Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2016, 08:22 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

MTB fatality in MA Stare Park

Bad crash

Found by other cyclists

Died before EMS could get there

Be safe out there & ride with someone if you are venturing onto the less traveled byways

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:13 AM
Epic=No Smiles

This always scares me a bit. I ride solo 99% of the time, and often do solo night rides, too. My wife would eventually notice I hadn't come home, but finding a downed cyclist in a park at night would not be easy...
Old 06-27-2016, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
This always scares me a bit. I ride solo 99% of the time, and often do solo night rides, too. My wife would eventually notice I hadn't come home, but finding a downed cyclist in a park at night would not be easy...
do you carry a cell phone? i'm no expert, but i think there are numerous apps now that let a phone essentially act like a rescue beacon when in that mode.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:21 AM
Epic=No Smiles

I carry my iphone, so unless I break my neck or suffer a TBI, I'll be ok.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:34 AM
Classics Fan

Hopefully this isn't related to the news of people stringing up cables in MA state forests last month.

Sad.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:35 AM

Making me want to check in on people I know who ride up there. (It was Lowell-Dracut SF BTW, a great place to ride.)
Old 06-27-2016, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Man that sucks!

There are a lot of technical trails I like to ride, but there are very rocky in places and I don't feel comfortable riding solo out in the woods on these trails. Go down and you are landing on uneven rocky terrain. Fire roads and less technical stuff no problem going solo.

William
Old 06-27-2016, 09:41 AM

That is terrible ...

Sorry to hear about a rider down. I too ride solo most of the time and last year broke my ankle. Totally an epic dealing with all the fallout. Now back riding with the ROAD ID app. This is a free app that you can identify the people/phones to notify. The app sends a url that tracks you as you ride and can be configured to alert of no movement after 5 minutes. For me, my rides have cell coverage through entire ride, but if not the alert will alarm if connectivy is lost. Highly recommended.

When I broke my ankle, I knew right away because it was pointing in the wrong direct even through there was little pain. I was literally 500 yards from the road and could see cars passing. I called my wife first (mistake one) and she called 911. 911 called me and I spent the better part of 45 minutes trying to describe where I was and trying to get Lat/Long from my iphone (actually surfing the app store trying to download something). The firemen that carried me out were MTB guys and knew the trail so that was not too bad, although I caught my wife offering to sell my ride to one of the EMT's eyeballing the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post

Last edited by IFRider; 06-27-2016 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Adding details
Old 06-27-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Man that sucks!

There are a lot of technical trails I like to ride, but there are very rocky in places and I don't feel comfortable riding solo out in the woods on these trails. Go down and you are landing on uneven rocky terrain. Fire roads and less technical stuff no problem going solo.

William
Not sure I get this fear, I was just solo MTBing this morning in a technical area.

I can have a good time at different paces through a technical section. If I'm by myself I can slow down to reduce risk. When I have to bail on technical sections at lower speeds I usually don't even go down, I just put a foot down and stop awkwardly or something. I'd have to be relatively stupid and hit a section at high speed as if I was making a race effort or something to stack up a really big crash. I see this as a lot like downhill skiing or snowboarding.. you see a section, you need to recognize a) Is this way above my skill level to ride at all b) If it's within your skill level, how fast are you going to ride it. If I am riding with other people in case b) Maybe I can ride the section a little faster and accept a bit higher risk since I'm not alone.

Meanwhile on the road speeds are just high anyway and a car can come along and take you out. Only real difference is at least on the road someone will find you faster but it feels like you have more control of the risk level in the woods.

That said I am firmly in the X/C camp. I don't take many big risks, jumps, etc... Downhill speed obviously matters a bit more in MTB than in road but you still win or lose on the climbs and being able to cleanly ride through stuff without having to get off the bike. Folks doing gravity style MTB are taking way higher risks.. I don't think I'd do that at all alone, I don't really do that at all period.

One other thing, you can have some nasty bike failures in either discipline.. I would be more scared of a front rim brake failure on the road than I would be of a front disc failure in the woods.. my brakes on my MTB can safely stop me just about anywhere with one brake broken, I don't feel that's true on my road bike. Front brake failure on a mountain descent on the road is about the scariest failure condition I can think of other than a front wheel blowout.

Last edited by benb; 06-27-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:44 PM

Old 12-28-2016, 07:45 PM

Sad to say I was actually riding here that day. There was a good chance I would have been the one to find the body. I was feeling kinda meh that day and was going to cut the ride short and would have taken the trail where the body was found. Thankfully I decided to push through the ill feeling and kept riding. I had a great ride then I ran into the police on my way out and opted to go around the scene. Ironically some of the fellas I was riding with at the time opted not to ride that day, talk about a sixth sense. This was not a mtb’er in the way most of the people who frequent this forum would think.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyorBust View Post
This was not a mtb’er in the way most of the people who frequent this forum would think.
Just curious, what do you mean by this?
Old 12-28-2016, 07:57 PM
The B!

Might be helpful to send your location to someone.... a feature on iphones, and maybe others?

Just be careful about who you choose, and what you're doing when not night riding trails....
Old 12-28-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
Just curious, what do you mean by this?
Tweeker
Old 12-28-2016, 08:20 PM

I ride solo all the time and have ventured out into the deep woods on my own quite a few times. I text the wife before I run out of cell coverage to let her know where I went in and what time. Better safe than sorry.