Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Administrator

OT: Will Grier (UF QB) suspended for PEDs

Just when UF's football team looks like they are finally getting their act back together, the QB (Will Grier) tests positive for PEDs
Old 10-12-2015, 03:50 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
Just when UF's football team looks like they are finally getting their act back together, the QB (Will Grier) tests positive for PEDs
Geez, I'm shocked!!! A college football player doping??? YGBSM
Old 10-12-2015, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Old P -- Yeah I know...just disappointed.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Geez, I'm shocked!!! A college football player doping??? YGBSM
Any time the Gators land in the top 10 things always seem to go awry.

Grier says he was taking an over-the-counter supplement and it was tainted. We've all heard that one before. As a Gator fan it's disappointing because the team has been on a roll and Grier seems like a good kid but rules are rules. Trying to look at the bright side, I believe if the Gators lose at LSU this weekend and maybe drop another game (FSU, UGA) Grier will take some of the blame and it will help to manage expectations for McElwain. We can't afford to run McElwain out of town after 3 seasons like Muschamp. UF is still paying Muschamp's salary while he's picking up check coaching Auburn's defense.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:35 PM

Were can I get these 'supplements'?
Old 10-12-2015, 10:35 PM

This kid doesn't get paid and everything he does is marketed by Florida, even his likeness. Sad

The uci/wada/usada should take note...no 8 week suspension in the offseason or accusations of dogs or undead twins to blame. He could always blame it on CTE
Old 10-12-2015, 10:38 PM

Too bad his cheating came to light the day AFTER they played Missouri
Old 10-12-2015, 11:02 PM

Maybe it's different now but from what I heard from the Purdue lineman back when I was going to college you'd have to be mentally deficient to fail a PED test. These guys weren't Mensa candidates but somehow they found a way through it while taking craploads of steroids.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:46 AM

I would not throw the young man under the bus. After reading the announcement from Florida, I think it is plausible the man took an over the counter supplement which contained a banned substance. The banned substance will eventually be name plus the over the counter supplement. There a case a few years ago where a manufacturer was putting steroids into their protein powder. I think it was called Max Muscle or something.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 10-13-2015 at 04:27 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
I would not throw the young man under the bus. After reading the announcement from Florida, I think it is plausible the man took an over the counter supplement which contained a banned substance. The banned substance will eventually be name plus the over the counter supplement. There a case a few years ago where a manufacturer was putting steroids into their protein powder. I think it was called Max Muscle or something.

The urban legend that supplement manufacturers spike some of their products. Then these unwitting customers go around talking about how great the products are. In the meantime the manufacturer goes back to the normal formula for 99% of the stuff.

Problem is, there has never been a confirmed test to prove it. Has there?

It shouldn't be that hard. We are talking a protein meal replacement right? So you don't have any more of that remaining at home in the kitchen? Can't come up with a batch number to go find some more? Not talking about the one off steak or who jacked up your RX.

In this case they must have, 'cause he 'knows'.

Test it. How about when your PED test comes back & you scream supplement, name it: company, product, where you purchased it.

Maybe they will. My bet is on what we've all see many many times.

This: plausible deniability, smoke, furore dies down, media moves on, time served, reboot next year. Future contract, signing bonus & endorsement deals dinged a bit...possibly.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrooms View Post
The urban legend that supplement manufacturers spike some of their products. Then these unwitting customers go around talking about how great the products are. In the meantime the manufacturer goes back to the normal formula for 99% of the stuff.

Problem is, there has never been a confirmed test to prove it. Has there?

It shouldn't be that hard. We are talking a protein meal replacement right? So you don't have any more of that remaining at home in the kitchen? Can't come up with a batch number to go find some more? Not talking about the one off steak or who jacked up your RX.

In this case they must have, 'cause he 'knows'.

Test it. How about when your PED test comes back & you scream supplement, name it: company, product, where you purchased it.

Maybe they will. My bet is on what we've all see many many times.

This: plausible deniability, smoke, furore dies down, media moves on, time served, reboot next year. Future contract, signing bonus & endorsement deals dinged a bit...possibly.
The real tragedy is I'll bet somebody on the staff is supplying this crap. Probably to most of these players that make zillion$ for their school and get diddly for it. They will do anything to get to the 'big show'. Why not call it what it is, minor leagues for football, pay them, have them 'major' in football, they can take 'real' classes, have an education when they finish their 5-6 years at that 4 year school.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:18 AM

For me its the cultural hypocrisy around big pharma. Engage in the work place water cooler chatter. Lets say big Friday HS games come up. "Hey your kid plays...well he must be on drugs right?" Oh that line is going to go over real well. You might find yoursef in HR & I'm not kidding.

But I've lost count how many times when cycling comes up & someone says: "well James here rides A LOT!" Count to ten in my head & before I am done, some form of drug reference will be mentioned.
I avoid most any ref to cycling in a social setting unless I can eyeball that there is another cyclist in that setting. Because if its not drugs, its all the fatties taking shots or we move to everyone's need to enforce traffic laws at that moment Yep I'm a debbie downer this AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
The real tragedy is I'll bet somebody on the staff is supplying this crap. Probably to most of these players that make zillion$ for their school and get diddly for it. They will do anything to get to the 'big show'. Why not call it what it is, minor leagues for football, pay them, have them 'major' in football, they can take 'real' classes, have an education when they finish their 5-6 years at that 4 year school.
I doubt it's anyone in an official capacity with the team that is supplying any PED to these kids but they all certainly know where to find them. The problem with Grier is he put on 40 lbs of muscle in the off season. That was certain to set of alarms all over the place. The locker room at UF has a history of discipline issues dating back to before Urban Meyer's 2nd national championship. I'm of the opinion that the new coach is laying down the law and trying to get control of things and Grier may have gotten caught in the crossfire.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:13 AM
Everything is connected

It's amazing that he was caught as the NCAA requires each Divison 1 school that sponsors football to only submit 18 players to an annual test...that's out of a maximum of 105 on the roster.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
It's amazing that he was caught as the NCAA requires each Divison 1 school that sponsors football to only submit 18 players to an annual test...that's out of a maximum of 105 on the roster.
Cycling taught the NCAA, NFL, NBA, etc. a great lesson: Avoid putting the spotlight on your sport's doping problem. Nothing good comes of it except cleaner competition.