Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2006, 01:35 PM

Help me with a little Serotta related dilemna

This is a tough post to make, but hopefully you guys and gals can provide some advice or help to me.

I bought a early 90s era Serotta Colorado LT with full Dura Ace Group over the winter from a guy in Western Mass. The bike is a 54cm and it fits me great and the ride is like buttah. It is an awesome bike and I love riding it.

However, I just had to spend major bucks on an unforeseen car repair bill and now things are pretty tight financially for me.

I would like to keep this bike, but I keep thinking that money from the sale could really help with my financial crunch right about now.

My other bike is a Surly Karate Monkey and it could serve as an on and off road bike until I get back on my feet financially.

Can you guys estimate the fair market value for my bike? What would be the best avenue to try and sell it? Here in the classifieds or via ebay?

I'm just trying to gather up some information before making a decision.

Thank in advance for any advice you can provide.

The contemplation of whether or not to sell or keep is wearing on me.

Here are a couple of pics in case they might help.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:39 PM
Ape and Essence

Keep it. You'll kick yourself many times over if you sell.

Sell the car.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:41 PM

Thats a cool color combo. If it were a 53....

I leave the guesstimating up to the more seasoned Serottaphiles.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall
Keep it. You'll kick yourself many times over if you sell.

Sell the car.
I'm not sure how to put a price on the bike. What would be a fair market value for it?

I wish I could sell my POS car - but I've got two sons that need to get to baseball games etc. etc.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:07 PM

I don't know exactly what you will get, but remember most bikes lose half their value their first year of riding. I doubt you will get enough money to ease the pain of losing that bike.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:12 PM

I just looked back at some of my old threads when I first got this bike......I have to hang on to it........it is a classic.

Hell I've got some golf clubs laying around that I haven't used in years, and I'm sure I can find some other items to unload on craigslist or via a tag sale.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:27 PM

I'd be shocked if you could sell it for more than about $450-600 but you never know. I know every time I sell a bike I feel like I gave it away. Hard to let go.

It's worth far, far more keeping it...if you ride it of course.

I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:32 PM

Yep I do ride it as much as time allows.

It rides so great.

Hope the tires hold up for a few more miles though.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Pedals

Hold on to it.

I believe my friend Doug sold you this at a fire sale price. This thing was like new, compnents and all. You will never get anything like this again for what you paid. keep it.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:42 PM

Well, that's a good point. Check your rubber. If it's old it could lead to catastrophic failure. Better to put some cheap rubber on than to take a risk. While you're at it, check all your cables and look at your rims. Judging by the looks of your Serotta I bet you've taken good care of it.

I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:47 PM

The bike is in amazingly great shape, the seller is a great guy and even included touch up paint.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:06 PM

I'd go to eBay and check the "completed items" section for sold Serottas. Usually used bikes are like used race cars.....not worth much.

When they are old enough to be classic it's a different deal.

Sorry about your situation.........I've been there.

Dave
Old 06-23-2006, 04:32 PM

A glance at completed auctions on eBay shows older Colorados going between $400-800. A 2005 model with Shimano 105 went for $1,000. An 8-speed with Dura-ace went for $765. There's a mid-90s, size 49, with like the opposite of your color scheme and a mix of Campy components that's now at a bid of $406. The ask prices on the classifieds at this forum suggest a higher range, but it's not obvious from the forum listings that they are actually selling at those prices.

I'd put yours at the high end of the range, but if it were mine, I wouldn't take $800 for it unless I was selling it to a friend or in difficult circumstances. Of course, only you can assess whether your circumstances make sale necessary. Whatever you decide, good luck.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Helianthus annuus

Anyone who notices real quality will remark on the Mavic headset. These were beautiful and lasted a long, long time. Pristine bikes are routinely worth about half or less of their original value, even moments after a brand new purchase (unless they are a fad). The good news is that the curve slows down and about half is about right if the bike is very, very clean. However, threaded, lugged, and this bike is far out of fashion. The market is reduced to folks who like this sort of thing (fewer and fewer) and that does nothing to sustain a great bike's value. Depending on your financial straits, selling gets to be not-really-worth-it. Ask my basement.

dbrk
Old 06-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Ape and Essence

Glad you came to your senses. Lots of great golf clubs can be found in 3 feet of water