Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-08-2014, 02:23 PM

Crushed - missing my last racing opportunity of the season

I've spent most of the year trying to regain fitness after a disastrous 2013 and offseason, setting myself up to race the Jamestown Classic down in Rhode Island this weekend. It's the last race of the New England road season. It's on Columbus Day, which I technically have off.

I just got pulled into a meeting with potential clients, where I will probably just be meat in the room. The real pitch is coming from my boss, so I will probably utter 35 words all morning.

So there goes the season. Over before it began. I wasn't it true race shape, but I'm finally in hard riding shape, so I was excited to see how I did. I also sort of needed this - mentally - to carry me through the offseason. I've really been missing the competitive aspect of riding, so now I've got a long five/six months to wait before things start ticking back up. I think I'll go home and have a scotch.

End rant.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastforaSlowGuy View Post
I think I'll go home and have a scotch.

End rant.

Have several.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:41 PM

So do a timetrial instead. Pick a known course so you have other times to measure by. Get someone to start you and run the watch. It may not be what you were training for but it sure will give you feedback to help motivate the upcoming winters work...
Old 10-08-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
So do a timetrial instead. Pick a known course so you have other times to measure by. Get someone to start you and run the watch. It may not be what you were training for but it sure will give you feedback to help motivate the upcoming winters work...
I'm not worried about getting a wattage benchmark. I have that, and I'll probably take your approach and do it again before it gets too cold. What I was looking for is the emotional high you get from pinning on a number, the nervous energy that fuels a warm-up ride on the trainer, scrambling to stay out of the wind and on a good wheel, fighting to always move up lest you find yourself at the back, bumping shoulders going into that last corner. No TT, and no group ride, can really replace that dynamic.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:52 PM

make it a double.

not too far off from that myself, if i'll be able to race again this season is a bit of a question mark.

2 weeks ago did some pretty good rib damage, thought i would be OK to race this past weekend, DNF'd at 1.5 laps in. just could not push hard standing, pull on the bars, or really manhandle the bike. taking this week off except some non-rotational core work and really really light riding. may try to be back in a couple weeks, but really if i called it quits now i'd just be bored on Sundays.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Vendor

Do the race. Call in sick. You'll remember the race for a while. You'll regret the meeting before it even starts.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:58 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider View Post
Do the race. Call in sick. You'll remember the race for a while. You'll regret the meeting before it even starts.
i like this advice. just don't upload the thing to strava.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:01 PM

^^ better than being meat in a conference room, that's for sure.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:21 PM

That would be deeply satisfying.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:03 PM

Race 'cross and you can continue racing for the next three months.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:05 PM

Too bad, with your new shoes you would have smoked them.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:11 PM

One race doesn't count as a season anyway, do cross or something, racing bikes at an amateur level is pointless anyway
Old 10-08-2014, 04:11 PM

Of course there is no match for it. But is it more useful to fume about missing the race or putting it into your riding?

You want the completion kick, invite some fast friends to do the TT too. Make an event out of it, bring the SOs do a cook-out afterwards. Slowest one buys the beer. Read off the times in reverse order, give a prize for the best time....

Quote:
I'm not worried about getting a wattage benchmark. I have that, and I'll probably take your approach and do it again before it gets too cold. What I was looking for is the emotional high you get from pinning on a number, the nervous energy that fuels a warm-up ride on the trainer, scrambling to stay out of the wind and on a good wheel, fighting to always move up lest you find yourself at the back, bumping shoulders going into that last corner. No TT, and no group ride, can really replace that dynamic.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:39 PM

Crushed - missing my last racing opportunity of the season

Yeah maybe this is the nudge I need to try CX. The fates are telling me to get muddy.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah maybe this is the nudge I need to try CX. The fates are telling me to get muddy.
Do it!