Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2015, 05:13 AM

Teach me about mountain bike geartrains

Been out of the mountain bike game for forever, but just got back into it courtesy of another forumite: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=176361

I have no idea what I should be looking for as far as geartrain to build this thing up.

Back in the day it was fairly simple... LX if you wanted bang-for-your-buck, XT if you wanted to add a little bling, and XTR if you were massively rich.

Now it looks like there's these newfangled 1x setups? What are the pros/cons vs the traditional 3x9 (or is it it 3x10 now?)

Is there a consensus on SRAM vs Shimano?

For this particular build, my priorities are reliable, reasonably light, and cost-effective. I won't be riding the bike enough to justify paying for the top-of-the-line, plus I have no interest in bling. I really enjoy climbing so having low gears + light weight is nice. Most riding will be singletrack with plenty of log rides, rock gardens etc--I remember back in the day bending multiple chain rings doing this type of riding.

Any suggestions for what to look for in a groupset?

Is it worth paying the premium for the new 1x setups or should I just pickup a used 3x8 or 3x9 setup and replace the outer chainring with a chainguard?
Old 12-19-2015, 05:58 AM
ZhugeLiang

jeff pal, nice score, secretly wished I had seen that classified myself.

Anyway, I am in the same boat as you, out of the market for a long while, not as familiar as to the offerings these days.

I was looking at some builds sold on our classifieds section as reference and to get some ideas...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=179108

rame: Size medium black/ green w/ FOX Factory Kashima CTD shock
Fork: RockShox SID RCT3 - all black
Drivetrain: Full Shimano XTR M9000 2x11 spd with 36/26-11/40 (This can covert very quickly to 1x up front).
Brakes: Shimano M9000 with Freeza RT-99 rotors
Wheelset: Handbuilt XTR M9000 hubs laced with DT SuperComp spokes to Stan's Crest. Very sturdy and built to 1,450g
Tires: Maxxis Ardent Race front and Ikon rear
Cockpit: Thomson post, PRO XC stem, ENVE bars, ESI grips, PRO saddle
Other: Cane Creek 110 headset and Wheels angular contact conversion BB

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=138450

Frame
Full high modulus carbon frame, Dyad XC Ultra lay-up, 100mm travel mp3 linkage design, SST tube diameters, tapered head tube, asymmetrical chainstays, Fox Float RP23 BV shock with 10mm hardware

Fork
RockShox SID World Cup, ais spring with Poploc remote lockout, external rebound damping, Motion Control, 32mm stanchions, tapered alloy steerer, 100mm travel

Wheels
American Classic Tubeless Disc with AC130 front and AC225 rear hubs, AC butted spokes and alloy nipples

Tires
Geax Mezcal 26x2.1 front and 1.9 TNT, folding

Front Derailleur
Shimano XTR M986

Rear Derailleur
Shimano XTR M980 10 speed

Shifters
Shimano XTR M980 Rapidfire Plus SL 10 speed

Crankset
Shimano XTR M985 Hollowtech II crankset, 28/40T

Brakes
Shimano XTR hydraulic disc brakes with XT 160mm 6 bolt rotors

Handlebar
Ritchey WCS Carbon Rizer bar

Stem
Ritchey WCS 4 Axis stem

Seatpost
Ritchey WCS 1B carbon

Saddle
WTB Silverado Team

Grips
Ritchey WCS Ergo locking foam grips

Cassette
Shimano XTR M980 11-36

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=174821

This one you have to go read up on the orig. posting, very interesting...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=102689

oots YBB frame, titanium, 2cm travel, 18" size.
Magura Durin Marathon 120 fork, with adjustable travel from 80mm, 100mm, 120mm. The frame was built for a 100mm fork, but I've been running it at full boing with no issues. If you care to ride it closer to stock, you can lock the fork out at 100mm of travel.
Mix of generations of Shimano XTR shifty bits -- earlier cranks and shifters, more recent derailleurs. Everything works well together.
Mavic Crossmax SL UST wheelset with fresh Schwalbe UST tires -- Nobby Nic front, Rocket Ron rear. Only a few rides on the tires.
Formula K24 Oro discs with Twenty6 two finger lever. GREAT brakes.
FSA bars and stem, American Classic seatpost, Chris King headset (I will be swapping the pictured pink headset for silver.)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=122253

Frame/Fork -
Jones Steel Space Frame -23" TT (all Jones frames are 1 size - see JJ's site for specifics - Jeff Jones Bicycles)
Jones Truss Fork w/Cane Creek 110 JJ headset - 135mm spacing

Wheels -
Front wheel #1 - Jones-built Fat - 50mm rim, Jones 135mm fhub, DT spokes/nips, Surly Nate 3.8 tire, Avid 203 rotor, XT QR
Front wheel # 2 - Jones-built - Velocity P35 rim, Jones 135 fhub, DT spokes/nips, Racing Ralph tire, Avid 203 rotor, XT QR
Rear wheel - Chris King 135 ISO Disc geared hub, Velocity P35 rim, DT spokes/nips, Racing Ralph tire, Avid 185 rotor, XT QR

Brakeset -
Jones custom Avid BB7 ( XTR levers, custom-routed rigid stainless brake tubing , gore cables, nokon aluminum gear housing, 203/185 rotors)
Using the stainless brake housing that is compressionless, these brakes work better than any hydros that I have used.

Drivetrain -
XTR 970 series crankset (170mm, 44-32-22), BB, FD, RD, shifters, cassette (11-34), chain

Other -
Custom JJ truss fork headlight mount
Thomson 27.2 layback post
Thomson X4 110 OS stem
On-One Mary bars
ODI Ruffian clamp on grips
The front fender - has mounting braze-ons on DT - nice bonus
Old 12-19-2015, 06:22 AM

Location is everything, stop by th good mtb shop and get the low down for your area. Wheel size and drivetrain make a difference

For record, I have several. Current love is a 650 plus hardtail with a 1x. Loads of fun
Old 12-19-2015, 06:24 AM

I am currently running xtr 9 speed on my main mountain bike and 2x10 SRAM on my full suspension. My 9 speed stuff will be turning 10 this year and I feel like it's time to start replacing it. I will probably go with a mix of XT and xtr 10 speed. One thing is a must as far as I am concerned, a clutch rear derailleur. I have one in my fat bike and it is so nice not having any chain slap. I do feel with 2x that I am never quite happy with the gear I am in. But I never use the granny gear on my current 3x9 drivetrain.
Also SRAM vs Shimano, I have no complaints with the SRAM stuff, I just like the shimano better.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:31 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
I am currently running xtr 9 speed on my main mountain bike and 2x10 SRAM on my full suspension. My 9 speed stuff will be turning 10 this year and I feel like it's time to start replacing it. I will probably go with a mix of XT and xtr 10 speed. One thing is a must as far as I am concerned, a clutch rear derailleur. I have one in my fat bike and it is so nice not having any chain slap. I do feel with 2x that I am never quite happy with the gear I am in. But I never use the granny gear on my current 3x9 drivetrain.
Also SRAM vs Shimano, I have no complaints with the SRAM stuff, I just like the shimano better.
As you're planning your upgrade, remember that S9 mtn and S10 mtn aren't compatible. You gotta go whole-hog once you start.

BTDT

M
Old 12-19-2015, 07:38 AM

Yeah I know that's one of the reasons I have been delaying doing it. My setup is dual control shifters with a rapid rise rear. I wish they still made that setup. I picked up a set of XT brakes in the classifieds already.
The nice thing with sticking with 10 speed is now all my mountain wheels will work on all my cross bikes and dirt road bike.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:46 AM

I still ride 3x8 on my mtn bike. It is easy and inexpensive, plus very reliable. The gearing options aren't as wide of course, but I am fine with what's available. As always, ymmv.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
I still ride 3x8 on my mtn bike. It is easy and inexpensive, plus very reliable. The gearing options aren't as wide of course, but I am fine with what's available. As always, ymmv.
That's how I've been running. Then, I'm in Florida and don't need a super wide range. Our hills are dictated by the poise angle of sand.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:53 AM

I didn't read all the replies but I think the most important things now in mtn biking are tubless tires. They have made the biggest difference to me across any gearing and I run almost all 1X now and across all wheel sizes. I ride mostly hard tail 650b, but I do have a 26 that I ride occasionally but I'm in the process of setting it up for my daughter.

Go tubless and experiment with pressures

I think 1X is the way to go for most people and with 10spd you can duplicate at least the low end of most 2X set ups and not lose too much on the top. Wolf tooth and I'm sure others have the stuff to make it work.

If you are looking to stay on the cheap keep whatever gearing you've got if it works for you and just get a decent tubless wheelset

Last edited by malcolm; 12-19-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:03 AM

Me - coming out of a singlespeed format (10years), I returned to a simple 1x9 setup..
On my 29-er I have it geared with a Raceface 34t NW single up front with an Ultegra road 11-25 cassette with an XT short cage rear derailleur and XT 9 speed shifter.

The new set-up out there are ones with the ''clutch'' style rear derailleur and 12-42 rear cassette.. 1x10 and 1x11 formats.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:39 AM

I bought an SLX 2x10 and converted to a 1x10z group. Simple , cost effective, reliable. I think that is best bang for your buck.

I have recentl rebuilt my hardtail with SRAM 1x10 and have been impressed. I don't like SRAM road stuff, but their MTB stuff feels very nice.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:57 AM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwidman View Post
been out of the mountain bike game for forever, but just got back into it courtesy of another forumite: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=176361

i have no idea what i should be looking for as far as geartrain to build this thing up. i would consider starting with a 2x10 or a 1x11 set up. No need for a 3x set up. If you go 2x10, consider a 11-36t cassette and a 38x26 crankset, and you'll be set on that hardtail. If you go 1x11, consider a 11-42 shimano xt cassette and a 32t chainring up front. You might find it hard to get an off the shelf 26" wheel with a rear hub capable of fitting the sram 1x11 cassette, unless you have one built. Sram's 11 speed cassette uses a different free hub, called an XD driver. It's relatively new, but very common on 27.5 and 29" wheel sets. Likely hard to find on 26" wheel sets.

now it looks like there's these newfangled 1x setups? What are the pros/cons vs the traditional 3x9 (or is it it 3x10 now?) advantage is you do away with the front derailleur. No derailleur noise. It's simpler. Disadvantage is you only get about 95% of the range you would have with a 2x10 set up. You can get all the bottom end, but you'll miss out on top end. Or you get all the top end, but you'll miss out on the bottom end. Overall, i think it's worth it to go 1x11 (or even 1x10).

is there a consensus on sram vs shimano? either is really, really good these days. You can find shimano cheaper if you buy from the u.k. Sram controls its market tighter.

for this particular build, my priorities are reliable, reasonably light, and cost-effective. I won't be riding the bike enough to justify paying for the top-of-the-line, plus i have no interest in bling. I really enjoy climbing so having low gears + light weight is nice. Most riding will be singletrack with plenty of log rides, rock gardens etc--i remember back in the day bending multiple chain rings doing this type of riding.

Any suggestions for what to look for in a groupset? If you go shimano, xt is pretty cheap relative to how durable and light it is. I would recommend shimano xt.

is it worth paying the premium for the new 1x setups or should i just pickup a used 3x8 or 3x9 setup and replace the outer chainring with a chain guard? yes, it's worth it.

Last edited by ofcounsel; 12-19-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:14 AM
Soy Un Perdedor

Also, if you decide to go 1x10, this cassette works beautifully with Shimano and SRAM, and will give you all the range you need with a 32T front chainring.

http://www.praxiscycles.com/product/cassette/
Old 12-19-2015, 10:17 AM
Soy Un Perdedor

NOTES: Sram X9 and X0 2x10 and 3x10 speed cranksets are easy to covert to 1x10/1x11 direct mount chainring set ups. Shimano SLX and XT 2x10 speed cranksets can accept up to 30T single speed chainrings easy and cheaply.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:22 AM
Soy Un Perdedor

Here's my hardtail with a 1x11 set up.