Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2014, 02:22 AM

Best Shoe Covers?

I recently moved from California to the PNW and am getting ready for the rain to start this Fall. What are the best shoe covers for the rain?
Old 10-12-2014, 09:54 AM

For rain I think the best shoe cover is the Showers Pass Club Shoe Covers
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2009/10/...hoe-cover.html

But if it's cold, I like the 40 Below Overflow supergaiter.
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2014/01/...w-gaiters.html

You do have to permanently attach it though. Which if it is really cold, is worth it.

-Joe
Old 10-12-2014, 01:25 PM

Showers Pass is good for commuting but for a serious training ride it's got a lot of fabric, and it tends to rub on crank arms. The 40 Below is good but overkill unless you are fat-tire riding on Rainier. There are plenty of ultra-expensive shoe covers and booties but the Endura are cheap, durable, and keep you dry and warm. There's a version on which the entire outside surface is covered in reflective material -- they are very visible on twilight training rides. Something like $39 a pair and they last forever, do everything you expect a bootie to do. They are very stretchy but don't buy them to fit with stretch -- you want enough play so they don't constrict circulation in your feet. That's usually about one size bigger than you think you need. For Portland or Seattle, these are the best around.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:38 PM
なんでやねん

I really like my Louis Garneau neoprene covers. It has to be fairly cold to use those though. The LG Lycra covers are also very good but not water resistant so not likely helpful for you.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
Showers Pass is good for commuting but for a serious training ride it's got a lot of fabric, and it tends to rub on crank arms. The 40 Below is good but overkill unless you are fat-tire riding on Rainier. There are plenty of ultra-expensive shoe covers and booties but the Endura are cheap, durable, and keep you dry and warm. There's a version on which the entire outside surface is covered in reflective material -- they are very visible on twilight training rides. Something like $39 a pair and they last forever, do everything you expect a bootie to do. They are very stretchy but don't buy them to fit with stretch -- you want enough play so they don't constrict circulation in your feet. That's usually about one size bigger than you think you need. For Portland or Seattle, these are the best around.
This is exactly the kind of input I was looking for. Thanks! Are these the ones you would recommend? http://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=207
Old 10-12-2014, 04:43 PM
needs adult supervision

the best pair of booties is a good pair of fenders.

that said, i'd think about using two different booties for two different conditions. for lighter, misty rain, you want something lighter. i've had good luck with these (though others apparently haven't):

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/ca...n=CST0475-SI-S

then for heavier, soaking rains, follow 11.4's advice.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk2ck View Post
This is exactly the kind of input I was looking for. Thanks! Are these the ones you would recommend? http://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=207
Yup. The silver ones. With fenders, as Climb says -- doesn't have to be said.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:48 PM

I have heard positive things about these:
http://www.velotoze.com

They are really new but look pretty cool. Will hopefully solve the problem I have with show covers not being tight around my ankles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk2ck View Post
I recently moved from California to the PNW and am getting ready for the rain to start this Fall. What are the best shoe covers for the rain?
Old 10-13-2014, 07:03 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
the best pair of booties is a good pair of fenders.

that said, i'd think about using two different booties for two different conditions. for lighter, misty rain, you want something lighter. i've had good luck with these (though others apparently haven't):

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/ca...n=CST0475-SI-S

then for heavier, soaking rains, follow 11.4's advice.
Bing, bing, bing....

I use Curve, 2 types, one slides on like a sock, no zipper, the other has a zipper..but fenders will keep your feet driest..front and rear, full fenders.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:22 AM

My waterproof shoe covers (Mavic brand) work fine for light rain, but if I'm caught in a downpour, my feet/socks/shoes are gonna get soaked due to water streaming down my legs and through the gap(s) at the top of the shoe cover. Is there a shoe cover that doesn't have this issue? Or is the only solution to wear waterproof pants as well? Pants won't work for warm weather though.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeladragon View Post
Is there a shoe cover that doesn't have this issue?
Not that I know of.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
Not that I know of.
In theory the Velotoze posted above should not have the issue, if working as advertized. I am waiting on a pair.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnny View Post
In theory the Velotoze posted above should not have the issue, if working as advertized. I am waiting on a pair.
call me skeptical on this one but please report back !

My experience for riding in real rain is that full neoprene covers are best. You feet get wet but they stay warm. Same for full neoprene gloves.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:33 AM

Other problem with those Velotoze things is that they look like basically thin rubber booties - i.e. won't stand up to much abuse. Walk 5 feet or push off after a few red lights and I have a feeling you've got a hole in the underside of the toe pretty quickly. From their FAQ (not confidence inspiring):

How long do they last?
veloToze are designed to be used multiple times, but if you take them on and off carefully and follow the proper care instructions, they can last longer.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:40 PM

I should have mentioned that I plan to use these as a first layer with a neoprene boot in the exterior. I figured the Velotoze look pretty low profile that an extra layer outside should be no problem. We'll see.