Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2016, 11:00 AM
all slow no go

Compass Bicycles Tires

Need some nice new tires (with the roads clearing a bit here, my cross bike needs to shed the knobblies), thinking about some of the offerings from Compass, but... other than the slight tread difference and branding, anyone know what (if any) differences there are between the Grand Bois Cypres and the Compass Stampede Pass?

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...00cx32-cypres/

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/70...stampede-pass/
Old 01-30-2016, 11:47 AM

The short answer is that there is very little difference.

The longer answer is that Compass offers an all black and from Jan's blog (granted regarding the extralights):

"The casings are very similar between the Compass Extralight and Grand Bois Extra Leger tires. The weight difference is in the tread. We reduced the tread thickness on the edges, where it rarely touches the road and thus doesn't wear significantly"

The big question for you is "Standard" or "Extralight" casing. I've ridden both "Standard" models and they are wonderful.

Last edited by donevwil; 01-30-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:05 PM
all slow no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
The short answer is that there is very little difference.

The longer answer is that Compass offers an all black and from Jan's blog (granted regarding the extralights):

"The casings are very similar between the Compass Extralight and Grand Bois Extra Leger tires. The weight difference is in the tread. We reduced the tread thickness on the edges, where it rarely touches the road and thus doesn't wear significantly"

The big question for you is "Standard" or "Extralight" casing. I've ridden both "Standard" models and they are wonderful.
Thanks! Some of those blog posts made for a good read. Probably going to go with the standard myself (I could stand to save that $40 if the standards are as good as claimed), and since the Grand Bois are out of stock, Compass it is for now!
Old 01-30-2016, 06:02 PM

Compass Bicycles Tires

I think the tread section is slightly thicker on the Compass tires, but the ride quality is the same. The one Compass tire that is markedly better than the GB counterpart is the 650bx40 Babyshoe. Compass also offers more size variety.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 01-30-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:18 AM
all slow no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
I think the tread section is slightly thicker on the Compass tires, but the ride quality is the same. The one Compass tire that is markedly better than the GB counterpart is the 650bx40 Babyshoe. Compass also offers more size variety.
Thanks, good to know!
Now I just need the tires and to motivate myself to get back out of the road since it's started to thaw out...
Old 01-31-2016, 12:59 PM
Randomhead

from the discussions I have seen online, Compass seem to be the best option if you don't mind the price. I have a friend with a failed EL, he now only rides the standard tires and is very happy. I don't know if they have gotten more conservative with the EL construction, it seems some of the earlier tires had failures due to the weight-saving measures going a little overboard.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:49 PM

Your question is the reason I was frustrated with this company.

Had the Chinnook Pass, liked them much. When they wore out, looked at website to decide on new tires. Was turned off by lack of info, specially for such high price tires. Emailed company for specs on TPI, they replied they didn't publish such info. Huh?

But! Those tires introduced me to the concept of riding bigger, more supple tires. Before rode Cont' GP 4000's, forever since they were 3000's.

Looked around for alternative to Compass, that lead me to Vittoria and their open tubulars.

I now ride the Open Corsas in 25c, also 28's. Love em.

Not trying to start a which tire is best thread, plenty of those. Just a comment on my frustration with Compass's website and lack of meaningful info/specs.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:22 PM
all slow no go

Clancy Very much agreed! If I hadn't received a few positive, personal recommendations for them I'd have steered clear for lack of info. Shame and/or excellently kept secret
Old 02-01-2016, 01:25 PM
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post

Had the Chinnook Pass, liked them much. When they wore out, looked at website to decide on new tires. Was turned off by lack of info, specially for such high price tires. Emailed company for specs on TPI, they replied they didn't publish such info. Huh?
They are trying to re-write the rules. In some areas, they're super transparent and explain to the Nth why they're better, why something is inferior. Some of these are not so cut and dry and you may need to dig into the blog or BQ back issues for all to come to light. In the case of TPI, TPI doesn't tell the whole story and manufacturers can "cheat" here. For this reason, I can see Compass not publishing TPI. In the case of the Compass vs GB tread, they did document that.

Like you, I don't think they're the only avenue for killer tires. Challenge makes some hot tires for sure. I'd consider Schwalbe, Conti, Vittoria and lots of other brands, but when you step up to fat tires, few are making fast fat tires. Soma's doing some good stuff (first with C-Line and now with the Supple Vitesse). Panaracer is selling some nice stuff under their name now, too. As you may know, they're been making the Compass, GB and Soma tires.

I do love the Compass and GB products I've used except for their Rando bars.

Last edited by 559Rando; 02-01-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:32 PM

I have no experience with compass' own line of tires, but if Jan says they are similar to the grand bois you can't go wrong. I've rode through 3 sets of hetres in the past few years and absolutely love them. I'll gladly pay full price for the 650x42's. They are the quickest, best handling tire that my kogswell has ever seen!
Old 02-01-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post

But! Those tires introduced me to the concept of riding bigger, more supple tires. Before rode Cont' GP 4000's, forever since they were 3000's.

Looked around for alternative to Compass, that lead me to Vittoria and their open tubulars.

I now ride the Open Corsas in 25c, also 28's. Love em.

Not trying to start a which tire is best thread, plenty of those. Just a comment on my frustration with Compass's website and lack of meaningful info/specs.
You might want to read what Jan has said about TPI and tire performance. Besides the width and the weight, maximum pressure and sidewall color, what did you want to know about the tires?
Old 02-01-2016, 04:40 PM

Agreed, TPI is only part of the story, but it's still part of the story. As is rubber compound, specific lay up for flat protection if any, specific intended use, etc.

Plus I'd like to know the the difference in tires. By reading the description of the Grand Bois and the Cayuse, I can't tell the difference.

If Compass used some of the information in that post in the description of the tires it would help the customer to make better informed decisions.

Don't get me wrong, the riding experience on the Chinnook Pass tires was an eye opener. But I do believe the information on each of the difference tires leaves much to be desired.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:25 PM

I rode a pair of Compass tires across MO on the Katy Trail which has these tiny thorns. No flats. Some riders had as many as three.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpoole8537 View Post
I rode a pair of Compass tires across MO on the Katy Trail which has these tiny thorns. No flats. Some riders had as many as three.
The fact remains, your trip would have been far more enjoyable if you'd known the tire's TPI, just sayin'.