Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2016, 03:07 PM

Shimano cleat options.....

So I'm gonna replace a worn set & fill some new shoes with cleats (3 pair in all so lots of cleats needed).

Shimano isn't terribly expensive but I'm seeing a couple of options.....

#1.) BV (Bikepak?) USA??? These are $13 vs Shimano's $19 (in yellow) and definitely appear unique as the clip engagement lip has some white in the plastic mold which may or may not just be colorized.

https://www.amazon.com/BV-Cleats-Com...e+Cleats&psc=1

#2.) China. These puppies are like $7 on Amazon & $5 on ebay. Sounds great & look right but extreme price difference always makes me wonder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Road-Self-Lo...1%26rkt%3D1%26

I might even consider trying both myself and then I could report back for sure but hoping maybe somebody here's already done that and can give advice?

TIA!
Old 08-13-2016, 03:25 PM
Lanterne rouge

Yeah, I bought some used pedals that came with some cheap ass knock off cleat. They didnt last even half as long. They worked when new. Just go with the good ones.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:13 PM
You still here?

The Shimano cleats last at least a season. $19 is cheap.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:46 PM

Thanks for the feedback so far.....

A couple interesting notes in case it interests anyone.....

The BV/Bikepak cleat has what they call a "split" design. I wondered why anyone would change half a cleat, but then realized the interface "indexes" the cleat so you could replace them and mate them up in the exact same place the old ones were. Doesn't speak to quality, but definitely intriguing.

Here's a video on their Look version....

And there's another player in the game which comes from Taiwan. I consider the Taiwanese and Koreans seriously as their level of quality is stepping them away from China and more toward Japan.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exustar-SPD-...wBahVZ7CQ#rwid

Cheap is relative and I'm not opposed to giving Shimano their $19 but always looking for more N+1 funds.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:33 PM

I have found the 3rd party spd-sl cleats to pretty much suck and I wouldn't waste any money on them. Shimano have this system so well designed and sorted that I wouldn't mess with any substitutions.

The spd-sl system and cleat design has been unchanged (but for the addition of the third cleat option, the blue ones) since they were introduced in the fall of 2002. That's gotta tell you something.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:37 PM

I buy the real ones. Looks like they'll meet your budget if you buy overseas.. (~$13)

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shiman...cleats-spd-sl/

replace 1x per season..
Old 08-13-2016, 06:16 PM

Good find, though the reds are $13. The yellows are $15. I like my joints so I stick with yellow.

But I also just scored a pair at $16 off the bay so not too shabby. I may still try the others and share results here. Knowledge is good.

As a funny side note........I find this auction HILARIOUS......(had to screen cap listing as seller just took it down but trust me, these are absolutely toast! ).....

Old 08-14-2016, 06:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by loimpact View Post
So I'm gonna replace a worn set & fill some new shoes with cleats (3 pair in all so lots of cleats needed).

Shimano isn't terribly expensive but I'm seeing a couple of options.....

#1.) BV (Bikepak?) USA??? These are $13 vs Shimano's $19 (in yellow) and definitely appear unique as the clip engagement lip has some white in the plastic mold which may or may not just be colorized.

https://www.amazon.com/BV-Cleats-Com...e+Cleats&psc=1

#2.) China. These puppies are like $7 on Amazon & $5 on ebay. Sounds great & look right but extreme price difference always makes me wonder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Road-Self-Lo...1%26rkt%3D1%26

I might even consider trying both myself and then I could report back for sure but hoping maybe somebody here's already done that and can give advice?

TIA!
If you ever pull out of a pedal when you don't want to, you'll never forget it..step up and buy proper cleats..
Old 08-14-2016, 06:33 AM
needs adult supervision

Just a data point: I used the yellow cleat forever, but recently switched to the blue. I like it better. Very solid, stable feel, with just a touch of float. If you're of a curious nature, that could be an experiment worth trying? I bet you could easily move the blue cleats here if you didn't like them.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Just a data point: I used the yellow cleat forever, but recently switched to the blue. I like it better. Very solid, stable feel, with just a touch of float. If you're of a curious nature, that could be an experiment worth trying?
+/- 1ยบ on that. I got some new 9000 pedals with blue cleats and removed my aging yellow cleats. I attached the blue cleats exactly where I had the yellow and found the position of the cleat was a bit off but because the yellow had so much float I did not notice. The blue cleats works perfect for me. I don't think I could go red though.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
If you ever pull out of a pedal when you don't want to, you'll never forget it..step up and buy proper cleats..
What OP said.
Cleats perform two functions--retention and release. Bodily injury can result from the failure to perform either. Not a place to cheap out IMHO.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:36 PM

VP cleats

I use them in place of Look Keos. Better cleat, and the two-piece system is brilliant for maintaining precise position.

Not low quality by any means.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscott View Post
I use them in place of Look Keos. Better cleat, and the two-piece system is brilliant for maintaining precise position.

Not low quality by any means.
I take it you're referring to the BV/Bikepak split system?