Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2016, 05:03 PM
Kind of OK

Hypothetical: Performance diffs between '99 Atlanta and newer (2004?) CSi?

What would the performance difference be between my beloved '99 Serotta Atlanta and say, a 2004 (ish) CSi? Given stock geometry.
I really love my Atlanta and was wondering if the CSi would be like turning it up to 11.

Just dreaming.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:12 PM

I really doubt you would see any difference at all. I if you are on an Atlanta that fits correctly and you like the way it looks I would stick with it.

Coming from a guy who just picked up a CSI
Old 06-14-2016, 05:53 PM
You still here?

I've had both. There are differences but they are small, all things considered equal. BUT, the CSi was Serotta's steel flagship and arguably the pinnacle of steel bikes in its day, so that knowledge may be worth the difference, at least emotionally.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:12 PM

I have wondered about this as well. I have a '98 Atlanta that fits perfect, IMO and I ride the snot out of it. It's a little cosmetically challenged so I have a search set up for a CSI in my size. I probably couldn't tell the difference but it would be fun to find out.

FWIW I did buy another Atlanta a couple of years ago that had very nice paint and a carbon fork. I got rid of it as I prefer the Atlanta with a steel fork.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:33 PM

Serotta's description of the Atlanta was "85% of the ride of a CSi for 60% of the cost." I owned a CSi and I rode an Atlanta once. They were both excellent bikes but they had different components so I can't make a direct comparison.

If the price of a CSi is reasonable I would buy it and see which bike I preferred. I don't think you could lose much buying/selling bikes like these and the experiment would be fun assuming you can swap parts yourself.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:37 PM

I had a my CSI is a 98 I think and I had a similar year (maybe 95-96) legend CR. If the CR was a tad larger I would still own it. I have zero complaints about that bike and I don't really think it is a lot different than my CSI.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:57 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
I had a my CSI is a 98 I think and I had a similar year (maybe 95-96) legend CR. If the CR was a tad larger I would still own it. I have zero complaints about that bike and I don't really think it is a lot different than my CSI.
IIRC the CR was the immediate predecessor to the CSi.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
CR/CRL only made in 1993 and 1994, replaced by CSI in 1995.

I have an Atlanta, a CSI, and two Colorado IIs. I doubt I could tell the difference among them if the frames were all wrapped in tape and had the same components.

There are very slight differences in geometry. Atlantas only came in even sizes so if you're set on a 1 mm difference in TT length, the CSI has that to offer. In the bigger sizes the Atlanta had slightly less standover, but not enough to be noticeable.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
IIRC the CR was the immediate predecessor to the CSi.
Thanks, Dave. Maybe that explains it. I think the CR had a little thicker walls (more weight) but I looked and rode like my CSI.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:15 PM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
CR/CRL only made in 1993 and 1994, replaced by CSI in 1995.

I have an Atlanta, a CSI, and two Colorado IIs. I doubt I could tell the difference among them if the frames were all wrapped in tape and had the same components.

There are very slight differences in geometry. Atlantas only came in even sizes so if you're set on a 1 mm difference in TT length, the CSI has that to offer. In the bigger sizes the Atlanta had slightly less standover, but not enough to be noticeable.
That's interesting. I'm riding a 60 Atlanta and probably the one thing I'd change would be to shrink the bike 1cm over all. As it is I'm running a -17 stem that's sitting right on the top of the headset and I'd really like about a 1cm shorter TT (and longer stem) to make it a bit easier to initiate into corners.. Good to know.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:30 PM

'98 (for example) CSI was 59 x 59, so perhaps a CSI would be better for you. 59 TT is long enough for me too, but I find I'm OK with a 60 if the HT is tall enough. I'm not sure how that shakes out between the two models. My Atlanta is a 58, but the CSI may be a custom. Will have to check.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Dave. Maybe that explains it. I think the CR had a little thicker walls (more weight) but I looked and rode like my CSI.
Maybe Dave Kirk will chime in - my guess is that Serotta had taken the tubing about as far as they could with the CRL, which was a lighter tubeset than the CR. CSI had some detail changes with cable routing and such, but I doubt there are any substantial differences from the CRL. It would be interesting to weigh a CRL and CSI of the same size. The CRL is my favorite (in theory, I've not owned one) as I like the internal cable routing - plus it's in the era when Serotta was still sponsoring Coors Light. I assume some of the team rode CRLs.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:59 AM

I own one of each and I'd say the CSI is noticeably better at just about everything. It's stiffer, lighter, livelier and even rides nicer. I like the Atlanta but I love the CSI. Steel forks on both, by the way.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
That's interesting. I'm riding a 60 Atlanta and probably the one thing I'd change would be to shrink the bike 1cm over all. As it is I'm running a -17 stem that's sitting right on the top of the headset and I'd really like about a 1cm shorter TT (and longer stem) to make it a bit easier to initiate into corners.. Good to know.
Another few years and you will be happy you are able to raise your bars. Trust me on this point.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
I own one of each and I'd say the CSI is noticeably better at just about everything. It's stiffer, lighter, livelier and even rides nicer. I like the Atlanta but I love the CSI. Steel forks on both, by the way.
Hmmmmm. So who can hook me up with a CSI- 58cm square with Harlequin paint? I think one was being sold here in recent years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 12.44.50 PM.jpg (29.1 KB, 58 views)