Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2006, 09:46 AM

Specialized Body Geometry Shoes & Saddles?

Has anyone tried either of the BG Saddles (Toupe or Alias)?

Also any opinions on their new Pro Comp Carbon road shoes? I currently ride an Avocet O2 saddle and 7 year old Sidi Genius 4's.

I was wondering if it would really make a difference with carbon soles and the wedges that are supposed to canter the foot position to eliminate knee rotation.

Thanks

Greg
Old 07-21-2006, 10:06 AM

I tried the Alias and it didn't work for me. I've ridden a bunch of saddles, but I keep coming back to the Fizik Aliante.

I presently use the Pro Carbon - it's a great shoe. Better price than the expensive Italian stuff and a good fit for me. The cant seems to work - I used to use the LeMond LeWedges and the Pro Carbon eliminates the need.

A side note: a friend went from the Pro Carbon to Rocket 7's and he says the the Specialized feels like a brick when he rides them now.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:10 AM
Not smart

Man Saddles and Shoes are the two things that nobody can really give advice on...

That said, I like the Toupe, and it's kinda nice that it comes in a few sizes... About time for saddles.

The Specialized shoes you just gotta go try on... As for Rocket 7, I like that they're light, but I would love it if they were not so completely lacking in durability... (relative to other custom shoes like Dsquared) I would almost rather get an insert that could be used in several shoes (like Esoles).

Last edited by Frustration; 07-21-2006 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:11 AM

Well...

I also ride the Avocet 02 40M and simply love it! I recently tried the Alias on one of my bikes for a few weeks, it was ok but I came back to the Avocet. I picked up the Toupe last week and have not had the opportunity to install it yet. I think it will end up being to narrow for me but I want to give it a try.

I have had terrible foot problems for over 5 years now and have tried many shoes. Earlier this week I made an appointment to have a casting made for custom Rocket 7 shoes. On Wednesday I visited a friends shop that sells Specialized to try on the S-Works '06 shoe with the Boa closure. I didn't want to spend $275 and find out that my feet still hurt, so after trying them on and walking around the store I decided I'd follow through on the custom Rocket 7's. My friend in the shop and I were talking and he said he wore the same size shoe and had a pair of the S-Works '06 that he was not using presently, why don't you take them and try them out he said. So, I took them home, installed my cleats and rode a 1.5 hour ride last night. To my total amazement they were the most comfortable shoes I have ever ridden, you have to appreciate that I have foot pain after about 20 minutes with my present Shimano TR02 shoe, and have tried Sidi,DMT, Pearl Izumi and have had no luck in getting comfortable... Right now I'm going to hold off on the Rocket 7's and put some additional hours of riding into the S-works shoe before I return them to my friend next week. Hope this helps.

Last edited by quattro; 07-21-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:03 AM

I've been using the Toupe saddle for a few months now and it is far and away the best saddle I've tried this side of a Brooks. In the past I've had good luck with Avocet 02 and Flite family saddles. I didn't try the Alias, it seemed a little soft for me.

I've also just switched from Sidi Genius to Specialized Pro Comp Carbon shoes. So far so good. I like the angle built into the cleat (I never tried wedges before) and thier very low weight. I did switch the insole to the blue Specialized one with a little higher arch. Just a word of caution, my Specialized shoes are a full size smaller than my Sidis were. The S-works shoes were too much extra just for the Boa closure, about which I've heard some complaints of poor adjustability and uneven tension along the foot. Of course they were all from last years model, so maybe it's fixed now.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:11 AM

S-Woks shoe

From what I have read and seen, the '06 S-Works shoe was totally redesigned. There were problems with the boa system on the '05 version and they moved things around to change the pressure points. I did not try the '05 model, just the '06 and I am very impressed. The angle of the sole works for my foot problems.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:26 AM

As Frustration said saddles and shoes are highly personal.

I have the Toupe and really like it. Before that all I rode for the last 15 years were flites. The Fiziks seem to be the cats meow for a large number of people but they don't work for my a$$.

YMW(ill)V
Old 07-21-2006, 01:22 PM
swoop

the shoes rock. similar fit as sidi but stiffer souls. white red black is hot.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:52 PM

S-Works Shoes

Swoop, interesting that you say the fit is similar to Sidi, I tried both on Wednesday and I thought and they felt completely different. I have owned and ridden the Sidi Mega and could not find comfort, one hour and a half ride in the S-works and I was very comfortable, I find the shape of the sole to be very different between the two, atleast for my feet.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:05 PM
swoop

hmmm... i like the specialized having different insouls too. i was meaning that they are good for narrow feet... and more akin to sidi's than carnacs...

it's tough with shoes and saddles because its so subjective and everyone is therefore correct in their assessment.

point is .. good stuff from specialized.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:39 PM
landshark_98

I've used the specialized carbon sole shoes, with a few additional shims for three years now after having been evaluated by Andy Pruitt. It's cured a chronic knee problem and they've worn like iron. Not so sure about that boa device; I like my sidi like strap system

I also am using the Toupe after having tried to love the fizik arione for two years but getting nothing but saddle sores in return. I miss the length of the arione, but the side cut shape of the toupe treats me right. Your mileage may differ.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:50 PM
needs adult supervision

specialized shoes have great stiff carbon sole. only shoes i've tried that has a sole as stiff as shimano.