Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

Moots Psychlo YBB -- impressions?

I know Ken Robb has a Moots Psychlo YBB clad in Hampsten guise and dbrk had a YBB (although maybe it was the Psychlo, since he said he had 42c tires on it). I am just wondering if the one on eBay is too good a deal to pass up. Anyone else have a Moots Psychlo YBB they love or hate? Thanks!
Old 04-19-2006, 09:33 PM

eh _ they always make me think the
welder ran out of wire.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:02 PM

do you need the bumper?

why not save some bucks and get the Moots your really want? Our friend and esteemed colleague DBRK knows this one well and I'm sure would say nothing but the very best things about the ride and workmanship/
Old 04-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief
why not save some bucks and get the Moots your really want? Our friend and esteemed colleague DBRK knows this one well and I'm sure would say nothing but the very best things about the ride and workmanship/
I have a Strong, that is basically a custom Moots Vamoots Sl and I love it. Our roads stink around here, so the bounce seems like a good idea when my ~45 year old back is feelin' rickety from way too much carrying our two little ones around.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:20 AM
Helianthus annuus

I will again endorse the YBB for a road bike. It seems to move (and enough) only when you really need it. I've never been able to make it bounce or bobb or do anything I didn't like. I REALLY wish I hadn't been experimenting with sloper designs when I did this because the aesthetic did not wear well on me. I hope someday to go back to YBB. I think it's the most rear suspension you can get on a road bike (b/c it moves more than ST or HC) and still feel like the back is "stiff" and proper for climbing etc.

dbrk
Old 04-20-2006, 06:38 AM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrk
I will again endorse the YBB for a road bike. It seems to move (and enough) only when you really need it. I've never been able to make it bounce or bobb or do anything I didn't like. I REALLY wish I hadn't been experimenting with sloper designs when I did this because the aesthetic did not wear well on me. I hope someday to go back to YBB. I think it's the most rear suspension you can get on a road bike (b/c it moves more than ST or HC) and still feel like the back is "stiff" and proper for climbing etc.

dbrk
Thanks dbrk. So you did sell yours? If you did, I realize that isn't particluarly telling, because with a bike stable like yours, bikes come and go--especially if the tt's are not level!
Old 04-20-2006, 06:55 AM
Helianthus annuus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93legendti
Thanks dbrk. So you did sell yours? If you did, I realize that isn't particluarly telling, because with a bike stable like yours, bikes come and go--especially if the tt's are not level!

I did sell mine but, as you correctly surmised, because it just didn't suit my eyes. There's nothing about the ride of slopers that I don't like (primarily because I can't tell any difference with horizontals) but I just can't seem to keep them. I look forward to the incoming Legend...and there are a few other projects in the works including the 650B Tournesol in titanium (which is heading to paint).

Now all of that said and I find myself returning again and again to peer at Scot Nichol's new carbon road Ibis road bike. I have a very soft spot for Scot and the Ibis marque. I still own my Road Ti (never for sale!) and if the bike weren't a sloper I'd be on it like a bum on a bologna sandwich. With all due deference to bums.

db[um]rk
Old 04-20-2006, 08:59 AM

First of all, Moots is one of my all time favorite bikes. I will always own one.

I currently have a Moots YBB mountain bike in my stable. It is a fantastic bike. The best build quality I've seen on any bike. Excellent off road manners, but I can't stand to ride it on the road. The "bob" drives me nuts! However, I don't notice it all off road. If you're going to stay on the road most of the time, I would ride one before you shell out the money. If the bob doesn't bother you, or you don't notice it, go for it!
Old 04-20-2006, 03:25 PM

I think the one I have may have the lighter of two available springs since Dennis weighed under 160 lbs. When it's due for a service I'll see which is in there and maybe try the stiffer one if that's not now present. I only notice the bobbing when I'm pedaling as hard as I can in the big gears. If I were a smoother pedaler it probably wouldn't happen anyway.