Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2017, 12:07 PM
Lanterne rouge

OT, resumes. Where to get one done?

All I have is an iPad so thats out. Where is a good p,ace to have a resume put together?
Is there someplace online to do it?
Maybe an app?

Any tips from a professional?

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:31 PM

You can do it on an iPad.

Jeff
Old 04-22-2017, 02:05 PM

Tip on resumes in 2017: It's all about "keywords". Hiring companies rarely read batches of resumes, they have a computer scan them for keywords that relate to the position's skill set. You have to anticipate the employer's keywords and include them in the resume.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:11 PM
ZhugeLiang

Google docs - resume template
Old 04-22-2017, 07:00 PM

library usually has Microsoft products. email yourself the .doc, open it, make changes. it should allow u to save it back to the email.

keep a copy on DropBox(cloud) or on a USB stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
All I have is an iPad so thats out. Where is a good p,ace to have a resume put together?
Is there someplace online to do it?
Maybe an app?

Any tips from a professional?

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:25 AM

i would suggest illustrator but since you're iPad only, use a service such as loft.

https://loftresumes.com
Old 04-23-2017, 05:59 AM

Patrick Moore, regular on the internetBOB and Classic Rendezvous lists, is in that business if you're looking for Pro help.

http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Old 04-23-2017, 06:06 AM

You will get varying tips on length of a resume. I personally like to read short ones (1-2 pages, with 1 being preferred) that show the experience and education more than the verbiage about how much the prospective employee can do for my company. If you are applying for an entry level job after finishing college, list part-time work done while in college. That shows initiative and work ethic. If applying for a specific job that has been listed with qualifications, make sure that you tailor the resume to that job. And, follow up after any contact or interview. Include the HR people who you met and any mid-level or senior people who talked to you.

As a President of an Aerospace company, I always was the first person that the HR people brought prospective employees to see. I told them that my people were going to interview them to see if they fit our needs, but that I wanted the prospective employee to interview us to see if we met their needs. I wanted them to visualize everything from the parking lot where they would park in the morning, to the cubicle where they would sit, to the people they would work with. If that didn't fit their need, then they should not take the job just because they needed work because they would only continue to look for another job and that wasn't going to help us or them to be productive.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:36 AM

I recently was in the job market and used resume star on the iPad, which worked nicely, but ultimately I had personal help from a friend that gave me another friends custom (paid for) resume template in ms word.

He sold me on creating a personal accomplishment section, for reference I had no relevant job experience and a new engineering degree this may, and for me it made all the difference in landing a job. I had a brief but intense cycling career racing all over the world so put a few races I won and that made all the difference in my interviews. Always had discussions about the world travel and racing...
Old 04-23-2017, 09:12 AM

Use LinkedIn to find senior executives of the companies you are interested in, email them a photo of yourself reclining naked on a tiger skin rug in front of a blazing fire, wait for the job offers.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:15 AM

^I may never have done this