Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2013, 04:50 PM

wheel building question

I will preface this by saying I am a total novice when it comes to wheel building. So if this question is totally stupid then feel free to put me on blast.

Here's my question.

I have a set of 32h CK classic hubs that are currently laced to a set of mavic Reflex ceramic rims. The rear rim had a number of cracks around some of the eyelets and I'm considering my options. the obvious first option would be to replace the reflex with another reflex and be done with it. The issue is that to find another reflex ceramic seems to be both difficult and somewhat costly. Additionally, I really don't have a need for a set of tubulars as I just bought a set of carbon "race" wheels. Now to the meat of my question. Is it reasonable to think that I could find a set of clincher rims that I could use to build up the wheels and still use the same spokes? The spokes and nipples all look to be in fine condition and I'd love to get some use out of these hubs but can't justify spending a lot of money on a wheel set I don't actually need.

Again I will remind you that I am a wheel novice so please be gentle
Old 10-21-2013, 04:59 PM

Yes you can do that, if you know the ERD of the mavic rims now you have to find a clincher rim with a ERD close to it, +- 1 should do it.

There are some rim tables and stuff, you have to check in there, sure you will find something close enough.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:59 PM
tailgunning

just gotta find something with the same ERD

https://www.google.com/search?q=rims...hrome&ie=UTF-8

quick search looks promising
Old 10-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Yeah, anything with a 611mm ERD will work. Mavic Open Sport I think will work.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:46 PM

The H_+Son TB14 is a 610 ERD and should work just fine. That would be my choice as you get the classic look but in a wide profile.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:57 PM

wheel building question

Yeah I just saw those H Plus Sons. Would make for a pretty sweet set of wheels. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 10-21-2013, 07:53 PM

TB-14 is a very easy rim with which to work, and builds up into a very nice-looking wheel. Good choice!

Old 10-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
TB-14 is a very easy rim with which to work, and builds up into a very nice-looking wheel. Good choice!
I'll agree with this. I've built a set for a buddy and am thinking of a set for me.

M
Old 10-21-2013, 09:41 PM

[QUOTE=Aaron_Kellogg;1439292]
I have a set of 32h CK classic hubs that are currently laced to a set of mavic Reflex ceramic rims. The rear rim had a number of cracks around some of the eyelets and I'm considering my options. the obvious first option would be to replace the reflex with another reflex and be done with it. The issue is that to find another reflex ceramic seems to be both difficult and somewhat costly. Additionally, I really don't have a need for a set of tubulars as I just bought a set of carbon "race" wheels. Now to the meat of my question. Is it reasonable to think that I could find a set of clincher rims that I could use to build up the wheels and still use the same spokes? The spokes and nipples all look to be in fine condition .../QUOTE]

So if the spokes and nipples have been on the same wheelset as the rims, they would have seen the same stresses. And since the rims are starting to crack, I would think the spokes and nipples may soon start to break. the thing is, they will not show any "wear" on them, since there is so little material there, they will just snap when they fatigue.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:34 PM

Mmmmm. . . I'd trust 'em, unless I could see imminent problems (if the tension was inconsistent, if the nipples were aluminum and the spokes were too short, et cetera). But in my experience, spoke and nipple breakage usually happens early in a wheel's life, if it's going to happen at all. If these wheels have been ridden enough to need a rim swap, it's probably safe to swap 'em.

Not that I'm saying the other guy is WRONG, just that it's a matter of considerable uncertainty. It's worked a lot; no doubt it's failed some too. But a broken spoke or two is survivable, and watching things carefully as you build the wheels, and as you ride them, --well you should do that with brand-new stuff too!
Old 10-22-2013, 01:17 AM
Total Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcow View Post
The H_+Son TB14 is a 610 ERD and should work just fine. That would be my choice as you get the classic look but in a wide profile.
I did exactly that with some 36h Reflexes. The wheel is now rolling 36h TB14's. Very happy with the results and would do it again in a heart beat.

Tai
Old 10-22-2013, 07:02 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_Kellogg View Post
I will preface this by saying I am a total novice when it comes to wheel building. So if this question is totally stupid then feel free to put me on blast.

Here's my question.

I have a set of 32h CK classic hubs that are currently laced to a set of mavic Reflex ceramic rims. The rear rim had a number of cracks around some of the eyelets and I'm considering my options. the obvious first option would be to replace the reflex with another reflex and be done with it. The issue is that to find another reflex ceramic seems to be both difficult and somewhat costly. Additionally, I really don't have a need for a set of tubulars as I just bought a set of carbon "race" wheels. Now to the meat of my question. Is it reasonable to think that I could find a set of clincher rims that I could use to build up the wheels and still use the same spokes? The spokes and nipples all look to be in fine condition and I'd love to get some use out of these hubs but can't justify spending a lot of money on a wheel set I don't actually need.

Again I will remind you that I am a wheel novice so please be gentle
ERD of the Reflex I think is 614mm or something(I', at home)..not many clincher rims, considering their profile, are that high.

BUT spokes online are not expensive. If you just want straight gauge spokes(not the best but they work), they can be had in the $.50 range.

ahh see the ERD is about 610..H+Son rims in that range..all ya gotta do.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:03 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Yeah, anything with a 611mm ERD will work. Mavic Open Sport I think will work.
608mm
Old 10-22-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
So if the spokes and nipples have been on the same wheelset as the rims, they would have seen the same stresses. And since the rims are starting to crack, I would think the spokes and nipples may soon start to break. the thing is, they will not show any "wear" on them, since there is so little material there, they will just snap when they fatigue.
This is a misrepresentation of spoke failure mechanisms. Just like with the rim, spokes can fail from fatigue. But fatigue failures typically do not happen suddenly without warning - fatigue cracks grow slowly overtime, which can usually be discovered through inspection before the part fails. If the spokes and nipples look fine (no cracking or crazing present), they probably are fine.

Another factor to be considered is the type of rim that failed. Mavic's ceramic rims are hard anodized, and hard anodizing of aluminum increases the propensity of fatigue crack initiation. Since this type of rim is more prone to cracks, there is no reason to think that just because the rim fatigued, that the spokes will have fatigued also.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
This is a misrepresentation of spoke failure mechanisms. Just like with the rim, spokes can fail from fatigue. But fatigue failures typically do not happen suddenly without warning - fatigue cracks grow slowly overtime, which can usually be discovered through inspection before the part fails. If the spokes and nipples look fine (no cracking or crazing present), they probably are fine.

Another factor to be considered is the type of rim that failed. Mavic's ceramic rims are hard anodized, and hard anodizing of aluminum increases the propensity of fatigue crack initiation. Since this type of rim is more prone to cracks, there is no reason to think that just because the rim fatigued, that the spokes will have fatigued also.
What he said, an issue with mavic HA rims for decades...