Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2014, 12:30 PM
Post Mod-ern

Seabrook driver accepts plea deal . . .

She's gonna plead guilty. Now let's see what the sentence is.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articl...NEWS/141219687

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 12-13-2014, 12:36 PM

Two man charges, wow...prosecution did their job, hope the judge is a cyclist and justice isnt blind this time...
Old 12-13-2014, 12:38 PM
The B!

High on illicit 'scrip narcotics, no license, kills two, cripples two.... yea, she better damn well get some seriously life-altering time.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:38 PM

Looks like she's going to get hit pretty good. Still makes me mad, though. I've ridden that ride several times, and it brings it close to home. Hope the families find some comfort in all this.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the update. Keep us informed at sentencing if you can.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulspinner View Post
Two man charges, wow...prosecution did their job, hope the judge is a cyclist and justice isnt blind this time...
I hope justice is blind. It could be the judge has a thing for people on bikes and gives her a 6 month deferred sentence or something.

Use the book and throw it at her.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:41 AM

If justice is blind, she will get a fair shake, if its not and the judge has sympathy for us cyclists, (not blind if he should favor us)...ah I just hope she is young enough to turn her own life around.....
Old 12-15-2014, 11:13 AM

Even if she gets serious jail time, I wouldn't strike this up as a victory for cyclists. This particular incident is very different from most bike/car collisions. In most bike/car crashes, much of the evidence is the testimony of the cyclist and drivers - and in many cases, only one of them is still alive to testify.

In this case, there are many damning facts which are not in dispute, and there really is no argument about fault. Given the facts (no driver's license, positive tests for at least 3 illegal drugs, dozens of witnesses including a police officer), it doesn't matter whether she killed cyclists, pedestrians or other motorists, she's going to get a serious punishment.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:53 PM

Seabrook driver accepts plea deal . . .

This is just a tragedy all around. I cannot imagine what I would do if I lost my wife because of a driver like that. Or if one of my kids did something that irresponsible and I lost them to jail. Just awful. I hope there is a deterrent aspect to this for other drivers.

Ugh
Old 12-15-2014, 06:06 PM
The B!

I don't think deterrence works all that well.... Especially not with kids. Unless you mean deterrence against re offense- by throwing the offender in prison so they CANT reoffend. I do believe in that, and it seems like a good measure in this instance. This was a pretty blatant disregard for rules and the lives of those around her... A slap on the wrist would likely result in her killing more people again in the near future.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:28 PM
Randomhead

I don't know if this woman was naturally a sociopath, or if the drugs she was taking made her that way. The cops really should have taken the earlier incident that day more seriously.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:01 PM

Whoever gave her a prescription for fentanyl should be jailed as well.... or at least sued mercilessly!
Old 12-16-2014, 06:14 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmile View Post
Whoever gave her a prescription for fentanyl should be jailed as well.... or at least sued mercilessly!
What makes you think it was by Rx? I had a friend die from 'perscription' drug OD, and none were from a Rx. BUT for her, could have been, but doubt it. She didn't seem smart enough to 'doctor shop'.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmile View Post
Wasn't a script. If you go back and read more about this case, the woman who picked her up when she got nabbed for driving without a license earlier in the night was a known narco dealer.

Quote:
According to prosecutors, Hess was under the influence of several drugs at the time of the crash and did not have a drivers license. Cindy Shepphard, 49, of Brentwood, N.H.,plead guilty to supplying the drug fentanyl to Hess hours before the fatal crash, and is currently serving a three-to-six-year sentence.
Source: http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...I3M/story.html

I almost rode this ride that day - so I've been following this whole horrifying ordeal. I can't imagine a way they give her less than the minimum sentence for one of the manslaughter charges. The family is quoted as saying that they'd be happy with the sentence if the deal she took is the one they were told was being offered.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I don't know if this woman was naturally a sociopath, or if the drugs she was taking made her that way. The cops really should have taken the earlier incident that day more seriously.
I think that it wasn't a matter of how seriously the police took it, it was a matter of what they were legally allowed to do about it. Prior to this incident, driving without a license was not an arrestable offense. So, the police didn't have the option of doing anything other than letting someone else drive her away. The last paragraph of the article indicates that they have changed that law, and police are now able to arrest someone driving without a license.

Chris