Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2016, 05:28 PM

Need a New on-bike pump- not Lezyne

Short version: I would like a reliable, high quality on-bike pump for rides. I can store it on my bike or in a jersey pocket. Any suggestions for something that has some power to pump up tubes on the road would be appreciated.....

Long Version: I flat maybe once a year and today was that day. My last flat was about 5000 miles ago, last summer and I had a similar experience then as I had today. For todays event, I removed the flatted tube, pulled out a Schwalbe extra light tube, put it in, use the co2 inflator, which somehow fails to inflate the tube. So, I pull out the Lezyne Road drive, push it on the valve and pump. Nothing. I examine the valve and all seems ok, so I try again Nothing. I try blowing into the valve and there is no inflation of the tube. I decide it is a bad tube.

I search for a quick patch, find the hole in the damaged tube put the Lezyne on to test it and the tube inflates. Great news. So, then I take the pump head off the tube and the tube deflates and the valve core comes out. I repeat this process until I have run out of swear words. Then I recall my last flat experience where I had a similar problem with the Road Drive pump removing valve cores. Longish walk in 90 degree heat. Enough is enough.

I know this issue has been discussed before, recently in this thread http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...ht=pump&page=3 . My road drive is older and does not have the pressure relief valve that some suggest is a solution to this problem of the pump hose removing the valve core, but I think I am done with this pump, it just has bad juju for me and i would like something else to start fresh.

I know little about the choices, but I don't mind paying for something high quality that will work when I need it. It was a long walk today......
Old 07-13-2016, 05:35 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheart View Post
Short version: I would like a reliable, high quality on-bike pump for rides. I can store it on my bike or in a jersey pocket. Any suggestions for something that has some power to pump up tubes on the road would be appreciated.....

Long Version: I flat maybe once a year and today was that day. My last flat was about 5000 miles ago, last summer and I had a similar experience then as I had today. For todays event, I removed the flatted tube, pulled out a Schwalbe extra light tube, put it in, use the co2 inflator, which somehow fails to inflate the tube. So, I pull out the Lezyne Road drive, push it on the valve and pump. Nothing. I examine the valve and all seems ok, so I try again Nothing. I try blowing into the valve and there is no inflation of the tube. I decide it is a bad tube.

I search for a quick patch, find the hole in the damaged tube put the Lezyne on to test it and the tube inflates. Great news. So, then I take the pump head off the tube and the tube deflates and the valve core comes out. I repeat this process until I have run out of swear words. Then I recall my last flat experience where I had a similar problem with the Road Drive pump removing valve cores. Longish walk in 90 degree heat. Enough is enough.

I know this issue has been discussed before, recently in this thread http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...ht=pump&page=3 . My road drive is older and does not have the pressure relief valve that some suggest is a solution to this problem of the pump hose removing the valve core, but I think I am done with this pump, it just has bad juju for me and i would like something else to start fresh.

I know little about the choices, but I don't mind paying for something high quality that will work when I need it. It was a long walk today......
New Silca.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:00 PM

I know you say you are done with the Lezyne pump, but does the core comes off the valve if you detach the hose from the pump-proximal end first and then detach from the valve?
I have to say that the above method has worked for me great so far and I have not extracted the cores in my setup. Of course YMMV...
Old 07-13-2016, 06:01 PM

Unscrew it from the pump first. Then from the valve.

Problem solved.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:20 PM

The Blackburn mini works well enough but takes 150 - 200 strokes to get a Pro4 25 mm endurance to 85 lbs or so.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:24 PM

I've got a specalized air tool road (the long one, not the mini)

I've used it a few times and while I can't recall how many pumps it took to inflate a 28, it wasn't too bad. It's a pretty simple alloy pump but it looks and works nice for its $30 price.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnny View Post
I know you say you are done with the Lezyne pump, but does the core comes off the valve if you detach the hose from the pump-proximal end first and then detach from the valve?
I have to say that the above method has worked for me great so far and I have not extracted the cores in my setup. Of course YMMV...

I had to use my Lezyne the other day. I was dealing with a slow leak about 20 miles from home. I was too lazy to put in a tube but used my Lezyne 4 times to get home. I just did the above method without issue.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:41 PM

You could also run tubes without a removable core.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:42 PM

So I was the OP of the other Lezyne thread and it sounds like you're having the same issues I had. Did you try threading the pump on to the valve or were you just pushing it on?

I had forgotten that Lezyne threads onto the valve and it absolutely will not seat and pump air unless you do so.

After someone here pointed that out (and the nice folks at Lezyne tech support), I went home and tried it.....voila, it worked and I felt like this:

Hopefully yours is the same issue.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:54 PM
needs adult supervision

I'm thinking about one of these:

https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/inflation/magic-flute
Old 07-13-2016, 06:56 PM

I usually thread the hose onto the valve stem then thread the pump body to the hose. Most times this works just fine and I usually just buy Schwalbe tubes that do not have removable cores, BUT, there are a few odd tubes in my tool box and one with a removable core worked its way onto the bike for this ride.

I talked to the fellows at Lezyne and they repeated some of the advice in the other thread ..... I might just try one of the new hoses with the pressure relief valve before I opt for another solution. I do have an old Silca frame pump somewhere in the garage...........
Old 07-13-2016, 07:26 PM
Administrator

if you give the valve core a quick tightening with a needle nose pliers, it wont happen again, problem solved.

that said, i caught a good sale and have been carrying the new pocket silca. it wasnt something i needed, but i bought it, and i like it. well made piece of kit.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
I carried this thing around for months until I had to use it. Blew through the 3 CO2 cartridges I had and barely got any air in the tube and then the mini pump would only expel air through the CO2 attachment. Ended up calling for a ride, threw the POS away and bought a full sized frame pump.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:43 PM

Sheesh. I guess ive just been lucky. Been using my genuine innovations second wind for like 7 or 8 years. Maybe 3 or 4 flats a year and its been just dandy. Co2 or pump.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:44 PM

Need a New on-bike pump- not Lezyne

Just buy a new hose with the pressure release valve, much cheaper than a new pump.
I use Lezyne pumps for the whole family and no problems.
I also tighten the valve cores on all tubes as they are often pretty loose and leak slowly.

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Jonesman Custom