Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2016, 02:15 PM

Suggestions for helmet that can hold a rear light

I like to have relatively low powered lights on my helmet during winter months. I have stronger head and tail lights on my bike, but I think having a non-blinding light at greater height that moves around helps draw attention.

The problem is that many helmets don't have venting slots or a rear strap that accommodate this, or they cost a ton of money. I have a Giro Indicator that fits well and offers the same breathability and protection as an expensive helmet, but there's not a good way to put a rear light on it. I'm not willing to spend over $100 just for this feature and am hoping that someone here might have some advice.

Winter is coming.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:23 PM

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpo...4&postcount=38
Old 09-08-2016, 02:28 PM

I use a Bell Sweep and added a velcro strap around the plastic piece where the adjusting wheel is. I clip a Cygolite Hotshot to the velcro strap, it works great.

Edit....this is mine.

Last edited by brockd15; 09-08-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:32 PM

I have an Abus commuter helmet with a built in multifunction rear light. It's light enough and breathes well for its intended purpose.

https://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Secu.../Urban/Pedelec
Old 09-08-2016, 02:36 PM
ferro verum est

Last edited by sonicCows; 02-13-2024 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:47 PM

I have an old Bell Metropolis helmet that has a loop on the back for a light. Cool commuter helmet but too fred for a road bike.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvc View Post
I like to have relatively low powered lights on my helmet during winter months. I have stronger head and tail lights on my bike, but I think having a non-blinding light at greater height that moves around helps draw attention.

The problem is that many helmets don't have venting slots or a rear strap that accommodate this, or they cost a ton of money. I have a Giro Indicator that fits well and offers the same breathability and protection as an expensive helmet, but there's not a good way to put a rear light on it. I'm not willing to spend over $100 just for this feature and am hoping that someone here might have some advice.

Winter is coming.
You're absolutely right; having a separate taillight at or near head height helps define the size of the object a car is approaching. A single taillight tells the driver nothing about the size or shape of what they see.

I'd even consider a WHITE flashing taillight in addition to a red light. That would get peoples' attention.

For sure, the problem is the lack of choice for helmet mounted flashers or helmets designed to accommodate a typical flashing taillight.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Bear View Post
I have an old Bell Metropolis helmet that has a loop on the back for a light. Cool commuter helmet but too fred for a road bike.
I have one of these too and also have the rain cover for it, super Fred but works good on wet and dark commutes
Old 09-08-2016, 07:27 PM

Lazer sells a cheap addition to most of their helmets, adapted for secure and ease. Built for helmet installation and correct placement

Not super sure how bright they are, but I'm one to have a night commuter set up with a rear generator light in the non drive side chai stay, one bright blinky on the seatpost and optimally one on the helmet or higher than the post one.....

I ride through various areas, busy Cambridge and Somerville into dark but busy residential suburban areas like Belmont Lexington and concord.... Etc
Old 09-08-2016, 07:39 PM

Atmos also

I too have an atmos. I use a zip tie through two of the back vent holes -- the blink sort of gets ratcheted in to a depressed area on the back. Works quite well. Happy to send a pic if of interest.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJosiahK View Post
Lazer sells a cheap addition to most of their helmets, adapted for secure and ease. Built for helmet installation and correct placement

Not super sure how bright they are
They are terrible dont bother. Not very bright and tiny, no one sees it anyways especially in a road riding position, if you ride a hybrid then maybe, still tiny and not too bright. Neat idea bad execution.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:53 PM

I wear a Louis Garneau helmet which came with a tiny round led light which is attached with velcro to the adjustment wheel on the fit adjustment. They call it the Spiderlock Vision. Its very small and unobtrusive in appearance, but is an effective light. Available on the LG website- $7.00 if I remember clearly. Maybe you could retrofit (glue) a matching velcro disc to your helmet to which you could attach the Vision.

Last edited by pitonpat; 09-08-2016 at 07:54 PM. Reason: fixed a mispelling
Old 09-08-2016, 10:34 PM

Bell Muni
Old 09-08-2016, 10:43 PM

Bill's helmet

I'd try one of these ...

https://lumoshelmet.co/
Old 09-09-2016, 07:10 AM

Just put a zip tie loop through the holes in the rear and you can hook just about any light there.