Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2006, 11:49 PM
its just a bike right

deerfield ?

for those that have done the route....will i need to purchase a computer to follow the directions. people have said they are thorough directions but is a computer a must. maybe i will make some new friends at the ramble and i will just follow them. if you see a flare go off that will be me lost...i think there will be some kirks there so maybe we will just do a convoy..or is that a kirkvoy..hahahahahah . just kiddin i know that is stupid...thanks in advance...dave
Old 07-25-2006, 11:51 PM
Is this roundtrip?

Hey...maybe someone will have one cheap at the Jumble....
Old 07-26-2006, 12:11 AM
its just a bike right

if i put one on my bike do you think it will slow me down when climbing on dirt roads??///dave
Old 07-26-2006, 05:39 AM
Is this roundtrip?

Most certainly.

The weight of my powertap has messed considerably both with my speed *and* with my mighty um...well...nevermind.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:37 AM
JRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe
for those that have done the route....will i need to purchase a computer to follow the directions. people have said they are thorough directions but is a computer a must. maybe i will make some new friends at the ramble and i will just follow them. if you see a flare go off that will be me lost...i think there will be some kirks there so maybe we will just do a convoy..or is that a kirkvoy..hahahahahah . just kiddin i know that is stupid...thanks in advance...dave
Are you referring to a regular bike computer that shows mileage, or a GPS-type unit? I've always used the former on rides; never the latter. I'm actually thinking you might be OK without either on D2R2; the cue sheet is indeed very clear, and when in doubt just head up the narrow little dirt track that couldn't possibly be on the route!

If it's dry, you can do a fair amount of navigating on this ride just by following tire tracks. Not a lot of bike traffic on these roads!

Dave Cramer
Brattleboro, Vermont
Old 07-26-2006, 08:30 AM
its just a bike right

hey dave- cool thanks for the info. just what i was looking for. i was talking about just a mileage computer. i don't know why i just don't really want one so i am trying to put owning one off for as long as possible. it sounds like a great ride and am truly looking forward to it......thanks....dave
Old 07-26-2006, 10:15 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauwhe

If it's dry, you can do a fair amount of navigating on this ride just by following tire tracks. Not a lot of bike traffic on these roads!

Dave Cramer
Brattleboro, Vermont

The way the weather has been it might be even easier to follow the tracks in ankle deep mud.

Andreas
Old 07-26-2006, 10:25 AM
JRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas
The way the weather has been it might be even easier to follow the tracks in ankle deep mud.

Andreas
I don't even want to think about that possibility! It's going to be a perfect late summer day--blue skies, not to hot, just a hint of fall in the air...

Dave
Old 07-26-2006, 10:28 AM
JRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe
hey dave- cool thanks for the info. just what i was looking for. i was talking about just a mileage computer. i don't know why i just don't really want one so i am trying to put owning one off for as long as possible. it sounds like a great ride and am truly looking forward to it......thanks....dave
I know what you mean. I have the computer, but cover the speed display with black electrical tape. Makes me much happier.

As I recall, there aren't many really long stretches between cues on the ride, so if you have a vague sense of a quarter mile, half mile, mile you should be OK. And I'm sure there'll be helpful gadget-encrusted cyclists to help out with routefinding as well!

Dave
Old 07-26-2006, 10:29 AM
its just a bike right

yeah the 25's i run really eat up the mud. was thinking of going to the rolly pollys just need to loose the fenders...dave
Old 07-26-2006, 10:30 AM
its just a bike right

i mean lose that is, the back one is a little loose though..
Old 07-26-2006, 01:06 PM
Ape and Essence

Lose the fenders ! Shocking.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall
Lose the fenders ! Shocking.
I think it was a joke
Old 07-27-2006, 12:50 AM
its just a bike right

do you think douglas will un-invite me to join them on their ramble if i take the fenders off. although i am sarcastic and at times misunderstood i was serious since i can't run the RP with my fenders. thanks for coming to my defense andreas. but since i am lazy by nature the tires and fenders will probably stay on. where are the bobbers at..hollllllaaahhhh.maybe i'll bring a big bag too....dave
Old 07-27-2006, 06:03 AM

i did that ride in the spring. the 65 mile version.
one of the guys i was with used 23c road ... they worked. there were some places where you might be on the verge of pinch flats...but it could be done with 23s. note, however, that it was completely dry out there when i rode it. the bike was dusty at the finish but had zero mud on it. i used 28c cross tires and would use the same thing again. dont know conditions now as it has been very to extraordinarily wet at least back east in mass.
its a great ride for sure.