Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 11-26-2016, 04:09 PM
#RYFB

Refreshed Gios Super Record ('78, original owner)

Hard to decide whether to post in 'custom' or 'production', either could be judged accurate…

I bought my Gios Super Record frameset new in 1978. I still remember the styrofoam box arriving, which contained the frame (with bottom bracket cutout), fork, pantographed Campy large chainring, seatpost, and Cinelli stem, as well as a Gios wool jersey, hat, and water bottle. The jersey was consumed by moths and the hat and water bottle lost over the years, but it remained my regular road bike until I finally modernized nearly a decade ago.

I submitted it to the Gios registry in 2014. I'll take the flak for the Shimano freewheel (a concession to my aging legs' inability to climb in a 42-23) and for the trainer tire; the seat I forgive myself because one day while riding my Cinelli Unicantitor simply broke in two and I'm unwilling to shell out the ridiculous coin that people ask for them.

But it bothered me no end that despite my careful treatment it was accumulating rust around the bottom bracket and along the top tube cable guides, so late last year I decided to have Joe Bell repaint it. Gios aficionados will know that the '78 Super Record had unique decal design —*black lettering on white panels on the seat and downtubes, but black letter on clear panels on the top tube. I always preferred the slightly earlier design with all three tubes having white lettering on clear panels, so I had JB use that design. He also added red details to both the chainring and seatpost (I now have mixed feelings about these, oh well). The rest of the build is all the original Nuovo Record that I took off my too-big Masi when I bought the Gios (you can see in one of the registry photos that the shifter cutouts were painted yellow, as were all the other Masi pantographs to complement its champagne color—JB painted those red as well.)

Here she is in all her nearly-original glory, the only shortcoming being the copy hoods and the modern Fizik seat (hey, I still ride this thing sometimes and my ass is happy for this concession). None of my modern bikes match the feel of this baby, especially when descending.

Side view (very high res version)

Front view (very high res version)

I occasionally think about selling her because I don't ride her enough, but then reason prevails.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by cgolvin; 07-05-2017 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Updated links for images
Old 11-26-2016, 11:01 PM

I did not get really into riding road bikes until the 1990’s. But I remember seeing Gios bikes online in the later 1990’s and they seemed to have this elusive and exclusive quality to them. They were something I knew nothing about and felt strangely drawn to them.

Your’s has a great story and selling it would be like selling a family member
Old 12-06-2016, 10:24 PM

Very cool....have always loved these blue beauties!
Old 12-07-2016, 10:56 AM

Cool that you've held onto it--the bike looks great. Thanks for the write up. It would be interesting to see a before shot.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:01 AM
#RYFB

"before" shot

In my writeup I provided a link to the Gios registry — it's actually a link to the PDF Gios created from the photos I sent them:
http://www.giostorino.it/images/stor...ostorino95.pdf

If memory serves you can see some of the rust that was present around the bottom bracket, as well as the old yellow paint on the shifter cutouts.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:40 PM

Absolutey love it. The only critique I have is too much red around the chain rings. These are my favorite bikes, I always wanted one.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2016, 05:54 PM
#RYFB

I actually agree with you. The original pantographs on both the big chainring and the seatpost were just the Gt symbol, like on the fork crowns. JB added the red around the chainring and on the seatpost; it's possible that he mentioned it during our ongoing discussion while he had the bike but they were a surprise to me when I picked it up.

Not shown in the picture is my blue Silca pump, also bought in 1978 and still working well, and the Campy pedals. (I even still have my Detto Pietro shoes.)

Outlook is positive for Eroica (CA) this year, where my brother will join me with the Masi GC that he received (in person) from Faliero at Vigorelli in 1972.

Last edited by cgolvin; 02-10-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
In my writeup I provided a link to the Gios registry — it's actually a link to the PDF Gios created from the photos I sent them:
http://www.giostorino.it/images/stor...ostorino95.pdf

If memory serves you can see some of the rust that was present around the bottom bracket, as well as the old yellow paint on the shifter cutouts.
Got it--thanks. Nice job on the refresh and it looks like the BB was ready! More red on the chain rings just adds up to a bit more flair...
Old 04-01-2019, 05:11 PM

Thanks for the explanation about the years and the shoes... toe clips havent used those in years but still have the skill
Old 04-02-2019, 01:05 PM

Love this

That sprocket is amazing looking that is very cool.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:12 PM
#RYFB

Restomod

I finished the restomod of my Gios a couple of months ago, then on the second ride broke a spoke on the rear and had to have the wheels rebuilt, I have finally gotten around to taking a [mediocre] picture and thought I'd update this post. (Mods, I mistakenly put this in "Custom Bikes", feel free to move to Production if you have the inclination and the time.)

Some details and thanks to Paceliners who assisted, first off to 54ny77, who helped me realize that I could do the restomod without bending any metal.

Shift group is Chorus 10, which came off the Duende I bought from jumpjube, except the Veloce cranks which donevwil supplied when I was seeking a compact for Eroica.
Still original pieces are the pantographed seatpost and NR brakes.
Stem is Cinelli, bars are Soma Hwy One (I couldn't make the modern shifters work with the old Cinelli bars and pantographed stem).
Record hubs came from rwsaunders, rebuilt by Ryan at Diablo Wheel Works with H Plus Son Archetypes and 3 different kinds of Sapim spokes.
It would look a bit better with the Rolls Gold saddle that Clean39t provided, but that thing weighs a ton and is a PITA to adjust so I'm using this Antares.

After 40 years I still love riding this bike, and even more now that I don't have to take my hands off the bars to shift.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:42 PM

Darn.. now i want one of this ones

Seriously nice done man...

Old 08-03-2019, 10:28 PM

OutfrigginSTANDING!!!!! Wow that looks great.

Here's a cool Gios story for ya, which developed my admiration and affection for the signature blue rig like yours: many years ago, when I first began riding as a kid, there was an old guy in South Orange County who was a pretty well known dude in certain circles. He had to have been pushing his 80's at the time. Just the nicest, nicest guy on earth. I can't recall how I got introduced to him originally, although it might have been via one afternoon in the LBS, where one of the mechanics introduced us.

Anyway, Mickey rode a blue Gios all the time, everywhere, at his own pace. I'd see him in so many places, and he always waved. Oftentimes on weekends he'd hang out post-ride at a bakery near my house, chatting up the endless stream of cyclists and people coming by. He was like the mayor. Coming home from my own rides or with others, we'd usually hang out and talk bikes or life for a bit also. Anyone out there in South OC (California) who knew the man, I'm sure your sentiments and fond memories are similar.

Mickey is likely looking down at your awesome blue Gios, and on all of us, wishing us all miles of smiles. RIP my good man, thank you for the inspiration.

Last edited by 54ny77; 08-03-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:49 AM

Very beautiful Ike and well thought out build. That blue pops against the shinny bits. Enjoy the miles Charles.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:16 PM

Very nice! And kudos to you for being able to fit a bike you rode 40 years ago! (Maybe I could do that, but for sure the stem would be shorter and raised higher.)