Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-23-2015, 04:43 PM
bocobiking's Avatar
bocobiking bocobiking is offline
Serotta Dentist
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 137
Attention Serotta Legend Owners

I have recently gotten interested in dating my Legend frame that I bought used. One way might be to use the serial number. Mine is CTI 63 5037: CTI (C for "custom," TI for "Legend") 63 (for the frame size) 5037 (the production number, the 5,037th Legend frame produced).

Oliver1850 suggested I try to find Legend owners who know when their frame was built and can match it to their serial number. With enough such owners, I could approximate when mine was produced.

Perhaps in the end we could build a chart matching dates with serial numbers, and fill in a little history of the Serotta Legend. We know that the Legend began production in 1993; Oliver said that his frame was made in 1994 and its number is in the mid-800s.

At any rate, if you have a Legend whose production date you know, I'd very much appreciate your posting that date and your serial number.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-23-2015, 05:31 PM
CNY rider CNY rider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hartwick NY
Posts: 4,580
I can get you pretty close.
Mine was built in summer 2004.
C-Ti-54-05126
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-23-2015, 06:21 PM
PaulE's Avatar
PaulE PaulE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: At Home
Posts: 1,473
Mine is

CTI 60-04575 and was delivered end of February 2003. A year or so after, they started milling out the front of the headtube between the headset cups and also did some milling on the bottom of the bottom bracket shell, that will also help you date it too. If you don't have that milling, that may narrow it down to 2003.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-23-2015, 08:52 PM
BumbleBeeDave's Avatar
BumbleBeeDave BumbleBeeDave is offline
Post Mod-ern
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The end of the road . . .
Posts: 19,449
This might help . . .

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=99078

BBD
__________________
--- __0 __0 __0
----_-\<,_ -\<,
_(_)(_)/_(_)/ (_)
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-23-2015, 09:36 PM
happycampyer happycampyer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,246
The serial number of my Legend is not in the typical pattern. It's "LS B 0214." It was custom, but does not have a "C" before the model initials. "LS" is not on the list that AngryScientist compiled in the thread that BBD linked to, but it's a full ti Legend. Not sure what "B" refers to, either. If "0214" refers to the production number, I wonder if Serotta reset the counter after 9,999?

I understand that my frame was the third-to-last Legend made, in the summer of 2013. Scott Hock mentioned to me that at one point in the last couple of years Serotta stopped machining the bottom brackets on Legends and Ottrotts, although the headtubes were still asymmetrically machined.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-24-2015, 01:22 AM
oliver1850's Avatar
oliver1850 oliver1850 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: northern IL
Posts: 8,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
I can get you pretty close.
Mine was built in summer 2004.
C-Ti-54-05126
Wow. That was quick. I never expected to come up with one so close that fast.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-24-2015, 01:26 AM
oliver1850's Avatar
oliver1850 oliver1850 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: northern IL
Posts: 8,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
The serial number of my Legend is not in the typical pattern. It's "LS B 0214." It was custom, but does not have a "C" before the model initials. "LS" is not on the list that AngryScientist compiled in the thread that BBD linked to, but it's a full ti Legend. Not sure what "B" refers to, either. If "0214" refers to the production number, I wonder if Serotta reset the counter after 9,999?

I understand that my frame was the third-to-last Legend made, in the summer of 2013. Scott Hock mentioned to me that at one point in the last couple of years Serotta stopped machining the bottom brackets on Legends and Ottrotts, although the headtubes were still asymmetrically machined.
Serotta changed the serial number scheme in 2010 I think. There's some discussion of it in the serial numbers thread. Yours doesn't seem to fit in with what I remember, but they may well have changed it again 2 or 3 years later.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-24-2015, 05:04 AM
CNY rider CNY rider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hartwick NY
Posts: 4,580
Yep between mine and PaulE we have it bracketed pretty closely.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-24-2015, 10:11 AM
bocobiking's Avatar
bocobiking bocobiking is offline
Serotta Dentist
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
CTI 60-04575 and was delivered end of February 2003. A year or so after, they started milling out the front of the headtube between the headset cups and also did some milling on the bottom of the bottom bracket shell, that will also help you date it too. If you don't have that milling, that may narrow it down to 2003.
Thanks everyone. It seems like my frame was made late 2003-early 2004, which is close enough for me. I'm also surprised at how fast this forum helped me narrow it down.

One question: I'm pretty ignorant about frame building, so I'm not sure what the milling is that you mention or how to look for it. Any enlightenment?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-24-2015, 10:20 AM
jmoore's Avatar
jmoore jmoore is offline
bourbon!
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,575
You know that if you mention owning a bike on this forum, you have to post pics of it. Esp 63cm Legends
__________________
Cuero - Fine leather cycling gloves - GET SOME
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-24-2015, 10:33 AM
Highpowernut's Avatar
Highpowernut Highpowernut is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 646
Attention Serotta Legend Owners

I believe mine to be a 2003,
SN TI 53 4165. I'm the third owner all in the Paceline family though. But from this thread it might be a late 2002 as paule, says his is feb 2003.
Makes no difference, it's timeless to me,
Bike)

Last edited by Highpowernut; 06-24-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-24-2015, 10:52 AM
bocobiking's Avatar
bocobiking bocobiking is offline
Serotta Dentist
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
You know that if you mention owning a bike on this forum, you have to post pics of it. Esp 63cm Legends
Ok, here it is. I posted the pic on another thread and got roundly criticized for the seat angle. I've since modified the angle, and it does feel better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.5 KB, 330 views)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-24-2015, 11:36 AM
AngryScientist's Avatar
AngryScientist AngryScientist is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: northeast NJ
Posts: 25,844
Fads and trends come and go; but finding a bike finer than a Serotta Legend is not an easy task. A bike that is good at everything. Very nice- enjoy it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-24-2015, 11:37 AM
oliver1850's Avatar
oliver1850 oliver1850 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: northern IL
Posts: 8,292
I can't tell if yours has the milled head tube or not, but it would have a smaller outside diameter in the middle if milled. In other words, thicker wall section at the ends of the tubes. If you look at the 2007 catalog, you can see it easily in pictures of the Concours and Nove. It can also just be seen on the inset pic of the Ottrott, but I can't see it on the Legend.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-24-2015, 11:38 AM
54ny77 54ny77 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,620
Sweet bike!

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go sit on an ice pack. My jewels ached and the perineum screamed just looking at that saddle angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocobiking View Post
Ok, here it is. I posted the pic on another thread and got roundly criticized for the seat angle. I've since modified the angle, and it does feel better.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.