Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2017, 07:58 PM

Shortage of Columbus XCr in the states??

I have contacted abot 1/2 dozen builders and there seems to be a shortage of this material in the states. Most said they have to contact columbus directly and it is taking months to get tubes to build with.
Just wondering if they are supplying there italian builders first or what?
Most of the builders say they can build me a Ti frame for a few $$ more. But I have a Ti bike and want a stainless bike made out of XCr.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:11 PM

I haven't tried to buy any recently, but they just don't make that much of it, relatively speaking, and since not many builders are stocking it, it takes a bit until there is enough demand to make a run.

I won't try to talk you out of XCR, but many builders can make a bike out of a functionally equivalent material that will just need paint.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:48 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
I have contacted abot 1/2 dozen builders and there seems to be a shortage of this material in the states. Most said they have to contact columbus directly and it is taking months to get tubes to build with.
Just wondering if they are supplying there italian builders first or what?
Most of the builders say they can build me a Ti frame for a few $$ more. But I have a Ti bike and want a stainless bike made out of XCr.

Columbus was out of XCr tubing until the end of May. We got our tubes in shortly after.

Everyone was out, even the Italians. It's just a really tough material to manufacture. Same with building into frames. Very thin, hard and easy to mess up.

I've had a couple people who've asked the same questions as you. You are far from alone. And no, I didn't point anyone towards a ti frame. I have a frame in the Q for Bicycling Magazine that was waiting on XCr tubing. So even those guys have to wait.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:17 PM
v a n i l l a

Reynolds 953, KvA, Columbus XcR....which one for SS?

I had a IF SSR 953 and did not like it at all. Stock 56 geo.

Replaced with a responsorium XcR. Stock 55 geo. The ride is vastly different. much smoother. no comparison. slightly heavier f/f than the IF but do not feel it while riding.

Conclusion: material alone is insufficient to dictate ride. Tube shape, diameter, thickness, placement as important or even more so.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:32 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
Reynolds 953, KvA, Columbus XcR....which one for SS?

I had a IF SSR 953 and did not like it at all. Stock 56 geo.

Replaced with a responsorium XcR. Stock 55 geo. The ride is vastly different. much smoother. no comparison. slightly heavier f/f than the IF but do not feel it while riding.

Conclusion: material alone is insufficient to dictate ride. Tube shape, diameter, thickness, placement as important or even more so.

I rode a 953 IF ages ago. And a Rhygin WAY back in the day. I like the Rhygin, not the IF. I will say, our XCr has been well received. Looking forward to get the frame in for Bicycling Magazine and building it up. Should be fun.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:51 PM

I have seen a few few cross frames crack behind a weld on frames built with 953. It seems to be alot harder and more brittle. One of the builders I am in contact with stated he will not build with 953 after a few failures and had to replace the frames at his cost.
Some of the KVA tube built frames i have seen seem to have a rusting problem.
It looks like a surface type rust that is similar with a tube that has had a carbon steel brush taken to it and the carbon contaminated the surface. It seems to be inbeded in the surface.
I will go with XCr once the builders have a stock in hand.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:11 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
I have seen a few few cross frames crack behind a weld on frames built with 953. It seems to be alot harder and more brittle. One of the builders I am in contact with stated he will not build with 953 after a few failures and had to replace the frames at his cost.
Some of the KVA tube built frames i have seen seem to have a rusting problem.
It looks like a surface type rust that is similar with a tube that has had a carbon steel brush taken to it and the carbon contaminated the surface. It seems to be inbeded in the surface.
I will go with XCr once the builders have a stock in hand.
we have ours!
Old 06-13-2017, 06:51 PM

I would love a Tommasini Xcr like this one:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=134209
Old 06-13-2017, 06:58 PM
Vendor

We've done polished stainless before. Only problem is it's tougher for the owners to maintain. Brushed is easier to care for but polished is sexy! Awe have a couple frames coming to the States with polished frames or stays on a painted front end.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:34 PM

Why not get a SS frame electropolished post welding. It will be beautifully shiny and this should largely eliminate any chance of pinpoint rust, as the electropolishing will minimize the surface iron that creates this effect. It is commonly done for fabricated vacuum components to smooth the surface. Cost is not too crazy, should be under $ 300 or so for a part the size of a frame.