Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2017, 08:26 PM

Titanium Frames; Warranty value

I've been looking at purchasing a Lynskey frame on eBay that is warrantied by the Lynskey factory for life. However, there is a Serotta Legend that has re-appeared in the Classifieds section of Paceline that may be a really good fit for my long torso body.
Obviously the Legend will not have a warranty but, once used for a few thousand miles, would it most likely have already failed if there was a flaw in the frame? Has anyone had a titanium frame that developed a stress crack only after many miles of riding?
The Lynskey seems like a good value although I don't feel any emotion when considering their frames. I'm considering them because of the low price point and warranty. When I look at the Legend, it reminds me of when my Father handed me his Rolex and said "it's yours now"
Old 05-13-2017, 08:29 PM

Buy the bike that speaks to you.

Your logic is generally sound. Ti bikes last a long time.

My watch is 60 year old and your father is right.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:34 PM
aka RAEKWON

I agree, I would never buy a bike because it has a warranty (a car, sure, but not a bike frame). Buy what you like, it will most likely be fine. That said, those linkseys on ebay can be a really good deal
Old 05-13-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I agree, I would never buy a bike because it has a warranty (a car, sure, but not a bike frame). Buy what you like, it will most likely be fine. That said, those linkseys on ebay can be a really good deal
That's my thought on the Lynskey's too. With three Daughters entering college these next three consecutive years I have a very limited amount of money to spend on cycling. Most titanium frames, new or used, are outside my budget. That's why the Legend is so tempting
Old 05-13-2017, 08:43 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWhale View Post
Obviously the Legend will not have a warranty but, once used for a few thousand miles, would it most likely have already failed if there was a flaw in the frame? Has anyone had a titanium frame that developed a stress crack only after many miles of riding?
My Serotta Ti is 11 years old, just found a crack in the seat tube... My friend's Fierte Ti failed like that a year ago, I saw 3 Merlin Extralights crack last season alone. It happens...
Old 05-13-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post
My Serotta Ti is 11 years old, just found a crack in the seat tube... My friend's Fierte Ti failed like that a year ago, I saw 3 Merlin Extralights crack last season alone. It happens...
Are these type of cracks fatal? Or can they be repaired? Thank you so much for the feedback.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:58 PM

While a lifetime warranty can be appealing, as others have already posted a quality ti frame (such as Serotta) should be fine, generally speaking. Of course any material can fail, but I would think if a quality-built used ti frame has no history of damage, the integrity should be sound for a long time. Obviously, ask the seller for all details and more photos, and if there is a source for replacements decals.

If you are referring to the 60/60 Legend Ti w/blue decals, that thing looks like pure class. Lynskeys? Meh...imo.

Last edited by cadence90; 05-13-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:01 PM

Don't buy something just because it's cheap, but what you want and what is calling your name.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
While a lifetime warranty can be appealing, as others have already posted a quality ti frame (such as Serotta) should be fine, generally speaking. Of course any material can fail, but I would think if a quality-built used ti frame has no history of damage, the integrity should be sound for a long time. Obviously, ask the seller for all details and more photos, and if there is a source for replacements decals.

If you are referring to the 60/60 Legend Ti w/blue decals, that thing looks like pure class. Lynskeys? Meh...imo.
Yes, it is that 60/60 Legend. The long top tube is a good fit for my long torso and it would be nice to own a Apex frame in design and function.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is that 60/60 Legend. The long top tube is a good fit for my long torso and it would be nice to own a Apex frame in design and function.
Well, it sure looks beautiful. Ask lots of questions, ask for detailed photos, etc. Fortunately, unpainted ti might be the easiest material to spot cracks/damage on.

Good luck!
Old 05-13-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
You've answered your question then.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:55 PM

Usually the warranty is only afforded to the original owner so rarely would it be valid when comparing 2 used bikes.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:56 PM

Serotta built thousands of ti frames over the years, so some are bound to develop cracks. I bought a coupled Legend ST secondhand and it developed a crack in the headtube. I had it repaired by someone who used to work at Serotta, and his comment was, "Wow, that type of failure is really rare." It would definitely have been covered under warranty, but alas, Serotta is no more.

Ti frames are generally repairable, but note that, with the higher models Serotta made (i.e., with more tube manipulation), repairs can get tricky. Swaged tubes, which are pretty much all of the tubes on a Legend except for the headtube and the bottom bracket, are more complicated to replace. A top tube could probably be replaced by a straight tube, but a seat tube would be much more difficult, I would think, because the toptube and seatstay are mitered and designed lengthwise for a smaller diameter tube than the downtube is. I was fortunate that the tube that needed to be replaced was one of the easy ones.

Your thinking is generally sound. I would not hesitate to buy another Legend used, but I recognize that there is a small possibility that something could go wrong. In many respects, the prices factor that in.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:57 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeescape View Post
Usually the warranty is only afforded to the original owner so rarely would it be valid when comparing 2 used bikes.
he is comparing a used bike (the serotta) to a new bike (the lynksey)
Old 05-13-2017, 11:05 PM
cmg

don't buy the Lynskey because of a warranty, buy because you want it. top tube lengths the same, reach or stack the same? compare geometry's. new lynskeys have the tapered fork. some Lynskeys were made with asymmetrical rear chain stays, nice and stiff.