Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2006, 06:16 AM
50 bpm

Why is Floyd's hip news greeted with a yawn?

Looking over various Euro sites, it seems that Landis' hip leak and announcement over the last couple of days has not resonated with the across-the-pond media.

It's as if — and, admittedly, this is conspiracy theory here — many reporters are weary of yet another American-overcoming-health-adversity story and just don't care all that much. Or, perhaps, Landis has not proven himself worthy of notice until he does something Tour-wise.

And, actually, it hasn't really lit up this board, either. I wonder why. This is an incredible thing. I think we all knew Landis was tough; we just didn't know to what extent.

Perhaps, if he wins, his story will join those of Armstrong and LeMond and maybe he'll even make Sports Illustrated's Sportsman of the Year. (Although Zidane might have the inside track. )

Until then, it seems as though his story is a curiosity, nothing more.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:21 AM
Ape and Essence

these things have a gestation period.

You've got a point regards worldwide press views of "yet another yank in pain story".

PS - LOVE the Floyd, local kid made good
Old 07-11-2006, 06:24 AM

Its only a flesh wound.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:27 AM
if claude rains it pours

in pondering this, i wondered if racing in a drug-free
era will or should encompass folks using parts that are
not their own atmo. somewhere i read that he rides at
80% now due to the condition - or perhaps i misconstrued
that. an operation will possibly make him pain free. it may
allow him to race better. brave new world.

Last edited by atmo; 07-11-2006 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:35 AM

Floyd should release a hip x-ray to the press (but he wouldn't) - I bet that would blow quite a few minds. Yup TT, you gotta love the Floyd.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:44 AM

I think the Europeans in general and French specifically are just a little bit sick of Americans winning their grant event. After the last seven years, they were really looking forward to Jan or Ivan or someone else from that side of the pond bringing the glory back. When they see Floyd in something of a driver's seat (granted, it's very very early, but he certainly has as good a shot as anyone and better than most as of NOW), they're probably thinking along the lines of "oh no, here we go again....". Then this story just makes it seem almost inevitable that he'll win, because that's what Yanks do - they're all the time fighting through some horrendous circumstance and STILL kicking butt all over France. So the "here we go again" reaction grows even stronger. That, and the shady circumstances of this whole Tour probably create a little bit of news fatigue about the whole thing.

They loved Tyler when he rode in pain, but he was never gonna win the Tour, so he was easy to love. If Floyd gets hammered in the mountains and drops a few places, he may yet become a French hero. But if he stays on top and wins, fuggetaboutit.

We'll love him over here though. It's just what we do.

-Ray
Old 07-11-2006, 06:50 AM
Post Mod-ern

Personally . . .

. . . I am in stunned disbelief that he has hidden it so well up to now and is doing so well this year despite (now) obviously being in constant pain. I don't think they are even allowed to take aspirin during the Tour, are they? If not, that makes it all the more amazing. That dude must be HURTIN'!

But I also look at this a bit cynically after seeing so much of it. It's hard to come up with a "competitor overcomes adversity" story better then Lance's unless you can find someone who actively came back from the dead and climbed out of the grave to climb on their bike.

The TV people unfortunately do this with other sports, too. I've never seen any TV Ironman coverage that didn't interrupt the actual race (which can be kinda boring, I do admit) for some sappy human interest feature about an entrant with diabetes, or an entrant with one leg, or an entrant who's 65 yet pushes his kid with cerebral palsy the whole distance of the race in a wheelchair (that's a real one--not making it up!).

After a while you just get compassion fatigue and start yawning. That's not to degrade in any way what these people actually HAVE overcome, but the TV guys run them into the ground (not literally).

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 07-11-2006, 07:19 AM
JohnS

Maybe they think that it's all headgames. "Geez, look at Floyd, he's only at 80% and he's keeping up with us!"
Old 07-11-2006, 07:20 AM
Tom fKB

Shaq's big toe

Some basketball player gets a sore toe and doesn't play for a while. I think there's a backlash: how big a deal can riding a bike be if you can do it on one leg?

Now if he had an ailment having to to with his digestive tract like chronic constipation or explosive farting or uncontrollable bowel movements, Americans would notice because most of the tubs of lard you see all around you can only relate to that kind of thing. Actual injuries because of activity? They can't relate.

It's later than you think.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:44 AM
catulle

Why unveil the "secret" just now? Too many heroic stories with dubious ends on TV and the Internet have made us leery.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino
Looking over various Euro sites, it seems that Landis' hip leak and announcement over the last couple of days has not resonated with the across-the-pond media.

It's as if — and, admittedly, this is conspiracy theory here — many reporters are weary of yet another American-overcoming-health-adversity story and just don't care all that much. Or, perhaps, Landis has not proven himself worthy of notice until he does something Tour-wise.

And, actually, it hasn't really lit up this board, either. I wonder why. This is an incredible thing. I think we all knew Landis was tough; we just didn't know to what extent.

Perhaps, if he wins, his story will join those of Armstrong and LeMond and maybe he'll even make Sports Illustrated's Sportsman of the Year. (Although Zidane might have the inside track. )

Until then, it seems as though his story is a curiosity, nothing more.
My friends that are cycling fans during the month of July are all talking about it. I think they are waiting for the wristband atmo.

The idea that Floyd could be 80% and even start a tour seems far fetched to me.

JG
Old 07-11-2006, 07:51 AM

Part of his story is likely true. But another part of it is posturing for the media and other teams.

Not to be down on Floyd, cuz he's my fave to win, but part of the game is to downplay your chances.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino

From LA himself
But finally the last thing I’ll say to the people who don’t believe in cycling, the cynics and the sceptics. I'm sorry for you. I’m sorry that you can’t dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles. But this is one hell of a race. This is a great sporting event and you should stand around and believe it. You should believe in these athletes, and you should believe in these people. I'll be a fan of the Tour de France for as long as I live. And there are no secrets - this is a hard sporting event and hard work wins it.

JG
Old 07-11-2006, 08:07 AM
if claude rains it pours

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Greene
But finally the last thing I’ll say to the people who don’t believe in cycling, the cynics and the sceptics. I'm sorry for you. I’m sorry that you can’t dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles. But this is one hell of a race. This is a great sporting event and you should stand around and believe it. You should believe in these athletes, and you should believe in these people. I'll be a fan of the Tour de France for as long as I live. And there are no secrets - this is a hard sporting event and hard work wins it.

JG
your nuts
Old 07-11-2006, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Greene

JG

My credit was misplaced above the above text. That quote was obviously LA on last years podium, not my words.

JG