Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 05-13-2017, 10:05 PM

Firefly #510, All-Road

This is sparky33's old rig. When it was first posted for sale here, I tried my best to resist since I already had a Moots Psychlo X/Routt that I was more than satisfied with, but I eventually caved. Too nice of a bike, too good of a deal, and too easy of a transaction (local delivery from one of the guys I road D2R2 with last year). Thanks again, Steve!

Despite transferring most of the parts over from the Moots, the build took longer than anticipated due to a series of mishaps (a lot of trouble procuring a new wheelset, ordered the wrong headset, found out at the very last minute that I needed different lock rings for my CenterLock rotors, etc.). Finally got everything squared away last week. I'm about 80mi in now (mostly paved stuff), and as expected, this thing rules. Can't wait to take it off-road!

Build details:
  • Firefly frame, Parlee fork
  • Shimano stuff, 1x11 with help from Wolf Tooth
  • Industry Nine AR25 wheels, Compass BJP tires (tubeless)
  • Deda Zero100 bars, Zipp SC SL stem and post, Fabric Line saddle
  • Cane Creek 110 headset, King cages
Crappy cell phone pics:

At some point, I'd like to replace the BJPs with something a little knobbier, but other than that, don't plan on changing much. I foresee many happy miles ahead.

Last edited by xeladragon; 05-13-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:00 AM

That is an understated beauty. Congrats! Curious how you find the ride compared to the Moots.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:18 AM
ZhugeLiang

xela pal, this is outstanding.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:57 AM

I was wondering what would make you sell the moots! Looks great and congrats!
Old 05-14-2017, 10:00 AM

Thumbs up

Nice!
Old 05-14-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
That is an understated beauty. Congrats! Curious how you find the ride compared to the Moots.
Thanks! Hmm... I think I need to log a few more miles before I can make a more comprehensive comparison, but based on the geometry differences and initial impressions, I'd say the Firefly rides more like a fat tire road bike whereas the Moots was definitely built as a more 'cross-capable machine. This is due to the significantly lower BB on the Firefly (78mm drop v. 69mm) and its slightly steeper HTA (72 degrees v. 71.5), resulting in a ride that's a little more stable, where you feel more "in" the bike instead of "on top". The Firefly also feels a little quicker, but that's probably due to the lighter wheelset... lost around 400g there! I'm not a weight weenie, but that's pretty significant.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:49 PM

Congrats! Love it and thanks for sharing the geometry insights too!
Old 05-14-2017, 03:12 PM

Sweet! I have the same exact wheelset/tire combo. Decals are a little loud (for me) but otherwise they're fast and roll smooth.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwerkudara View Post
Sweet! I have the same exact wheelset/tire combo. Decals are a little loud (for me) but otherwise they're fast and roll smooth.
Agreed. I'm not a decals kind of guy, and if they were stickers, they'd be gone by now. I've had success removing 3T logos with acetone in the past, but I essentially ruined a Deda stem trying to do the same thing, so I'm hesitant to mess around with expensive new wheels. Lemme know if you try it though.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:24 AM

looks so good! nice score!
Old 05-15-2017, 08:18 AM

Your build is terrific, purposeful. The correct color bar tape - black, with black everything. 1x. Almost invisible frame decals. The wheels and tanwalls are sharp.
People will admire this bike for the machine that is first and be impressed that it is a Firefly second.

Sorry about ousting your sweet Moots! Here's hoping that the FF adequately fills the void.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeladragon View Post
This is sparky33's old rig. When it was first posted for sale here, I tried my best to resist since I already had a Moots Psychlo X/Routt that I was more than satisfied with, but I eventually caved. Too nice of a bike, too good of a deal, and too easy of a transaction (local delivery from one of the guys I road D2R2 with last year). Thanks again, Steve!

fwiw, this was my impression as well, having also knocked around on a few Moots X/Routt. Both are excellent versions of what they are intended to be.
Quote:
the Firefly rides more like a fat tire road bike whereas the Moots was definitely built as a more 'cross-capable machine.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 05-15-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:32 PM

This bike is fire!!!!!!
Old 05-15-2017, 08:10 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Thanks! Hmm... I think I need to log a few more miles before I can make a more comprehensive comparison, but based on the geometry differences and initial impressions, I'd say the Firefly rides more like a fat tire road bike whereas the Moots was definitely built as a more 'cross-capable machine. This is due to the significantly lower BB on the Firefly (78mm drop v. 69mm) and its slightly steeper HTA (72 degrees v. 71.5), resulting in a ride that's a little more stable, where you feel more "in" the bike instead of "on top". The Firefly also feels a little quicker, but that's probably due to the lighter wheelset... lost around 400g there! I'm not a weight weenie, but that's pretty significant.
I tried to make that bike work for me but the sad reality is it just wasn't a fit no matter how much I closed my eyes and dreamed.

Lucky you!

I think you nailed the conundrum...fat tire road, gravel, tour....gotta figure out the primary use case and then get the bike that suits. Not as simple as just "fat tire disc"
Old 05-15-2017, 08:15 PM
Administrator

very cool!

hope we can get the same crew together at deerfield this year. will be fun to see what equipment changes have happened over the last year.

hint: i will still be on rim brakes
Old 05-15-2017, 10:33 PM

Thanks for all the kind words, fellas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
Sorry about ousting your sweet Moots! Here's hoping that the FF adequately fills the void.
I'm sure it will! Always had an affinity for Firefly due to their connection with Indy Fab (and IF's connection with Somerville where I grew up), so I'm very happy to finally own one. And luckily, I was able to sell the Moots relatively quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
Lucky you!
Lucky me indeed! It pays to be a little shorter sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
hope we can get the same crew together at deerfield this year.
Ditto! I haven't registered yet, but I plan on going. Trying to wrangle some coworkers into coming with me too.