Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 05-01-2016, 03:14 PM

1991 Serotta Davis Phinney, Morgul Bismark kit

So this was the bike I got to train on back in the day. I raced off road for the Morgul Bismark team in the early 90s. Morgul was owned by Davis Phinney, Ron Keiffel, and Randy Gaffney. Friends and guys that I regularly trained with included Timm Peddie, Tyler Hamilton, Eddie Gragus, Chris Wherry, etc.

It's a custom purple (it's got a nice sparkle to it that doesn't come through real clear in the pics) with fluorescent yellow stickers. It originally had a fluorescent yellow fork, and the guys that raced on the road, their bikes had a fluorescent yellow rear triangle. My T-max that I actually raced on had the fluorescent yellow rear triangle.

It came with a Shimano 600 group, and still has the 600 brakes, front hub, front der, and seatpost. Everything else was replaced - lots of weird, one-off stuff from tiny companies, some of which I guess are out of business. Craig stem, Curve quickreleases, Syncros titanium bottom bracket, Mavic starfish cranks, Speedplay pedals, prototype carbon forks from Ventana (I raced off road for Ventana a couple years later - I think they were actually made by Wound-Up) and then Campy Chorus shifters, rear hub and rear der.

It's a lovely ride, but not in pristine condition - it was actually RIDEN! (And crashed, and shipped, and piled up, and thrown in the backs of trucks and tops of cars...) Apologies for the crappy pictures.

The bike has a lot of sentimental value. Curious what anyone else thinks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4358.jpg (134.2 KB, 667 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4360.jpg (125.9 KB, 666 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4364.jpg (84.9 KB, 667 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4372.jpg (108.0 KB, 660 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4378.jpg (130.4 KB, 663 views)
Old 05-01-2016, 04:48 PM

Love it. What features did a Davis Phinney model have that a "regular" Colorado CR/CRL didn't?
Old 05-01-2016, 06:11 PM

I don't remember the numbers exactly, but it was set up for crits - Phinney's specialty. As a sprinter, he had biceps that could crack walnuts. So it had steeper angles and a longer top tube. I have a long torso, and in my younger years liked bikes that were a little twitchy, so it was good for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2016, 08:46 PM

THAT'S a bike with a lot of personality and character. Few come around like that. Needless to say; I don't think I have to tell you-DON'T EVER SELL IT.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelldewitt View Post
I don't remember the numbers exactly, but it was set up for crits - Phinney's specialty. As a sprinter, he had biceps that could crack walnuts. So it had steeper angles and a longer top tube. I have a long torso, and in my younger years liked bikes that were a little twitchy, so it was good for me.
Guessing that's a 58 cm frame, specs are based on that.

Phinney HTA and STA were both 74 degrees, vs. 73.5 and 73 for other models. TT was 58.5 on a 58 cm frame. Other Serottas were 57 (or 58 for the EX frames). Phinneys had shorter chainstays by 5 mm and 71 rake vs. 43 for other Serottas.

I'm wondering if the color is the same as the purple used on late Coors Light frames. Also wondering if the jersey I posted is greatly faded, as it's a much lighter purple than the frame.

Last edited by oliver1850; 05-01-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:13 PM

Awesome. I'm really loving all the rare, mis-matched stuff. great looking bike with a story and a certain personality. really cool!
Old 05-04-2016, 09:29 AM

@oliver1850 Thanks for the numbers! It's actually a 56cm. Where did you find those stats? I'd like to look up the 56's actual numbers.

@PeterP. I wish! Unfortunately, it is at the bottom of a pile of bikes in my basement that just got one bigger, so everyone on this forum knows what the wife says: something's gotta go.

Old 05-07-2016, 03:43 PM

Download the 1991 catalog here for full geo chart:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=82673

56 Phinney:

HTA 74
STA 74
TT 57
stay 410
rake 41
drop 70
Old 05-08-2016, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter p. View Post
that's a bike with a lot of personality and character. Few come around like that. Needless to say; i don't think i have to tell you-don't ever sell it.
+1000
Old 05-09-2016, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the props!

And thanks @oliver1850 for the numbers and the catalog.

It's such a great ride. Will be sad to part with it. Planning on getting in a ride or two on it before parting.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:18 PM

Serotta Davis Phinney on the Bay!

I regret to inform everyone that I've made the decision to part with this bike. Thanks for the love. It's now available on eBay, with 10% of the proceeds going to the Davis Phinney Foundation.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelldewitt View Post
I regret to inform everyone that I've made the decision to part with this bike. Thanks for the love. It's now available on eBay, with 10% of the proceeds going to the Davis Phinney Foundation.
What a cool bike and good on you to give a little back. Thanks for posting and good luck on the sale.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:30 AM

Holy moley I cant believe my eyes! Does anyone know what fork that is? I think I have the same fork on one of my bikes, I have never been able to find an answer to what exactly it is. Always thought it was a straight bladed Kinesis or Wound Up of some type.

Wait, I think I might have found it…
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-CX-Fo...p2047675.l2557

An early Wound Up? Yup looks like it?! Sweet bike btw!
Old 06-17-2016, 10:41 AM

The story is that I raced off-road for Ventana in 1995 or so. They were thinking about selling these forks so we got a handful of them to try out. I do believe the blades were made by Wound Up. Ventana machined the crown and drop outs.

I've only ever seen one other similar pair recently, but it was set up with cantilever posts - assumedly for a cross bike. Same as the one on eBay you link to.