Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2017, 12:56 PM
50 bpm

The Last Jedi (non-spoiler mode)

Saw it yesterday, very excited. Left no so much so.

It was better than TFA in that it wasn't a blatant rip-off (in this case, of ESB), but its darkness was comparatively muddled. And it was in desperate need of an editor. A real bladder-tester.

I though the online petition by fans calling for it to be stricken from canon, or to be remade, was telling.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:10 PM

So, was it a good movie?
Old 12-19-2017, 01:17 PM

I saw it yesterday too. It was OK, but not as good as I expected... IMO. It left a lot of the storyline and characters unexplained or undeveloped, although action scenes were pretty well done as people would expect. Probably should have had Peter Jackson make it into its own trilogy.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:22 PM

I thought is was pretty good, but not great. Some good story lines and action, but some weak spots. 3.5 stars out of 5. IMHO, much better than seeing another Marvel/DC Comic film (although I did like Doctor Strange).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2017, 01:36 PM
cmg

yea, I give 3.5 stars out of 5 as well. Not as good as I hoped but a transitional story designed to link 2 story arcs, future to the past. The Lara dern character pissed me off. The moment every body boarded the transport pods and she stayed I thought she was going to going to do a suicide path into the empire's ship. she waited to long. My opinion.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:39 PM
Ex-Mr.President

It is hard to please the world. Imagine what it must be like to try.

I have seen the movie several times already and it shines in places and others not as much. I also know that the franchise is probably the most fabled and difficult to be a part of. It isn't my favorite film in the franchise, but it was a good film and while answers to burning questions either weren't answered or not answered to the expectations of us crazy fans, well it leaves some story to finalize in the next and last episode.

I also am seeing the reaction of young people and they (who do not have the history us adults do with the story) love it and I think that is what the hope is for Lucas/Disney. You have so many movies under the Star Wars banner still yet to come. A new audience is being sought out...just like the last scene in the movie.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:01 PM

Saw it Friday. I enjoyed it immensely, but yes, it left some questions.

Definitely some surprises. A couple of "I wonder where they're gonna go with that?" moments. The only weak point, I thought, was a pivotal moment that I will outline below (separated out for spoilers). I actually liked the injection of paced humor, and really didn't find it as forced as, say, Guardians of the Galaxy or many of the Marvel flicks.

Now, for anyone trying to avoid spoilers, move on to the next post.

SPOILER! I thought Snoke died too easily. And when else has a Jedi (or Sith, for that matter) been able to activate a Light Saber without actually holding it in their hand? I though the whole point of the crystal in the saber (as explained in Clone Wars, and maybe elsewhere) was that it reacted to its master. Anyway, seemed that particular death happened too quickly and easily.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:05 PM

I just read the "petition". I think all the signatures just show all the trolls on the internet who haven't grown up since 1977. Did they forget how awful George Lucas's Episode 1 to 3 were? Wasn't Obiwan a hermit when Luke first met him? Geez. Give the guy a break.

I for one was content with the movie. I wasn't ecstatic, but like cmg said, it's a transition movie. It wasn't neatly wrapped up like "The Force Awakens". I left the movie with lots of questions and I'm still thinking about them; that's a great way to keep me wanting more.

On a final note, I was so happy to see two major asian characters and the Imperial guard with the Japanese armor influences. Kurosawa's samurai movies were such an influence to George Lucas and it made me so happy that my son can have asian role models in this new generation of Star Wars movies that I never had.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
It is hard to please the world. Imagine what it must be like to try.

I have seen the movie several times already and it shines in places and others not as much. I also know that the franchise is probably the most fabled and difficult to be a part of. It isn't my favorite film in the franchise, but it was a good film and while answers to burning questions either weren't answered or not answered to the expectations of us crazy fans, well it leaves some story to finalize in the next and last episode.

I also am seeing the reaction of young people and they (who do not have the history us adults do with the story) love it and I think that is what the hope is for Lucas/Disney. You have so many movies under the Star Wars banner still yet to come. A new audience is being sought out...just like the last scene in the movie.
You really watched this movie several times? It's still fresh on the scene in theatres? You must've spent a fortune or do you work in the movie industry? I bet it's a great movie on the big screen...I'm personally too cheap to go to the movies, lol.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:19 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship View Post
You really watched this movie several times? It's still fresh on the scene in theatres? You must've spent a fortune or do you work in the movie industry? I bet it's a great movie on the big screen...I'm personally too cheap to go to the movies, lol.
Yes, I also have a Star Wars sleeve on my left arm, and Skyped with the lead special effects supervisor Matt Schuman with my students while he was on set of the Han Solo movie about TLJ. Matt created the porg and a ton of stuff that would blow you away in other movies outside of Star Wars. He went to high school near to my district (so did young Anakin, Jake Lloyd) and is friends with one of my students mothers.

Oh and I wrote a two week curriculum where my students watch all the movies and then recreate biomes from the movies, rewrite endings, develop characters a bit more.

So the franchise is a big part of me and my little world.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:36 PM

Considering the amount of money this movie has made, studio executives must already be working on the next installment -- Return of the Last Jedi, perhaps?

I once tried watching a Star Wars movie, but lost interest halfway through. I'm glad I never had a teacher who assigned me to watch one of them, let alone all of them in two weeks.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:39 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
So, was it a good movie?
-ish
Old 12-19-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
Yes, I also have a Star Wars sleeve on my left arm, and Skyped with the lead special effects supervisor Matt Schuman with my students while he was on set of the Han Solo movie about TLJ. Matt created the porg and a ton of stuff that would blow you away in other movies outside of Star Wars. He went to high school near to my district (so did young Anakin, Jake Lloyd) and is friends with one of my students mothers.

Oh and I wrote a two week curriculum where my students watch all the movies and then recreate biomes from the movies, rewrite endings, develop characters a bit more.

So the franchise is a big part of me and my little world.
Wow, that's awesome. You sir know your stuff! I'm 43 and I do recall watching Star Wars when I was between the ages of 5 to 9. Not sure if it was the Empire Strikes Back...evidently it's not apart of my world but...there's been so much hype on the local news about this latest movie. I have been curious about Mark Hamill being apart of it. I still feel young although we have all aged,lol. I dunno what to say except I have no opinion if it lives up to the hype or standard but just to reiterate. I can't imagine this not being a breath taking, exiting movie on the big screen. Personally if I did go to the movies like soon, this would be the one to see.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:47 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship View Post
Wow, that's awesome. You sir know your stuff! I'm 43 and I do recall watching Star Wars when I was between the ages of 5 to 9. Not sure if it was the Empire Strikes Back...evidently it's not apart of my world but...there's been so much hype on the local news about this latest movie. I have been curious about Mark Hamill being apart of it. I still feel young although we have all aged,lol. I dunno what to say except I have no opinion if it lives up to the hype or standard but just to reiterate. I can't imagine this not being a breath taking, exiting movie on the big screen. Personally if I did go to the movies like soon, this would be the one to see.
Hey I am only 42 and agree with so much of what you said. I don’t go to the movies often, but this is one I had to...more than once. 😉

I got to take my 12 year old daughter to TFA and rogue 1 in The theatres to pass on the tradition my mom started with me.

Plus there are soooo many things in the background you miss in the first viewing little things. I like catching those and then talking to my students about it. Besides Harry Potter I have not personally experienced anything like what Star Wars does to kids who don’t want to read. It fascinates me how many different types of kids Star Wars reaches. It isn’t just goofy nerds like me.

Buuut back to the movie!

Still Love Kylo!
Old 12-19-2017, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

I really liked it and think it is about what it should be. I look forward to seeing it again a few times when it comes out on DVD. Lots of twists and turns that I didn't see coming, some that I did, but overall, what I want out of a Star Wars movie.

None of the Star Wars movies hold up to physics or logic, so I'm not so sure why people get hung up on that. Star Wars only works (for me, at least), if you completely suspend disbelief and accept that what you see absolutely can happen, or absolutely did happen a long time ago.

The only thing that bothered me coming out of the movie was that I didn't hear the one line that has been in all the movies, and I've enjoyed waiting for it to come. Then, reading last night, I found out it is the movie and I missed it...and it was a clever way to sneak it in. So, now all is well and I'm appropriately amused.