Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2013, 02:11 PM
'97 Ti Legend

Question on installing Campy 11 chain

So, I'm building up a Campy 11 speed group for the first time. I know about the peening of the pin and all, but I'm going to use the KMC 11 speed link instead. So can I drive the pin out of an 11 speed chain with a 10 speed tool (I have the Campy 10 speed tool) or will I have to buy an 11 speed tool just to remove the link so I can put in a KMC link?

On the other hand, anyone have experience with the Pedro's Evolver Multi-Chain Tool yet? It works on the 11s pin and has a peening slot, so if I were to use a proper Campy pin it seems like this is the most economic tool to install 11-speed chains?

Yea or nay?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Vintage Serotta

I'm in the exact same boat but with 2 chains to install. I'd love to know the answer.

Thanks for asking!
Old 05-14-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
So, I'm building up a Campy 11 speed group for the first time. I know about the peening of the pin and all, but I'm going to use the KMC 11 speed link instead. So can I drive the pin out of an 11 speed chain with a 10 speed tool (I have the Campy 10 speed tool) or will I have to buy an 11 speed tool just to remove the link so I can put in a KMC link?
You can use the 10sp tool to drive the pin out. I do it all the time and use both KMC and IRD links.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Imshi Cycles

i just use a 10 speed chain breaker.

since you want to end up with 2 inner links to use the quick link, it doesnt really matter if the outer links get a little bent in the process as they wont be used anyways.

make sense?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:26 PM
'97 Ti Legend

I was going to suggest that we split the Pedro's tool, but looks like we are all set. I'm glad, I love that Campy 10 chain tool, it makes me happy every time I use it. I'd hate to replace it with a Pedro's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewlcox View Post
I'm in the exact same boat but with 2 chains to install. I'd love to know the answer.

Thanks for asking!
Anybody have a plug for either the KMC or the IRD link working better?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
You can use the 10sp tool to drive the pin out. I do it all the time and use both KMC and IRD links.
This. I use Campy 11 speed chains in this way. KMC quick link and a regular chain breaker. Simple as a pimple. You may want to get the master link tools one to open the quick link and one to set it. They are not expensive.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:34 PM

[QUOTE=Black Dog;1349892]This. I use Campy 11 speed chains in this way. KMC quick link and a regular chain breaker. Simple as a pimple. You may want to get the master link tools one to open the quick link and one to set it. They are not expensive.[QUOTE]

Yes, I use those too. I use the KMC link only once. I use the IRD links for the life of the chain.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:35 PM
'97 Ti Legend

I have the tool to open them already. I assume if I stand on the pedal with the brake on I can create sufficient force to set the KMC, no? BTW I'm a pretty big guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
This. I use Campy 11 speed chains in this way. KMC quick link and a regular chain breaker. Simple as a pimple. You may want to get the master link tools one to open the quick link and one to set it. They are not expensive.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:37 PM

Do it right, campy all the way.

I busted a Suntour chain (yes long ago) on a steep azz hill while sprinting up it in the big ring. Hurt like an effing sob. So, I don't mess with what the factory (shimano or campy-they are the best) does. Proper Campy 11 tool is not that expensive for the quality.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:42 PM

If the OP is going to use a master link, there is not point in buying the pricey Campy tool.

The only minor problem that can occur with an older chain tool is the need to file down the middle support, on the side closest to the drive pin. That's needed if the outer plate closest to the drive pin rest on the middle support. The outer plate that's against the back of the tool is supposed to bear the load from the driving pin.

I've filed my old Park CT-3 tool twice - once for 10 speed and again for 11 speed.

I also own the Campy 11 speed tool, since there were no master links that fit the chain, when it first came out, late in '08.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Bike Guy

I use Park Tool 10s chain tool to break the Campy 11 chains, then install the KMC quick link and stand on the drive side pedal while holding the front break to lock it in place. Worked so far, no chain issues. I also bought the park tool to open the KMC quick link for when I want to remove chains, makes it much easier.

On a side note, the IRD quick link is re-usable if I am not mistaken, the KMC is not. I bought a 10 pack of KMC which brought it out to a few $ per link so there is that option. Both work well though at holding my chains and I grind up some stupid steep hills in Asheville.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Colnagoist

Question on installing Campy 11 chain

The Lezyne 11 speed chain took works really well. It also has a peening "blocker", you have just to be careful and hold firm the chain because it doesn't have the clip as the campagnolo tool, costs around $40, highly recommended.

Last edited by Salsa_Lover; 05-14-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Do it right, campy all the way.

I busted a Suntour chain (yes long ago) on a steep azz hill while sprinting up it in the big ring. Hurt like an effing sob. So, I don't mess with what the factory (shimano or campy-they are the best) does. Proper Campy 11 tool is not that expensive for the quality.
The KMC link is the best thing since sliced bread (as is the master link tool for installation...and especially removal)....you are missing out...and I've owned the Campy 10s tool.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post

On the other hand, anyone have experience with the Pedro's Evolver Multi-Chain Tool yet? It works on the 11s pin and has a peening slot, so if I were to use a proper Campy pin it seems like this is the most economic tool to install 11-speed chains?

Yea or nay?
Just push the pin out with any chain tool..it doesn't matter.

I have the Pedro's tool and yes, it does work with the 11s pin. No problem.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetoclimb View Post
I use Park Tool 10s chain tool to break the Campy 11 chains, then install the KMC quick link and stand on the drive side pedal while holding the front break to lock it in place. Worked so far, no chain issues. I also bought the park tool to open the KMC quick link for when I want to remove chains, makes it much easier.

On a side note, the IRD quick link is re-usable if I am not mistaken, the KMC is not. I bought a 10 pack of KMC which brought it out to a few $ per link so there is that option. Both work well though at holding my chains and I grind up some stupid steep hills in Asheville.
It is(IRD one) but Merry Sales, the people that bring it in, don't have any, don't plan on getting any..they really couldn't give me a reason why.