Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2014, 11:00 AM

Best Cyclocross Tubular

Ok, so if you are going to buy ONE set of tubulars for cyclocross racing what would you use?? My top picks are as follows:

1. Dugast Typhoon
2. FMB SSC
3. Dugast Rhino
4. Challenge Grifo

Thoughts? Thanks in advance
Old 08-22-2014, 11:11 AM

depends greatly on what the majority of your courses consist of and your riding style.

if it's generally dry dirt and grass, what works won't be the same as if it's generally wet grass or mud. lots of tight corners? more fast sweepers and straight line speed?

I've had Challenge Grifo and would consider the Dugast Typhoon and FMB SSC to be very similar. good all-rounders, but not what I'd call good in mud or hard cornering grip.
Of those I'd go for the Rhino, but mostly because being tall and heavy I need all the cornering grip I can get.

this year I'm trying FMB's Super Mud and Gripo XL. it won't really matter results-wise for me, sadly I'm at the fitness level where tires aren't a deciding factor.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:12 AM

i wouldn't think there is a "best". conditions dictate the ideal tread pattern over anything, no?

but i don't race or ride cross so maybe I'm wrong
Old 08-22-2014, 11:24 AM

This is true, but I don't have the budget this year for mulitple wheelsets so I am looking for one decent tire to do it all. And I know this is a stretch in cross.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:26 AM

I wish I could get my hands on FMB or Dugast, right now the best for me have been
Challenge Chicane
Grifo
Old 08-22-2014, 11:37 AM

I've been happier with the Fango tread rather than the Grifo for a "one tire for all" situation.

I'm likely in that same situation this season, as well.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:47 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Fango or one of the Clement offerings

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:01 PM

One of my friends mentioned Fango front/Grifo rear.....?
Old 08-22-2014, 12:12 PM

I have 2 new FMB Super Prestige Sprint cyclocross 28mm and 2 used (less than 100mi, perfect no cuts base tape intact) 30mm that I would like to sell.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:59 PM

I use, as my only set, a pair of Challenge Grifos. In the past I've also had Fangos as my only-pair-at-the-time.

Both are good. Fango is a bit more aggressive in cornering, but they're definitely slipperier in wet conditions. Since I'm light I can run my pressure reeeaaally low and that means that the Grifo actually becomes a pretty good tire for certain muddy conditions. I choose Challenge because for an only-pair I'd rather use them, since they're cheaper, than the FMBs or Dugasts.

I'd also look closely at the Clement PDX tubular. It was designed as a mud tire but has a good all-around rep. Plus, as an Only Tire, it's said to take sealant pretty well.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:22 PM

i've also run Clements, PDX front and rear for much of two seasons, but last year flatted a couple times, even after sealant. then when i pulled the tires off in January to sell the wheels, found that the basetape came off the tires way too easily, so now they're either garbage or need to have new basetape put on. they were stored in a climate controlled dark place, but still dried out. two seasons may be an OK run, but i wasn't super happy about that.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:51 PM

After doing some reading the Clement MXP seems to be a good choice as well.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:55 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

As an only front tire, I'd go PDX over anything else I've ridden: SSCs, Grifos, Fangos, and some misc other tires.

Rears? Pick an all-round tread pattern and hope it don't rain/snow.

Last year I was running PDX fronts with Grifo rears and it worked pretty well for our Mid-Atlantic 'lotsa turns grass crits.' This year, I went and bought a few MXPs as rears. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Have a dedicated mud wheelset with a PDX front and Limus rear. This one's a 32/32 Mach2 Ceramic wheelset. If I can't stop with those, I ain't stoppin!

M
Old 08-22-2014, 08:27 PM

If you are on a budget you may want to forgo the fancy rubber and get nice but more modest. Use the difference to put towards cheap pit wheels with a different tread.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:38 PM

I've run Grifos for years. Going to be honest, people put way too much thought into tire selection. Run something with a decent knobby for grip in the corners and you'll be fine. Every year there is some revolutionary tire that everyone clamors for and when you look at the tread pattern they're some variation of the Grifo or Rhino. It's not the tires that are going to make the difference. It's your fitness and ability to suffer for 45 mins.

Now tire pressure...thats a whole other story!