Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-02-2014, 09:22 AM
Everything is connected

Light & Motion VIS 180 Micro cold weather

I purchased a Light & Motion VIS 180 Micro a few months ago based upon favorable reviews. My experience during cold weather rides (25-35 degrees) has not been good...maybe 1.5 hours on a fresh charge. Warmer temps seems to be about 6-8 hours of performance. A bit disappointing.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:41 AM

I've had similar issues but worse. I left mine out a couple weeks back in my car for four days in freezing temperatures. I went to charge it up on Christmas eve and it never charged. It worked for all of four seconds before it went out. I'm going to try and exchange it or return it in the next few days, it's only a month old and used it once. I have the regular 180 and it seems to be functioning well in the cold.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:48 AM

Do you store your light out in the cold?

Motorcycle guys discovered this when they converted their motorcycles to li-ion, as did cordless power tool guys. It usually requires heating the battery to get some electrons flowing, and then once the chemical reactions pick up, it's usually self-warming if you're pulling enough power.

Maybe keep it at it's highest setting? That might yield more output since you're likely dipping below operating temp for the battery rather than draining it out completely.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:22 AM

I've got one of those. No problem charging here in Florida. I maybe get 2 rides per charge.....about 5-6 hours on brightest setting.

It's bright enough in shade or dim conditions....but wish I had got a much stronger light for all around use. Do like how it clips.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:14 PM

if it's lithium-ion it's gonna suck anywhere below around 40F. ni-cad works better in low temps but you have to deal with the memory effect, so almost anything rechargeable has gone li-ion. lithium ion has greater power density as well so you get more power out of same size batt as a ni-cad.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:33 PM

I just bought one of these 2 weeks ago. It's still on its first charge. This morning was -24F and it still works fine.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
Do you store your light out in the cold?

Motorcycle guys discovered this when they converted their motorcycles to li-ion, as did cordless power tool guys. It usually requires heating the battery to get some electrons flowing, and then once the chemical reactions pick up, it's usually self-warming if you're pulling enough power.

Maybe keep it at it's highest setting? That might yield more output since you're likely dipping below operating temp for the battery rather than draining it out completely.
Good idea...I'll remove it from the bike when I don't use it as the garage is about 50-55 degrees. When I return from a ride in cold temps and bring the light inside, it does flash brightly again. I don't ride at -24...