Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2013, 02:27 PM

Albany, NY?

I have potential Job prospects in Albany, NY and am wondering if anyone on the forum lives there. I have a few questions:

1. What's the riding like?
2. What are cool neighborhoods for late 20's culture vultures?
3. Any good forms of public transit to get to Niskayuna?

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2013, 02:59 PM

I lived there about 20 years ago.
I enjoyed it very much.
I lived "downtown" but could head out New Scotland Avenue, past St. Peter's Hospital and be in "the country" in 15 minutes.
The cool kids lived in the area around Lark Street, near Washington Park.
I'm not sure how much things have changed. Lots of forumites from the Albany area, you will get lots of good info in this thread.

All in all it's a very pleasant place to live and play.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDollarsign View Post
I have potential Job prospects in Albany, NY and am wondering if anyone on the forum lives there. I have a few questions:

1. What's the riding like?
2. What are cool neighborhoods for late 20's culture vultures?
3. Any good forms of public transit to get to Niskayuna?

Thanks!
Lots of good riding options in every direction - When I am up visiting my mom I usually ride west and south - check out the area around Thatcher Park. Also check out the Capital Bicycle Racing Club website and the Mohawk Hudson Cycling Club webites.

Not sure about cool neighborhoods - but if you want to walk to bars down near Lark street is probably best. Lots of people in their 20's live in one of the many apartment complexes in Delmar, Guilderland and Colonie. some of those apartment complexes have lots of old peeps too, so look carefully.

No idea on public transit, but bus is the only option. Definitely will want a car to get around.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:55 PM

I grew up there and most of my family is still there. The Thatcher Park area referenced above is spot on -- great great riding (esp if you enjoy a few hills).

I say (with at least a little affection) that Albany is a place that has seriously under-developed its assets -- it has the state capitol, several major universities, a river running through the downtown, and yet people spend most of their time in shopping malls that just keep growing and growing until they eventually cannibalize each other. I do agree that Lark St area is about as funky as you are going to get.

An alternative, though it involves some (30 mins) driving, might be living up in Saratoga. Then you could check out Serotta factories and the like, and the town is really quite nice. ;-)
Old 05-16-2013, 08:39 PM
Post Mod-ern

Mr. $ . . .

PM sent.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 05-16-2013, 08:47 PM

BBD, we have been waiting for this one.

I live in Delmar, about five miles south of Albany. Quite a nice area with an excellent school district. My wife is a teacher and the school system was top on our list.

The riding is excellent, North to the Adirondack mts., South to the Catskills, immediately West to the Helderberg range.

I have been an active member of the Capital Bicycle Racing Club for many years, a great group of people. Active road racing scene locally, super excellent cross series locally (everything is base miles for cross).

PM me if you would like a tour of this area.

As far as living arrangements, check out Saratoga. Beautiful up there, a quick trip down rt 50 to Schenectady.

Best of luck.

Dave
Old 05-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Post Mod-ern

Just be careful . . .

. . . of that "Cat3" guy . . . he yells "car back: to get everybody to mobve over--then makes his move!

BBD
Old 05-16-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3roadracer View Post
I have been an active member of the Capital Bicycle Racing Club for many years, a great group of people.
+1. I couldn't make it up to Johnnycake this year, but I will be in Albany for the criteriums.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:11 PM

David, I have no chance in a sprint to the town line. I must depend on deceipt and trickery.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave View Post
. . . of that "Cat3" guy . . . he yells "car back: to get everybody to mobve over--then makes his move!

BBD
Very good riding all over the capital district. However, we can have longish winters.

If riding is a priority, you may want to live in the more rural suburban areas outside of the cities -- Albany, Troy and Schenectady.

Depending on where you choose to live, commuting by bicycle into Albany can be tough. If you want to have ready access to the Adirondacks, look north into Saratoga County. But, you also want to be wary of the commute -- the "twin bridges" over the Mohawk River are a disaster during rush hour.

Last edited by djg21; 05-16-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:20 PM

Thanks so much for the replies. Let me clarify, I would be working in Niskayuna but living in Albany. My wife is an urban planner and isn't too keen on moving to a non-urban area, so I assume Albany is as urban as it gets.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:44 AM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

CD,

At least take your wife up to Saratoga Springs, show her around & then let her decide. Very cool place & fantastic riding right from the front door.

My folks just moved back there full time to the old homestead off Lake Ave (sold the house in OBX). Looking forward to spending a couple weeks (or more if I can swing it) there this summer.

BobC
Old 05-17-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDollarsign View Post
Thanks so much for the replies. Let me clarify, I would be working in Niskayuna but living in Albany. My wife is an urban planner and isn't too keen on moving to a non-urban area, so I assume Albany is as urban as it gets.
She would likely prefer downtown Saratoga to downtown Albany. I know I do.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Post Mod-ern

Downtown Saratoga . . .

. . . has changed a lot in the past 5 years. Many large buildings have gone up, mostly apparently with condos, and the parking is not fun. IMO the character has changed a great deal and not for the better.

I try to stay away from town completely during horse racing season in July and August. The population of horse's behinds goes way up--and I don't mean just in the track stables.

BBD
Old 05-17-2013, 08:40 AM
Tom fKB

Depends where in Nisky you'd work but my wife was taking the express bus to Albany from the Dorptown. Same time as to drive, dropped off at the plaza. The only downside to that is that if you work in Albany your day has a hard stop. (Subsequently heaven and earth moved and the state allotted her a parking place so it's back to 13 hour days for her... a mixed blessing.)

If you want urban in bad need of some good planning check out the Dorptown. Actually, downtown is doing OK but the farther out you get from the middle it kind of slackens off.

You could do like my neighbor, though, when he worked in Albany he'd get a couple $10 salvage bikes and fix them up and install one at each end of his bus commute. Ride from home bike to stop, ride bus, ride bike to work. Ride bike from work to stop, ride bus, ride bike home. If one got stolen he's out $50 in bike and parts and had a short walk that day.

Check out HRRT, too. Active scene in town here.

It's later than you think.