Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-26-2013, 04:59 AM

Floor pump?

i'm after a floor pump. nothing too k'ching, but something reliable and serviceable would be nice. i see lots of brands offer floor pumps, but i assume they are not all of equal quality. is there a clear winner out there? what features do i need to look for please?

p.s. are the pressure gauges reliable, or is it better to buy a pump without a gauge and then go get a separate hand gauge?

cheers, Jason.

Last edited by jpw; 12-26-2013 at 05:13 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:04 AM

The lezyne pumps are nice. I did have a problem with the gauge. They sent me a new gauge nqa and I swapped it out in 5 minutes.

I would say in general you should always have a separate gauge. I have a topeak digital one that is pretty nifty. The ones that come mounted aren't terribly reliable .

My lbs swears by the Joe blow. Claims it put his kids through college!
Old 12-26-2013, 05:42 AM

I have a Park floor pump that has been reliable over the years. It's not fancy, but does what it's supposed to do.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:46 AM

I have been very happy with my Lezyne. Very well made. Accurate gauge for most riders. I have a digital Topeak gauge but rarely use it.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:47 AM

My Topeak works fine but the gauge isn't even remotely accurate.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:48 AM

floor pump

i work on a lot of cheaper bikes with schrader valves and use a floor pump daily. i usually burn through a pump a year so the warranty at REI is essential for me. the last Topeak i had wouldnt let go of the valve

a month ago i bought this and so far im liking it a lot

http://www.rei.com/product/751436/se...cpg-floor-pump
Old 12-26-2013, 05:52 AM
Administrator

i've decided that it's perfectly OK to run a variety of pressures in my tires. worrying about the absolute accuracy of a pumps pressure gauge seems a little silly. generally, if im riding the same bike for a few days in a row, i give the tires the "squeeze test" and just ride without checking pressure at all. accurate instruments have their place, but since the choice of tire pressure is based mostly on how they feel riding anyway, repeatability is more important i think, and any pump gauge should have that covered pretty well.

just my thoughts on the matter.

oh, and i love lezyne pupms. i'm a total believer in screwing the pump head onto the valve stem, not pusing some rubber bushing over the stem and yanking it out.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:04 AM

I have a Specialized pump (Air Tool Comp) and its been bombproof. The 3" gauge allows for easy viewing while pumping....and its very accurate. Not the cheapest pump around though. I also have an older Nashbar pump that has held up well but the leverage and easy viewing of the Spec pump has spoiled me.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:29 AM

Lezyne all the way.

Really well made.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i've decided that it's perfectly OK to run a variety of pressures in my tires. worrying about the absolute accuracy of a pumps pressure gauge seems a little silly. generally, if im riding the same bike for a few days in a row, i give the tires the "squeeze test" and just ride without checking pressure at all. accurate instruments have their place, but since the choice of tire pressure is based mostly on how they feel riding anyway, repeatability is more important i think, and any pump gauge should have that covered pretty well.

just my thoughts on the matter.

oh, and i love lezyne pupms. i'm a total believer in screwing the pump head onto the valve stem, not pusing some rubber bushing over the stem and yanking it out.
I agree with you completely.
That's why as long as the pump works I really don't care what the gauge says.
I go by the squeeze test too.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:53 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw View Post
i'm after a floor pump. nothing too k'ching, but something reliable and serviceable would be nice. i see lots of brands offer floor pumps, but i assume they are not all of equal quality. is there a clear winner out there? what features do i need to look for please?

p.s. are the pressure gauges reliable, or is it better to buy a pump without a gauge and then go get a separate hand gauge?

cheers, Jason.
There is only 1 pump and that's Silca....SuperPista. Anywhere from $75 or so to $125...last pump you will need...
Old 12-26-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
There is only 1 pump and that's Silca....SuperPista. Anywhere from $75 or so to $125...last pump you will need...
Yep. Get the head with the little lever thingy.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:03 AM

Shop owner that I ride with has a wide assortment of pumps - some well over $100. After messing with a "cheap" Specialized and Serfas pump I told him I'd pay whatever it took to get a reliable pump. Was thinking Lezyme. He handed me a Joe Blow. Around $50 IIRC.

I wasn't happy with the twin head and ordered the Smarthead kit that comes on the Joe Blow Pro. Repair parts are plentiful - I keep a couple of rebuild kits on hand - about $5/kit - and a check valve kit. Have replaced seals once in five years. Only takes a few minutes to disassemble and get back in business.

Doing it again I'd go with the Blow Pro for the Smarthead from the start. Otherwise completely happy.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:04 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
Yep. Get the head with the little lever thingy.
Hirame and also Tanaka..from Sears, of all places..Brooks at Nordstrom's, Bike stuff at Sears..dogs and cats living together...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...030xMPFSxCPA10
Old 12-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Vendor

Silca or Lezyne. The Lezyne has been my go to for whatever reason. Very nice pump. $55 for a floor drive steel tube with wood handle. Works well. Wish the handle was wider though.