Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2016, 04:05 AM
Lanterne rouge

OT: This book of faces everyone speaks of.

I have never been on facebook. Just dont do it. Any other social media holdouts? I dont really care about most of the things I hear people do there but often find myself missing out on the whats happening and product information because it always ends up there. I dont know why but I have never had an interest. Now I am a bit facebook curious.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:03 AM

I had a Facebook account for a while years ago but closed it after the novelty of writing about what you'd been doing that day wore off. I don't have enough time to do the things I want to do without then writing about them on the internet. I haven't missed it at all and my gut feeling is that the whole Facebook phenomena is beginning to fade.

I've never done twitter and can't see the point of it.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:28 AM

I only do Instagram.

No FaceBook.

SPP
Old 10-12-2016, 05:30 AM
Administrator

No facebook account here. No interest either.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:31 AM

I just don't have time for it. Mrs. TR is on quite a bit, I think she gets a kick out of hearing what people are up to. I hear all of the important social events and all the family news from her, just like before Facebook was invented. I guess all that it does for me is Mrs. TR gets her info from there rather than picking up the phone, like in the olden' days.

I just can't understand why people get so wrapped around the axle over what someone posts on there. We all seem to let it roll of our shoulders when we hear worse things at a party, on a ride, or while at work.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:31 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
I have never been on facebook. Just dont do it. Any other social media holdouts? I dont really care about most of the things I hear people do there but often find myself missing out on the whats happening and product information because it always ends up there. I dont know why but I have never had an interest. Now I am a bit facebook curious.
Don't do it unless you need , absolutely NEED to find somebody. It is a black hole, a swirling abyss that you will not be able to get out of..just say no..

-Not on falsebook, never have been, never will be. Nor twitter, not all the others..

-email, this forum, cyclingnews forum..and that's it.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:41 AM

Have been tempted but wife passes on family news from it. Looks like a huge time suck so maybe when I retire but I'm so far behind other reading that it would only make me feel more guilty. This is bad enough.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:53 AM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Don't do it unless you need , absolutely NEED to find somebody. It is a black hole, a swirling abyss that you will not be able to get out of..just say no..

-Not on falsebook, never have been, never will be. Nor twitter, not all the others..

-email, this forum, cyclingnews forum..and that's it.
Sort of my feeling. Swirling abyss. Plus, I dont really give a damn what most people are doing most of the time.
The wife and I were at a nice restruant the other night. This young couple were posing with their dinner and putting the pictures on some media thing. Looked like a couple of dorks. I told the wife I would only do that with my dinner after I was completely done with it. Completely. I got "the look".
Old 10-12-2016, 06:13 AM

You all should be lucky I'm HERE! Forget Facebook; I don't even own a cellphone.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:40 AM

no facebook. never have. had myspace back in the day, and mainly then just for networking for a band I was in. so when FB became the thing, and the band was dead, I went "meh." wife has FB, so if I miss something "BIG" (lol) then I'll hear from her. but my friends will still occasionally rib me for not being on it, and tag her on there, when really it's intended for me. which annoys the wife, so that's fun...

I do enjoy Instagram though. I observe far more than I actually post, but I like that it's simple and easier to consume/dismiss and it's less of a forum for people to argue or air their whole life story online at. and for me it's not so much a time suck as it is a "let me just unwind and turn my brain off for a minute..."
Old 10-12-2016, 06:55 AM

The plus side is that I get to see what my extended family is up to back east.

The downside is that family and friends will post political topics that mostly consist of "your candidate is such a loser because......., and if you vote for them, you are an idiot"

And that affects friendships.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:06 AM

Have never done the face book. At my advanced age, I figure I just have to wait a few years and it'll go away.

There's an antiques store near my hometown, and I like the guys who run it and their tastes. They use Facebook to post new stuff, some of which I've bought. I used to be able to look at their new listings without having an account, but about a year ago, I started to get a hovering 'sign in!' box whenever I went to their web page. It would be so easy to give in and sign up for an account just to see their listings, but instead, I stopped buying stuff from them online--too high a price.

Anyone watch the debate the other night and notice how many times the moderators mentioned face book? What was up with that?
Old 10-12-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmed View Post
The plus side is that I get to see what my extended family is up to back east.

The downside is that family and friends will post political topics that mostly consist of "your candidate is such a loser because......., and if you vote for them, you are an idiot"

And that affects friendships.
I'm thinking of killing my account for this reason. Good friends who are politically active think the war of ideas will be won on Facebook--and all you get is more anger, hostility and bickering. It's not like anyone will change their minds because of what you post!

It's another arena where good manners don't apply ('no arguments about religion or politics'), and people feel free to rant.

I do like getting a sense of what old friends who don't live close are up to, but the platform irritates me more than the news cheers me up.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:51 AM

I only facebook by proxy. I set up an account for my dog years ago, and he loves it.

He also has more friends than I do
Old 10-12-2016, 07:57 AM

Paceline Forum

All the social media anyone really needs.