Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2014, 05:41 PM

OT: Stock Markets/Investments. Any experts out there?

Just retired two months ago and rolled over my pension into an IRA with middle-of-the-road investments, risk-wise. So far, in the last 60 days, I've lost close to 30K from my portfolio. I'm new to this and certainly no expert; people tell me all the time to NOT look at daily results on investments, but sometimes I can't help it. Anyone here going through the same kinda stuff? -Jeff N.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 09-30-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:52 PM

Finance Ph.D.here with over 25 years of investing experience, and studied and still study most research papers focused on the investment performance of professional money managers like mutual fund managers, hedge fund managers, etc. In short, listen to the advice you mentioned about not looking at daily results. Indeed, I would lengthen that to not looking except maybe once a quarter or every six months so you can rebalance if necessary.

The overwhelming majority of studies on the ability of professional money managers to time the stock market or to pick stocks with superior risk-adjusted returns conclude that the professionals fail at these tasks. To hope to do these as an individual investor is next to impossible.

The problem is that if you get out when things get scary, you will usually miss the rebound and then wind up behind. Just be sure that you are well diversified across US and global stocks and bonds appropriate for your age, and then... just go ride around (JGRA)!
Old 09-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

What exactly is the problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snap27.jpg (30.0 KB, 367 views)
Old 09-30-2014, 05:54 PM

The stock market is not tanking.
Is $30K a significant percentage of your portfolio?
Old 09-30-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
The stock market is not tanking.
Is $30K a significant percentage of your portfolio?
I was wrong to say, "tanking". And no, 30K is not a significant percentage. It's just that, since watching my portfolio activity, it's been an almost steady decline. It's a bit disconcerting. -Jeff
Old 09-30-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackMan View Post
Finance Ph.D.here with over 25 years of investing experience, and studied and still study most research papers focused on the investment performance of professional money managers like mutual fund managers, hedge fund managers, etc. In short, listen to the advice you mentioned about not looking at daily results. Indeed, I would lengthen that to not looking except maybe once a quarter or every six months so you can rebalance if necessary.

The overwhelming majority of studies on the ability of professional money managers to time the stock market or to pick stocks with superior risk-adjusted returns conclude that the professionals fail at these tasks. To hope to do these as an individual investor is next to impossible.

The problem is that if you get out when things get scary, you will usually miss the rebound and then wind up behind. Just be sure that you are well diversified across US and global stocks and bonds appropriate for your age, and then... just go ride around (JGRA)!
Will do. -Jeff N.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:02 PM

Some days it goes up, some days it goes down. Don't worry about it. In 5 years time it will most likely just be a blip in the graph like every other correction.

Personally I think it's a time to buy good shares
Old 09-30-2014, 06:03 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Jeff, if you're going to worry that much about it you need to strongly consider finding something else to invest in. Otherwise, it will be a constant source of worry and not worth the additional return you're getting for the risk you're taking.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Classics Fan

Shane and Louis make good points, assuming that Louis' post wasn't tongue in cheek.

If you own a globally diversified portfolio of low cost ETFs or mutual funds, there isn't any reason to watch it day to day unless you believe that you can predict something that the market can't.

If you believe that the chart Louis posted is an indicator of future prosperity, then you have nothing to worry about. If you believe it is an indication that this rally has grown long in the tooth, and we're about to see a big crash, then that is something to take into consideration.

YOu didn't say exactly what you do own, so it is hard to say specifics. But hopefully you aren't holding a few individual securities.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:07 PM

wait for the frn rant....
Old 09-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Older Than You

No expert but stick with index mutual funds and low cost ETF's. You can manage your own portfolio with minimal effort.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:08 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Shane and Louis make good points, assuming that Louis' post wasn't tongue in cheek.
I'm not a Chartist and I'm assuming I can't predict the future. The point of the graph was not to say that we're about to have a huge correction (although we might).

My point, which is 100% based on the data, is that the recent fluctuations are not a whole lot different from other previous fluctuations (and in fact, not bad at all). Furthermore, if the OP is worried about that, he's in for a very bumpy ride.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:10 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
wait for the frn rant....
What's an "frn?"
Old 09-30-2014, 06:11 PM

Thanks to everyone. Much appreciated. You are all obviously FAR more educated on this subject than I am! -Jeff N.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 09-30-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:12 PM

louis it's the rant that can't be prevented because forum software doesn't permit "ignore list" to include mods.