Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-25-2015, 11:41 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

So much for doing anything outside this weekend - Rain, rain, rain

Starting Saturday morning through the end of the day on Monday they're forecasting a total of 7" of rain for the St Louis area, and lots of flooding. The ground is already soaked from what we've gotten over the last few weeks, and now we're going to get a lot more. The NWS is using words like "historic rainfall quantities" and stuff like that.

Hopefully the basement will stay dry... I live at the top of a hill, so I don't have to worry about major flooding, but if it's heavy enough I have gotten some water in the basement due to local flows around the house.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:06 AM
The B!

Three weeks into December, we broke the previous record for rainfall in any December.... in history. And it's done nothing but rain since. For Portland, Oregon, that's saying a lot.

SO SHUT YER WHININ
Old 12-26-2015, 12:08 AM
The B!

7" in 48 hours is a hell of a lot of rain, though..
Old 12-26-2015, 12:09 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Yeah, but that's the PNW - it's supposed to rain up there at this time of year. (Except that usually it's 0.01" / hour)
Old 12-26-2015, 12:25 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
* FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH MONDAY AFTERNOON

* PERIODS OF RAIN WITH EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS WILL PRODUCE 5 TO
8 INCHES OF RAINFALL FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH MONDAY
AFTERNOON. LOCALLY HEAVIER AMOUNTS ARE POSSIBLE.
The "locally heavier amounts are possible" is a problem when thunderstorms are around. Last April we got over 1.5" in about 20 minutes from one thunderstorm (and hail, that resulted in lots of business for the roofing companies). That's bad news...

At least I don't live down by the creek...
Old 12-26-2015, 06:34 AM

Just go on a rain ride, it's fun
Old 12-26-2015, 07:31 AM
ZhugeLiang

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=179378
Old 12-26-2015, 10:35 AM

May, 2010 saw up to 18" of rain in a few isolated areas, 8"-10" across virtually entire Cumberland River watershed. Old Hickory Dam upstream of downtown Nashville came within a foot of overtopping. Had it done so, Lower Broad would have had 15 ft of water in the street instead of 6.

Bad spot for rock quarrry...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKKruF5OQ5A

Fenders? MUT with no traffic? Then ride.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:10 AM
Randomhead

my mom's house is the pink/red house at the beginning of this video. FEMA eventually purchased it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY75oRG5GQo She was away during the Nashville flood, water marks show it got up to the roof line at about 13'. Her dogs managed to escape somehow. Don't think I would have gone riding that day. If I wasn't so busy helping her clean up after, it would have been great to go riding in the aftermath.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:28 AM

Got a couple of hours in this morning. It was misting a bit when we started and was steady rain by the time we finished. With the apparel that I have, it was doable with comfort. It was better than riding the trainer indoors.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
my mom's house is the pink/red house at the beginning of this video. FEMA eventually purchased it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY75oRG5GQo She was away during the Nashville flood, water marks show it got up to the roof line at about 13'. Her dogs managed to escape somehow. Don't think I would have gone riding that day. If I wasn't so busy helping her clean up after, it would have been great to go riding in the aftermath.
Not an Antioch boy, are you? The video of the portable schoolhouse getting sucked under I-24 at Mill Creek is pretty impressive, and just a few hundred yards upstream of your Mom's old place. Glad she wasn't home at the time. I was standing in 3 ft of water two doors down from my place, sandbagging neighbor's garage doors when the water pressure snapped them. Fortunately we stayed dry.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:53 PM
Randomhead

I actually only visited mom in Antioch once, to clean out her house.

It dried out here, I'm going for a ride. I want to do 100km tomorrow, not sure if that's still on though.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:34 PM

I live in the same metropolitan area as Louis. We had 2 1/2" Wednesday morning in just a few hours. Intellicast is calling for a total of 5-8" by Monday afternoon.
I've been in the basement shelling pecans, taking great solice in the new backflow valve and sump pump that were installed last month. I should be repacking some Campy hubs. Maybe tomorrow.
I've never met Louis, buldogge, or ice pick trotsky. Perhaps we should break bread at Evangeline's Bistro or Blueberry Hill.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:10 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Well, so far the NWS has been correct. We've had nearly continuous rain since this morning, ranging from light drizzle to heavy when one of the t-storm blobs goes over. Nothing torrential, but given how much we've had to this point it only takes a little to create significant runoff. I'm sure the creeks and stream in the area are full and overflowing. I have to drive right next to one of them to get from my subdivision to the rest of the world, and I'm pretty sure that the N route is flooded and had been closed off by the police.

Thankfully I don't have anywhere I need to be, so I'm staying home and listening to the rain outside. If I get motivated I might dust of the Concept II erg and punish myself a bit. I also want to install the heated gloves wiring harness on the Kawasaki so my hands can get a bit of help staying warm. Might do that tomorrow.

By the way, Plum Hill, if you didn't already know, Blueberry Hill is almost right across the street from Buldogge's tattoo studio.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:18 PM
jam

So much for doing anything outside this weekend - Rain, rain, rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
The "locally heavier amounts are possible" is a problem when thunderstorms are around. Last April we got over 1.5" in about 20 minutes from one thunderstorm (and hail, that resulted in lots of business for the roofing companies). That's bad news...

At least I don't live down by the creek...

Louis, it held off in KC until after 2:00 and I got in 30 miles. You STL'ers just live in a bad climate zone😉.

Spent Christmas Eve in West County visiting my 100 year old mother-in-law.