Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2014, 10:50 AM

I was experiencing some prostate issues after riding Fizik aliantes for years so I took a chance and tried one of the new Shimano Pro saddles. I'm riding the 142mm Turnix AF which features a large cutout and it's been amazing. No more issues and it's actually comfortable. Best of all, Shimano offers a 30 day return guarantee so I was able to try the 132mm version for 2 weeks and swap it for the wider one. Shimano has 3 or 4 different types of saddles to choose from. They run about $120 for the titanium rails and $200 for carbon.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:53 AM

saddle and fit

Could be a fit issue, but it sounds like your butt does not like the saddles that your brain likes?
Could be width- these are narrow saddles. Even though you are small your sit bones could be wide or protrude in a way where they need a wider base of support.
Regardless of what saddle you choose, you should go a Specialized dealer that has their saddle sizer and find out width of your sitbones.
Also- be careful of the light saddles with the cutout. The SLR saddles have a cutout but the saddle is so flexy that you don't get much support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8aaron8 View Post
I apologize if this should be in the fit section.

So after numerous saddles and many years of riding, I can't find that perfect match. I'm sure this is a common problem among riders. I am good for the first 20 or so miles, but after that there is the usual numbness that can be dealt with okay enough with some shifting and standing. I would love to find that right seat that was great from mile 1 to 100. I have ridden san marco aspides, selle italia flites (vintage and reproductions) selle italia SLI's, fizik arione's, and maybe a few less known models. I would say my favorite of these are the SLI and the vintage flites. They have been the most tolerable on long rides, the SLI maybe a little better than the flite. I have really narrow sit bones, close to the 100mm mark, and am 130lbs. I think skinnier seats work better for me. I was considering trying an slr with a cutout, but thought I'd take some ideas before dropping the money.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:01 AM

Saddles: The never ending quest

Selle Anatomica. Comes in several styles to suit your weight and aesthetic preferences. Very compliant--much more comfortable than a Brooks to me.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:13 AM

With narrow sit bones, chances are you will need a narrow saddle, to keep from chafing the inside of your legs and butt checks. But not always, and it also depends on how thin you are. Imagine you know all this.

For me.....as I aged, according to my orthopedic Doc, the body changes, butt muscles change, the amount of fat under those sit bones changes, skeletal changes occur.....the coccyx comes into play sometimes causing butt pain, etc.

I found relief going back to basics. First.....the saddle has to fit right. Fore and aft, height correct (maybe a little lower now), angle low enough in front not to cause numbness, but high enough in front to keep you from sliding forward, then overall height not too high so as not to rock on top of saddle. I also needed a lot of padding on a narrow saddle. A number of saddle would probably work for me, but use a Terry Fly Ti currently. I think some of the Selle's would also work good. None of the Specialized I used had enough padding for my old butt. I'm OK on 60-70 mile rides. From what you said above, I would raise the nose a tad, then lower the saddle a tad. I ride with a approx 2 1/2" saddle to bar drop (about 3" saddle to hoods), and ride with my sadddle just slightly nose down, then work out any butt issues with saddle height adjustment. I want to ride on the rear part of the seat. The higher the seat, the more the tendency to slide forward to compensate for it being too high. BTW....When I say slightly nose down from level, I mean only a small part of the bubble is out of the window on my level. If I had less drop, would probably ride exactly level. BTW....I adjust with a flat board on top of seat, and the level on top of that.

Last edited by Ralph; 05-24-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:23 AM

Rido Rlt Saddle

Someone in another post about prostate issues and saddles mentioned a saddle called the Rido RLt, I had never heard of it before. I googled it and read about it, then searched ebay and happen to find one for sale and bought it. I went from a 155 wide Selle Italia Turbomatic to the 138 wide Rido Rlt, it is the best saddle I have ever owned, hands down, I couldn't be more comfortable. Unfortunately they re not available presently in the US, or at least hard to find. I'm looking for a second one for my other bike, if anyone knows where to find one in the US please let me know.

Check out the link to their site, it describes how it works, it does work!
http://www.rido-cyclesaddles.com/new...o-c100130.html

quattro
Old 05-24-2014, 11:32 AM

One question -- do you have the saddle level? If not, that could be a part of the numbness.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:35 PM

Get a Selle SLR Kit Carbonio Flow (131mm): Quest ended (for me).
Old 05-24-2014, 05:15 PM

Thanks so much for all the insight. I think I may pay a visit to REI, or take a trip to a decent shop. There is probably a lot of truth that my butt doesn't like what my brain wants. I have predominantly stuck to very racy saddles. One of the fizik saddles I had was too wide in the front which caused unnecessary pain on my thighs. Someone mentioned how skinny I was, and at 5'10" I'm pretty thin with very little "natural" padding anywhere. The shimano saddle return policy sounds promising as does the sight carrying the brooks. Someone else pointed out that dialing in a saddle should be mm increments, I have probably failed on that front.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:26 PM

So here is my plan, after checking my saddle angles the are very slightly tilted up, so I will level them out, maybe slightly down too. Hopefully I will notice a difference tomorrow and not have to look at different saddles. Once again, thanks everyone for some good advice.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:41 PM

I'm nearly as thin/light as you, and use SLRs with maybe 5 degrees of tilt. (down) Some people have poked fun at how it looks weird, but hey, it works.

I have an SLR XC gel flow that I would be happy to lend you, just cover postage.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:15 PM

Rido saddles- US outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro View Post
Someone in another post about prostate issues and saddles mentioned a saddle called the Rido RLt, I had never heard of it before. I googled it and read about it, then searched ebay and happen to find one for sale and bought it. I went from a 155 wide Selle Italia Turbomatic to the 138 wide Rido Rlt, it is the best saddle I have ever owned, hands down, I couldn't be more comfortable. Unfortunately they re not available presently in the US, or at least hard to find. I'm looking for a second one for my other bike, if anyone knows where to find one in the US please let me know.

Check out the link to their site, it describes how it works, it does work!
http://www.rido-cyclesaddles.com/new...o-c100130.html

quattro
Try Weber bicycles in Erie Pa. I think they are the only US outlet. I was ready
to give up cycling until I tried these saddles!
Old 05-24-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Find a shop that does great anatomic bike fits AND has a SMP test ride program..

http://www.sellesmp.com/smp4bike/en/...se-your-saddle
do this, the SMP solved my problems. lovveee them.
some literature if you want to know more: link and link
Old 05-24-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
I'm nearly as thin/light as you, and use SLRs with maybe 5 degrees of tilt. (down) Some people have poked fun at how it looks weird, but hey, it works.

I have an SLR XC gel flow that I would be happy to lend you, just cover postage.
pm sent, thanks
Old 05-25-2014, 02:39 AM

I have a Specialized Romin pro... and after having a well padded Bontrager, the first week on it was hell. A slight adjustment forwards and down, it feels good.

It is still a little over firm and I'm not sure I like the shape - the cut is quite narrow - but the slight adjustments turned it from a horrible experience to 'this isn't too bad'.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:41 PM

I've had a brooks swift for over a year now and have tried many shorts and fit changes in an attempt to make it work but it is still the most uncomfortable saddle I've ever had - it was given to me as a gift.
If you like narrow seats is steer clear of the swift!