Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2006, 08:34 AM
spiderlake

Interesting Article - San Jose Mercury News

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/15000063.htm

Kinda sums up a lot of thoughts I've read on the forum, including my own.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:37 AM
if claude rains it pours

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderlake
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/15000063.htm

Kinda sums up a lot of thoughts I've read on the forum, including my own.

AWESOME ATMO

"By banning teams and anyone who has raced professionally, the organizers could reduce the impact of money. This would produce slower times -- you can see contestants walking bikes through the Alps -- but more drama. And with less money comes less incentive to cheat."
Old 07-10-2006, 09:30 AM
swoop

i race masters in socal.. there is plenty of doping... epo, steroid patches on peoples manbags.. all kinds of crap. there's a doc in the valley i heard of (actually there are a few)...you can't amputate the doping cuz it's human nature. you can only do what they are doing.. you just gotta throw a ton of money at the testing and hope you get some guys every year.

if you're going around having nearly religious faith in some dude that races bikes.. the issue is you.

i adimire all those boys because i can imagine all the crap they put up with. i see it from my friends that race d3. they just get sh*t on all the time. and at d-1 no matter doped are not.. those guys can suffer.... and so they have my respect and i admre the sport. but i don't 'believe' in them or invest them with anything religious, architypal, or faith like.
i save those sentiments for hot girls. becuase that's where they belong.. unless you are religious.... and then you have a place for that... or unless you have kids.... cuz your kids are heroic. but investing those feelings in other men... doesn't work. you can try and change human nature... which seems to be the hard way.. or you can just deal with your self emotionally at a deeper level and find out why you are investing those feelings into bike racers. people spend so much energy throwing feelings at the bike racers because the alternative is to have to deal with yourself. it's an existential thing.
they race biikes.. they don't want to be gods or anyone's daddy. we need gods and daddys and all thatjoseph campbell stuff. why burden these guys with issues that have nothing to do with them? the way to change doping is to have it not be a personal issue for you. the sport has systems in place and consquences and that's as much as they can do...
it's bike racing... it isn't love, life, cancer or anything ... it's sport. enjoy it. live vicariously through it.. but don't project so much subconscious stuff on it and then act all dissappointed when these guys are behaving predictably.

if you are this bummed out the issue is you.

Last edited by swoop; 07-10-2006 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:38 AM

good one bro
cheers
Old 07-10-2006, 09:53 AM
spiderlake

All this time..... who knew?? Thanks for setting me straight!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop
<snip>
if you're going around having nearly religious faith in some dude that races bikes.. the issue is you.
<snip>
Old 07-10-2006, 09:57 AM
PROTECT THIS HOUSE!!

Quote:
i race masters in socal.. there is plenty of doping... epo, steroid patches on peoples manbags.. all kinds of crap. there's a doc in the valley i heard of (actually there are a few)...you can't amputate the doping cuz it's human nature. you can only do what they are doing.. you just gotta throw a ton of money at the testing and hope you get some guys every year.

i adimire all those boys because i can imagine all the crap they put up with. i see it from my friends that race d3. they just get sh*t on all the time. and at d-1 no matter doped are not.. those guys can suffer.... and so they have my respect and i admre the sport. but i don't 'believe' in them or invest them with anything religious, architypal, or faith like.
i save those sentiments for hot girls. becuase that's where they belong.. unless you are religious.... and then you have a place for that... or unless you have kids.... cuz your kids are heroic. but investing those feelings in other men... doesn't work. you can try and change human nature... which seems to be the hard way.. or you can just deal with your self emotionally at a deeper level and find out why you are investing those feelings into bike racers. people spend so much energy throwing feelings at the bike racers because the alternative is to have to deal with yourself. it's an existential thing.
they race biikes.. they don't want to be gods or anyone's daddy. we need gods and daddys and all thatjoseph campbell stuff. why burden these guys with issues that have nothing to do with them? the way to change doping is to have it not be a personal issue for you. the sport has systems in place and consquences and that's as much as they can do...
it's bike racing... it isn't love, life, cancer or anything ... it's sport. enjoy it. live vicariously through it.. but don't project so much subconscious stuff on it and then act all dissappointed when these guys are behaving predictably.

what swoop said. Now who is this doctor you speak of that can supply me with test patches for my bag?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmo

AWESOME ATMO

"By banning teams and anyone who has raced professionally, the organizers could reduce the impact of money. This would produce slower times -- you can see contestants walking bikes through the Alps -- but more drama. And with less money comes less incentive to cheat."
First of all, right on to what SWOOP said. They're not hero's - they're bicycle racers. They do something I do but do it exponentially better, so I love watching them, but that's as far as it goes.

Second of all, as long as there IS professional bike racing, banning pros from Le Tour would just mean you'd have a bunch of not-yet-pros fighting for next years pro contracts. There's still be plenty of incentive to dope. I go for door #2, which the Tour of California was sort of already doing, with their Amgen sponsorship.

-Ray
Old 07-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Free Unibet

Careful....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostondrunk
what swoop said. Now who is this doctor you speak of that can supply me with test patches for my bag?
If you get some, be careful not to mix them up with any of those Park Self Adhesive Tube Patches.....
Old 07-10-2006, 10:44 AM
UN-Registered® User!

Yes and No...

Quote:
Good one Swoop! The only problem I have is when these pros make all the money they are making and when they get away with it! But as you said, that is part of the system we live in now...

As far as the local losers taking dope... Man, I don't know what to say about those. The only consolation I have is that usually when I find someone on the road that feels they have to "compete" with me, I will make them suffer!!! By all means, I don't think I could beat a doper, but they will suffer.... Me, I will go home have a beer, talk to my wife about it and have a good laugh....

Cheers brotha!

Last edited by Avispa; 07-10-2006 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Ape and Essence

When dealing with fascists....

"God and History would remember (their) judgement." He pleaded for help and asked "What answer am I to take back to my people?" (speech to League of Nations)

(Imperial Majesty, Emperor Haile Selassie I, King of Kings and Lord of Lords, Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah, Elect of God)
Old 07-10-2006, 01:02 PM
swoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avispa
Good one Swoop! The only problem I have is when these pros make all the money they are making and when they get away with it! But as you said, that is part of the system we live in now...

As far as the local losers taking dope... Man, I don't know what to say about those. The only consolation I have is that usually when I find someone on the road that feels they have to "compete" with me, I will make them suffer!!! By all means, I don't think I could beat a doper, but they will suffer.... Me, I will go home have a beer, talk to my wife about it and have a good laugh....

Cheers brotha!

not a lot of wealthy guys in the peloton.. there are a few.. but not many. the year cunego won the giro his salary was 30k.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:14 PM
catulle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall
"God and History would remember (their) judgement." He pleaded for help and asked "What answer am I to take back to my people?" (speech to League of Nations)

(Imperial Majesty, Emperor Haile Selassie I, King of Kings and Lord of Lords, Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah, Elect of God)
You ain't turning Rafta on me now, TT, are ya? (B. Marley. Babylon, 1975)