-up, define some camera angles, do a few practice runs, and then shoot the scene. Full-on crashes head first into trees, boulders, off of 3-4' high rock walls, seriously damaging stuff at reasonably high speeds. No helmets, no body armor, just t-shirts & jeans & sneakers.

I don't remember any of us getting hurt beyond a few cuts, scrapes, and bruises...but I did completely snap the steel steerer on my 1965 Murray!
Old 12-21-2017, 07:28 PM

Skitching a bus up battery.

Skitching a cable car up California. Both of these streets in SF
Old 12-21-2017, 07:32 PM

While commuting to work one day on a MUP with light rain, I bunny hopped onto a foot bridge. Since it was a wood bridge and I was riding 700x23c, it didn't end well for me.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:44 PM
ZhugeLiang

Two incidents come to mind.

First one: High school. Studying late at night. Got bored and decided to take the road bike downstairs to the basement parking garage and ride in a loop. Started off fine but I began to hallucinate that I was in the velodrome doing an individual pursuit...going faster and faster and....whoa....lost control, skidded 50 yards, picked myself up, felt a burning sensation on the entire left side of the body - scraped. Went home, rouse up the parents, got me inside the bath tub, turned on the shower head....whoa...JAWS! water turned into blood.

The second one is real short. JRA...just riding along, saw that a small piece of paper got caught in the front brake, reached down ...BAM! the next second, down on the ground. I have accidentally stuck one of my fingers into the spoke.
Ouch!
Old 12-21-2017, 07:58 PM

I skitched up O'shaughnessy during an alleycat here in city of San Francisco. It's a winding uninterrupted 1 mile climb at about 5%. The jeep I was holding onto had no idea I was there (obviously) and was absolutely carving it. I was probably going +40mph uphill with like 2-3ft of space to work with in between the jeep and the right hand curb. I held on for about a minute total before letting go.

Strava segment analysis to prove it: https://www.strava.com/activities/69...ysis/3338/3498
Old 12-21-2017, 08:00 PM

Does jumping onto a damp steel deck bridge at speed count?
Old 12-21-2017, 08:54 PM
aka mbrt

Since the verb skitch was used in a previous reply. In the '50's we would hang out on a corner usually where there was a stop sign and the road was snow packed. We would grab onto the driver's rear bumper after he stopped and skitch as far as we could. Usually the driver would hear us laughing or see some of us tumbling down after we lost grip or hit a dry patch. Eventually he'd catch a red light and we'd all scramble. There's a phrase "youth is wasted on the young" or something like that; well we had a blast...I'm glad I did what I did when I was young.

Ray
Old 12-21-2017, 09:11 PM

- Skitching buses, trucks and taxis.

- at 10 y/o my 20 inches caloi felt down a 25 meters cliff and got stuck like 2 meters from the pacific ocean, whats the dumb thing you wonder? one of the gang got the bad of taking a ride at the edge of the f... cliff, and we the idiot'sss said yes, back in the day we did not have helmets and I got lucky and quick enough to let the bike go or that would had been me at the bottom of the ocean. The oldest of the gang went down pick it up (15 y/o or so). Dude was like 6,3 already.

- Ride a velodrome backwards for like 5 minutes to get the hang of it and then do it no hands crashed at the 1st bank, was fun to see the whole team with coach, paramedics and managers cracking up

- might have other ones but dont remember right now
Old 12-21-2017, 09:33 PM

Skitching

Speaking of skitching- Did any of you ever do actual snow skitching?

We did it when I was a kid in Illinois- When it snowed enough and the roads were plowed to a packed snow/ice surface.
We would wait in a hidden spot near a stop sign, when a vehicle stopper we would grab the bumper as long as we could. Sometimes for blocks.
Extra points for big vehicles, trucks, buses, multiple skitchers, etc..

And this was on foot- Not with a bike.

Looking back I can't even believe that we did this highly dangerous and stupid activity-
Mom would wonder how we wore the color off the front of our jeans-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Skitching a bus up battery.

Skitching a cable car up California. Both of these streets in SF
Old 12-21-2017, 09:50 PM

I have snow skitched on foot once - once.

Stupid bike tricks. Early 90’s, In the Navy on a port visit to Victoria BC, rented a mtb to ride around and rode it down a flight of about 30 steps to get to a bar.

Beer definitely involved in this one, opening day SF Giants, I think 1995, did a package deal with Shanghai Kelly’s on Polk St. Took a bus out to the game and back, rode my mtb back home to North Beach. Going through the Broadway tunnel on the sidewalk, bounced back and forth between the wall and guard rail like a pinball. Many scrapes and bruises but luckily nothing worse. Boy I did some stupid ****e back then.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:04 PM

Got an important lesson in physics one night on my way home after a light rain. I still have a little strip of asphalt under the skin on my left hip.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
The second one is real short. JRA...just riding along, saw that a small piece of paper got caught in the front brake, reached down ...BAM! the next second, down on the ground. I have accidentally stuck one of my fingers into the spoke.
Ouch!
This one was pretty much mine. Leaf caught in front spokes making sound like a helicopter. Reached a little too far in and my hand locked up the front wheel, pitching me on to the pavement. Luckily it was a low speed 'crash', but both pride and body suffered a blow that day.