Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2015, 06:59 PM

O/T... Winter thermal jackets...

Ok guys, my 30 y/o mid 80's cycling jacket is in its last runs, amazingly the zipper after 30 years is still working fine, but all the cotton in the fabric is gone

So, whats moving around that you guys could recommend that is thermal... water resistant and for a reasonable price??? I saw a castelli something on sale but no way 200 bucks is like reasonable to me...

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:44 PM

Check out: https://www.coloradocyclist.com/men-s-cycling-jackets
You can sort by price.
But, ~$200 is what a good jacket will cost.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:55 PM

The Gore Xenon jacket I'm selling in the Classifieds. Seriously great jacket down to freezingly at least and below (depending on how hot your body runs). Pick one up elsewhere if mine isn't the right size.

Agree with Tony T that $200 minimum is what these things cost. If you're patient, you can get a great price well under $200 in the spring when retailers start blowing out their winter inventory. But that doesn't help you right now.

Last edited by Uncle Jam's Army; 10-18-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:00 PM

I got a new Louis Garneau one a couple years ago that I really love.. weird combinations of fabric that seemingly make it breath really well and yet still be strangely warm. I'm sure there are tons of others that are great but I really love mine!
Old 10-18-2015, 08:15 PM

Don't laugh

But I like to ride in a wetsuit when it's really cold. You know once you get sweaty, it warms you right up, and you can ride down to freezing!

( ok, ok, just joking, I love my castelli due. About $180 and it has chest vent zips that let you cool down with out unzipping the whole front. It rides well down to about 35 degrees with a single layer underneath.)

Old 10-18-2015, 08:23 PM

Find a Castelli Zoncolan jacket on close out somewhere. Probably around 140. That with only a long sleeve base layer and you will be comfortable in 20-30 degrees. But UJA's jacket is brand new and cheaper.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:56 PM

THanks for the tips... the thing is this, found some stuff at lower prices but they look more like a wind stopper but no clue how they will perform in really cold weather...

Checked uncle's jacket and looks awesome but im at the limit between his and the next size... probably the XL will be too tight for my watermelon But no i know what to look for..

Thanks
Old 10-19-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
THanks for the tips... the thing is this, found some stuff at lower prices but they look more like a wind stopper but no clue how they will perform in really cold weather...
Castelli's web site will give a temp range for use. Other manufactures may do the same.
When you find a jacket you want, check for it on Amazon also.

Colorado Cyclists always has great prices when the inventory of an item runs low, but usually all that's left is size small.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:05 AM
Classics Fan

Why is this marked as Off Topic? Seems spot on to me

I came here expecting to discuss jackets like this:

Old 10-19-2015, 08:26 AM

I highly recommend these two, as they don't feel bulky:

Capo Padrone Thermal jacket - feels like a jersey but the excellent windblock is like a jacket. Form fitting. I wear this when the weather is in the 40s.

Castelli Espresso Due - thinner than most jackets but again excellent windblock, high collar and lots of good venting (even wrists with zips).

I wear only a Craft baselayer - short sleeve (40 -50 deg) or long sleeve (below 40 deg) underneath. No need for two layers with a jersey.

They come in Black, Red and White colors. I liked them so much, I have two of each.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:37 AM

I got an old model year high zoot Nalini winter jacket on eBay for around $100 when the original retail was around $400. Clearance and second hand stuff is the way to go to keep the cost down. But it's better to buy out of season to get the best deals.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:10 AM

O/T... Winter thermal jackets...

Ultra, I had a bunch of new winter jackets for sale a while ago. I believe I still have most of them. I went overboard a winter ago and purchased a lot of winter gear. The truth is that I found that the Fugujack and the 851AirJack along with an older Castelli Radiation cover pretty much the range I need.

Search for Zoncolan and you'll find the ad. If something may be of interest, shoot me a message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2015, 11:08 PM

Hey man... thanks a lot.. will check the posting

For example I found one at ebay, new for the right price, now the question is the size some say nalini runs small... that means go bigger in the X's and based in the size chart maybe they are right, but the dude posted the armpit to armpit and looks like I fit in that one :/...

Searching now...

Thanks
Old 10-19-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
I highly recommend these two, as they don't feel bulky:

Capo Padrone Thermal jacket - feels like a jersey but the excellent windblock is like a jacket. Form fitting. I wear this when the weather is in the 40s.

Castelli Espresso Due - thinner than most jackets but again excellent windblock, high collar and lots of good venting (even wrists with zips).
I also have these two models, and like them quite a lot. I need more than a base layer underneath, though.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:54 PM
Everything is connected

UM...What is your definition of Winter conditions and I ask because for me, cold and dry calls for a different type of jacket as compared to cold and wet? Also, what is the Winter temperature range in your region?