Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2017, 08:11 AM
Princess Sweat

Specialized Power vs Toupe

I'm on a Toupe 143. I'm thinking it's time for a change.

Those of you who know the Toupe + have tried (or switched over to) the Power. What did you notice?
Old 05-06-2017, 08:39 AM

Tried it; didn't like it

I have a 143 Toupe and tried the Power Saddle but ended up returning it. Maybe I didn't give it enought time but I was told that it wouldn't take much time to decide if it was an improvement or not. I decided that I like to move around on my saddle and prefer a saddle with a longer/traditional nose. I may have liked the Power Saddle more if I sat in one place while I pedaled.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:01 PM

my dick didn't go numb on the power
Old 05-06-2017, 12:26 PM
ZhugeLiang

Two different saddles

I got both. Just to repeat what's been said, they are two different saddles, only thing common is they are produced by the same company, that is all.

Ideally, you have to try them personally to see whether it works for you.

Power keeps your butt planted, if you like to move around on your saddle, it's not for you.

Normally, the Toupe is positioned slightly tilted up. The power on the other hand is tilted sightly down. Again, this is generalization.

Power is shorter in length. You have to take into account if your toupe is set at the extreme end of the rail, you may not have the same wiggle room with the power.

Lastly, the surface of the power is designed to prevent slippage so if you are used to sliding up and down during the ride, the power will not allow you to do that.

I like them both.

Again, they are different saddles, treat them as such.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:52 PM

I used to ride the Spec Toupe, nose up. My wife still does. I swapped to Power and she hated it. I still run my Power nose up.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

I rode a Toupe for years and liked it until I didn't. I started to get numb and changing the nose angle didn't seem to relieve the issue.

I started riding a Power 2 years ago and have been very happy with it. Like Weisan said, they are different, not better or worse, just different. I have my Power level as that's what has worked best for me. I can move around on it some, just not as much as the Toupe.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:05 PM
needs adult supervision

Echoing others, how much you like to move around on your saddle is crucial to liking the Power. Both ease of moving and how much real estate there is to move around on.

The Power feels quite good, IMO, and the short nose really eliminates any thigh rub. I've tried repeatedly to like mine, but the lack of movement has been a deal breaker. Flat saddles like the Toupe work far better for me.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:31 PM

I have a Power on each of the two bikes I ride. I ride with about 3-4 inches of drop....and having the center of saddle near level is what works best for me. I don't have a big butt (5' 10" 155 lbs), so there is plenty of real estate there for me...even some to slide forward on.

Having said this....getting fit right and saddle width right is very critical for me. 1-2 mm in saddle height makes a huge difference to me. I ride a Power in 143. Salesman said some folks can ride one size wider on the Power.....but after trying a 155 at same height.....edges dug in some...went back to a 143. I could have lowered the saddle some and used the 155, but didn't want to do that.

Big guys might want a longer nose.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:45 PM

You guys have convinced me to give the power a try to replace my cracked Toupe. Just bought it and mounted it up, will ride it tomorrrow!
Old 05-06-2017, 07:07 PM

Power

I just put a power on my bike last week, one ride, it needs some adjustments, but I could tell after that one ride that I like it. Tomorrow will be ride 2, I'm going to raise the saddle about .5cm, raise the nose a small amount and move it back about .5cm. I have been searching for a new saddle for quite a while, hope this is it. Good luck on your maiden voyage tomorrow Iansir.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:07 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansir View Post
You guys have convinced me to give the power a try to replace my cracked Toupe. Just bought it and mounted it up, will ride it tomorrrow!
either you will love it or hate it. I have 3 of them, best saddle for me. I have my nose parallel with the ground so the tail kicks up a little bit.

I also find that I can move around a little bit.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macadamia View Post
my dick didn't go numb on the power

Hahaha, that's what I wanted to say, thankfully I wasn't the first. Totally agree.

Great for crits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2017, 11:37 AM

two totally different saddles, so you may want to ride the power a few times to get used to it. You may have to run different angles for the right fit
Old 05-23-2017, 11:44 AM

One of my friends has a power and the saddle is already sagging after like a year.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro View Post
I just put a power on my bike last week, one ride, it needs some adjustments, but I could tell after that one ride that I like it. Tomorrow will be ride 2, I'm going to raise the saddle about .5cm, raise the nose a small amount and move it back about .5cm. I have been searching for a new saddle for quite a while, hope this is it. Good luck on your maiden voyage tomorrow Iansir.
Update on my Power saddle. After 6-7 more rides the rubbing on my inner thigh was causing great discomfort and chaffing. I have returned it and am about to try a Romin in a 155. They are very different from what I can tell, besides the obvious short nose on the Power. I'll post impressions after a few rides.

quattro