Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2016, 08:26 AM

My Garmin 500 has died.

It's been at my side since December 2009, through rain/snow/ice/cold/wind/sand/mud, and has performed flawlessly. The cracks in its hull have finally given way to the salty air and moisture that has led to its downfall. RIP Garmin 500.
I'm trying to decide between the Garmin 25,520, and 820. I use for racing/training workouts, AND I used many of the 520 features with the exception of power.
What are you guys using?
Is the 520 the obvious choice?
Garmin 520 is running almost $100 cheaper through UK mail order. Will the UK version work in the US or is the GPS chip different? Neither the UK dealer nor Garmin support could answer this one clearly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0363[1].jpg (59.6 KB, 240 views)
Old 08-25-2016, 08:31 AM
ZhugeLiang

Old 08-25-2016, 08:36 AM

GPS is the same sattelites worldwide. I've used my garmins all over the world.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:56 AM

On the 520, you can change the map file on its internal memory, which you should do anyway, because the base file is crap. DCRainmaker gives excellent instructions on how to do this on his website. I can't imagine that the actual hardware is any different.

I bought the 520 a year ago, and still really like it. It has more features than you will ever use, but I keep discovering new features (as I modify data screens) that I like.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:58 AM

I have the same crack in the same place on the bottom front of the case as you! Been like that for a few years and still going strong - though I don't have the salt to deal with here. If mine ever dies (knock on wood) I'll likely replace with a 520.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanB View Post
GPS is the same sattelites worldwide. I've used my garmins all over the world.
That's good to know. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
I have the same crack in the same place on the bottom front of the case as you! Been like that for a few years and still going strong - though I don't have the salt to deal with here. If mine ever dies (knock on wood) I'll likely replace with a 520.
Yeah, mine cracked a couple years ago, but the real demise occurred when the plexiglass screen popped off. I put a very small drop of cement on each corner to fix it, but it made it fog very badly, to the point where in daylight you can't see the numbers. It is cheaper to buy a 520 than send this one back to refurbish. I've used this 500 for 6 1/2 years, rotating it on 5 or 6 bikes. I've gotten my money's worth for sure.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:48 AM

I replaced my Garmin 500 with another new Garmin 500 from Amazon (Performance Bike). The 520 has a bunch of features, but the horrible lag in gradient reading and the very inaccurate temperature indicated led me to return it after a few weeks. Plus it has a shorter battery life than the 500. These are probably minor irritations for other riders but it sure irks me that the tech in a device from 2010 works better current models.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Blast from the past.

Well, maybe not the container of uncooked rice
Old 08-25-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Yeah, mine cracked a couple years ago, but the real demise occurred when the plexiglass screen popped off. I put a very small drop of cement on each corner to fix it, but it made it fog very badly, to the point where in daylight you can't see the numbers.
Never use superglue (cyanoacrylate) on acrylic/polycarbonate. It will fog like that.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:07 PM

I think in general, the 500 and 800 are the most stable of the Edge line of products, and they work pretty darn well. It seems to take Garmin forever to debug their newly introduced devices. They just don't have their sport and fitness line in the priority cue.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:16 PM

You got lucky with your Garmin because my 500 never worked well. I eventually returned it and upgraded to 510, but with similar issues. Random shut down, loss of data, no turn by turn when there should have been. Good luck with the newer models- I have been accustomed to now bring a paper route sheet on my rides due to the issues I've had.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Bear View Post
Never use superglue (cyanoacrylate) on acrylic/polycarbonate. It will fog like that.
Now you tell me!
Old 08-25-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onno View Post
On the 520, you can change the map file on its internal memory, which you should do anyway, because the base file is crap. DCRainmaker gives excellent instructions on how to do this on his website. I can't imagine that the actual hardware is any different.

Yes. I got hold of a very helpful guy at Garmin. He said the UK version will be the same, the main map would be blank though, and I could download the correct map file to get that corrected.
It was funny, the customer service rep had my device number on his screen while we were talking. He said my 500 was from the first batch of 200 Garmin ever produced.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:30 PM

Good deal here;

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/garmin-edge-1000-gps/