Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2017, 11:02 AM

Anyone use Ride Eye Cameras?

http://www.rideye.com/

I've been wanting a camera system for some time now. If anyone has experience with this one please chime in. I'm particularly interested in if the quality is good enough to capture license plates and face recognition.

I like the Fly12 and Fly6 stuff too but the extras they have on those just jack up the price, the light and Strava app... Don't care. But I'm willing to hear reviews on those as well.

It's time to take part in holding people accountable for their behavior on the roads
Old 04-18-2017, 11:12 AM

I have one. I thought I did a bit of a review here but looks like it slipped my mind.
Bottom line - don't get it. Don't wanna beat up the guy that came up with it as it was a good idea but the functionality wasn't there.

Good video quality but audio was so muffled it was basically non-existent.
The GoPro compatible bracket broke on me.
The recording would also freeze.

I did get a replacement but it wasn't any better.
Guys were responsive but I saw reviews on Amazon that said buyers were not getting replies in a timely manner.

I went with a Veho Muvi K1 cuz they were cheap. My issue there is the incompatibility with GoPro and K-Edge mounts. I had to do a lot of filing.
Also the batteries don't last that long. Only about 2 hours and a bit.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:18 AM

I dont have a rideye but just by looking at videos on youtube of ppl ride with it, i think ti needs an anti-shake feature. As soon as the pavement arent perfect its pretty poor quality because the shake / vibrations.

That said it would likely serve the purpose of holding ppl accountable for their actions to a very similar degree of perfect video i would assume as you can still c whats going on.

Id like this sort of camera to both be for the same purpose as you but also to record a nice ride or 2 if opportunity presents itself. Feels like the rideye fall bit short in this regards perhaps?
Old 04-18-2017, 11:19 AM

I recently got the Fly6. When i looked at the video the first time, i was a little disappointed in my inability to read license plates on anything that was beside me. I was only able to see them on the parked cars i was close to, or the cars directly behind me at an intersection.

If a car were to hit me from behind, i think the camera would be able to provide me the plate. If they sideswiped me at speed, i am not sure....
Old 04-18-2017, 11:43 AM

The Fly6 is only 720. From the few cameras I've tried, I think you really need at least 1080 to catch plate numbers in motion and even then, some 1080's seemed better than others.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:05 PM

stoopid camera question:

From a practicality standpoint, don't you need a front and a rear?

I mean, if you get swiped from the rear and your camera is front facing, what good would it do?

Conversely, if you want to document a fun ride and your camera is rear facing, you're just seeing the people behind you ride.

Curious minds want to know.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:10 AM

Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes front and rear makes sense to me and RideEye sells that combination. It's disappointing to read the reviews about the RidEye however. They mostly seem to follow Veloo's advice of buyer beware. On their own website they have a blog that has not been updated in two years and has some pretty bad comments on it. At the same time some claim it's been in use through all conditions for over a year.

I think I will pass on it though. Maybe one day they will get their act together and or some competitor will. Too bad because it's really a fantastic idea.