Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2017, 11:54 AM

Fizik Aliante carbon rails .. specific clamp?

I happened on to an Aliante saddle with carbon rails. I'm not sure which bike I will try it on. The candidates are a Thomson Elite, a Record carbon, and a Syncros FL 1. All of these clamp from the top and bottom. Are carbon specific clamps available or required for these saddles? My weak Google skills are yielding "alternative facts". You guys are always good for the real truth.

Thanks,
Henry
Old 04-02-2017, 11:56 AM
Lanterne rouge

As long as they dont clamp from the sides, run it.
I did have a Thomson with a carbon Arione and the front bolt was a bit short to het the angle right but worked in the end.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:35 PM

The top clamp also needs to be fairly wide. 3T are problematic in this regard.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:37 PM

From Fizik's website, you should be okay if you avoid the side clamping or hinged rotational clamp seatposts:

Most seatposts currently on the market are compatible with our 7x9mm carbon rails. As a guide, all those fixing the saddle from the top to the bottom, for example Thompson Masterpiece (2 bolts).

The ones that are not compatible, are typically the types that fix the saddle from the sides.

There are 5 types of seatpost clamps represented:

Type A: Single Bolt Top-to-Bottom clamp
Type B: Twin Bolt (Front/Rear) Top-to-Bottom clamp
Type C: Twin Bolt (Right/Left) Top-to-Bottom clamp
Type D: Side-to-Side clamp (single bolt)
Type E: Hinged Rotational Clamp

Type A, B & C are typically COMPATIBLE with 7x9mm saddle rails.
Type D & E are typically NOT compatible with 7x9mm saddle rails

However:

For types A, B and C, we do recommend you to test or get confirmation from the seatpost manufacturer that the length of the standard bolt(s) gives sufficient thread engagement when used with 7x9mm rail and that the seatpost still passes all required test/regulations. If it is not the case, longer bolts may need to be used.

For type D & E, seeing the increase usage of oversized rails in the saddle market in general (either to adapt to new materials such as carbon, or to give additional impact and/or fatigue resistance for specific usage: DH, Freeride, heavier weight riders, etc)) manufacturers of this type of seatpost have started to offer optional clamps to fit those different dimensions. Please inquire with your selected seatpost supplier to know if they do offer this option.

http://www.fizik.com/eu_en/faq/ (last question in the Saddles section, unfortunately, photos are missing)
Old 04-03-2017, 10:25 AM

Selle SMP has some conservative guidance for carbon rails too, scroll down near the bottom:
http://www.albabici.com/selle/tech-i...smp-saddle.htm

Thompson makes a more "carbon rail" friendly clamp replacement for their posts, it is slightly deeper and seems to 'wrap' the rail better.

On the flip side, I've used a "chopper" post (thompson lower + KCNC yoke uppers) with a Fizzik Arione carbon rail saddle for 10,000 miles and it was fine.