Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2004, 05:38 PM

Peter Mooney Cycles

Does anyone have any first-hand experience ordering a custom steel frame from this Boston-area framebuilder? I would appreciate any feedback, especially with respect to his fitting skills (I would personally visit Peter for a fitting) and the handling characteristics of the bike. I am looking for a stable road bike which corners well, descends with confidence and is easy to ride no-handed.

With respect to craftsmanship, is Peter in the same league as Sachs, Weigle, etc.?

If you would prefer to respond offline, please e-mail me at raguilar@akerman.com

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:08 PM
needs adult supervision

a few years ago, peter built me a custom steel single speed. the bike was beautiful. peter is a craftsman. he's a bit crusty at first. a firm believer in the classic school of framebuilding. but get to know him, and he's a funny, very nice guy. his fit skills perfectly match his build philosophy. my bike handled beautifully. stable, smooth, and it climbed really nicely. i can't compare him to others, and perhaps comparisons are unfair and unproductive. but i can say with full confidence--peter is a very skilled craftsman who knows his stuff inside and out. being able to visit him and have him fit you is a huge plus. you'll get a unique bike, one you won't see at every stoplight. i think you'll be very happy. one note--peter is a tad slow. he seems to weld when the mood strikes him. bring patience. but i think you'll find the wait well worth it. (a paint suggestion: his frames look amazing in pearl white with black logos.)
Old 03-19-2004, 09:17 PM

peter

i first met peter on the starting line of a race sometime i think around 1979. i liked his bike so much i had to comment, when he told me he built it himself i couldn't stop asking him questions. he was extremely easy to talk to. he apprenticed in england with ron cooper ( one of my fav's at the time) for 2 yrs before returning to america to start his own operation. the bike he built for me (1980) was his own creation-i told him i wanted a bike for crits and i wanted to pick out the lugs the rest was his. since we raced together he'd seen me ride, we met for a fitting and discussion and then i waited. to make a long story short (i know this is getting long) i still have that bike today. it's got over 70K miles, been repainted 3 times & it's still the one i use as my benchmark. he's extremely knowledgeable, forthwright and patient. i dealt with lots of others but i don't think peter gets anywhere near the credit he's due. he likes being small and not well-known, give him a few minutes and you'll be impressed.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:32 PM
Campy or Walk

I met Peter at a party in Waltham about 15 years ago, I had just gotten new Serotta and was raving about Ben and his bikes not knowing that one of the people was a frame builder. Later we talked at length about all things bike and otherwise. Nice guy, nice bikes but climbo is way off with his color suggestion. The cooklest Peter Mooney I ever saw was a fillit brazed os steel bike painted bright orange and light green with white and black decals, way cool.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:13 PM
bags27

A couple of years ago, I almost ordered a bike from Peter. Didn't quite, because I wasn't ready to order custom. But I spent a fair amount of time with him, and liked him very, very much. And I've known a couple of people who have his bikes--they all love them. He's a good guy and a fine craftsman.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:25 PM
commuter racer

I knew two Boston racers who were really, really good and raced his frames and loved them. He also built a custom ride for my Ceramics teacher. A thing of beauty..
Old 03-20-2004, 04:39 PM
needs adult supervision

hey, bill--how'd you get from waltham to florida? this past week, i wish i would have made the trip too!