Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2013, 02:21 PM

Help with BB30 upgrade build

I recently purchased a Cannondale SuperSix and would like to upgrade the components. Being a recent Cannondale, it has a BB30 bottom bracket. The cranks that came on the bike are a pretty low spec FSA Gossamer Pro compact crankset.

I'd like to upgrade the components to either Dura Ace 9000 or a mix of Record/Chorus 11 speed. I know the shifting won't be ideal, but will I be able to use the FSA Gossamer cranks with either of the two upgrade paths I'm considering? As more funds become available I will upgrade the cranks to either Shimano or Campy (depending on which way I go on the new components), but in the meantime I'd like to use the Gossamers. Alternatively, a friend of mine has a NIB SRAM 2011 RED BB30 crankset that he is willing to sell for almost nothing, would that work with DA 9000 or Record/Chorus?

One last question, between Shimano and Campy, is one a better choice then the other regarding BB30 adapters? I remember reading something about the Praxis BB30 adapter which is supposed to be wonderful, I haven't heard anything as definitive about a Campy adapter setup.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2013, 02:33 PM

There's been some reports of chain jamming when using the 11 spd chain on 10 spd cranks.

I like the Wheels Mfg adapter myself. It's simple, cheap, and effective. I had zero problems with mine when I ran 7800 cranks on my BB30. Don't waste a ton of money on an adapter if it's a temporary fix.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
There's been some reports of chain jamming when using the 11 spd chain on 10 spd cranks.
Hmm, chain jamming, never thought of that. Followup question, would a Campy Athena 11 crank work OK with Record 11 Fr. derailleur and chain?
Old 03-22-2013, 04:09 PM

Yup. Would work great....

I'd grab a hollowgram if you can... Great crank
Old 03-22-2013, 05:25 PM

as was just said,

you want a hollowgram crank.
This is THE crank for BB30 (in fact, it is the only reason I consider a BB30 bike sometimes).

The Cannondale Hollowgram sets the standard for weight AND stiffness, there are very few products that can claim that.

Further, it matches your Cannondale bike perfectly.

Finally, Cannondale has released 3 versions. The oldest is called SI with silver arms and can be found pretty cheaply on eBAY. The SISL has black arms and can also be found cheaply on the bay, because Cannondale just released a brand new sisl2 set (retail about $800 I think).

But you can shop used and get a SI or SISL crank for less than $400 and it really is a nicer option than a campy or shimano crank and adapters.

Go with campy, not Shimano

Chorus all the way, there is no benefit to Record or SR except in cost, the weight savings is minimal and performance is same. If you have extra money and want to save weight invest in planet X brakes, saves 70 or so grams off campy.

Last edited by reggiebaseball; 03-22-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiebaseball View Post
...... Finally, Cannondale has released 3 versions. The oldest is called SI with silver arms and can be found pretty cheaply on eBAY. The SISL has black arms and can also be found cheaply on the bay, because Cannondale just released a brand new sisl2 set (retail about $800 I think).....
I'm sure the newest version (sisl2) is 11 speed compatible (correct?) but how about the 2 older versions? Any known problems with front shifting?
Old 03-22-2013, 06:53 PM
Cat 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunder View Post
I'm sure the newest version (sisl2) is 11 speed compatible (correct?) but how about the 2 older versions? Any known problems with front shifting?
You can put 11 speed FSA rings on them. FWIW I'm using 10 speed rings on an older SRM and it's fine. If the Red cranks are THAT cheap, grab em. The Hollowgrams are the best, but $$$. You can often get a set of Specialized S-Works cranks used for half the price of Grams.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I recently purchased a Cannondale SuperSix and would like to upgrade the components. Being a recent Cannondale, it has a BB30 bottom bracket. The cranks that came on the bike are a pretty low spec FSA Gossamer Pro compact crankset.

I'd like to upgrade the components to either Dura Ace 9000 or a mix of Record/Chorus 11 speed. I know the shifting won't be ideal, but will I be able to use the FSA Gossamer cranks with either of the two upgrade paths I'm considering? As more funds become available I will upgrade the cranks to either Shimano or Campy (depending on which way I go on the new components), but in the meantime I'd like to use the Gossamers. Alternatively, a friend of mine has a NIB SRAM 2011 RED BB30 crankset that he is willing to sell for almost nothing, would that work with DA 9000 or Record/Chorus?

One last question, between Shimano and Campy, is one a better choice then the other regarding BB30 adapters? I remember reading something about the Praxis BB30 adapter which is supposed to be wonderful, I haven't heard anything as definitive about a Campy adapter setup.

Thanks!
One issue is that 9000 FD is positional, like all shimano are and 9000 relys on 11s chainring spacing. Campag does too but is much more forgiving in this regard(more of a ratching friction). TA does make chainrings that will fit onto that crank spaced for 11s.

AS for BB30, Praxis, Wheels, Parlee and Campagnolo make BB30 cups and adapters. shimano makes none since they must think BB30 is a passing fad.

BTW-I had a Record 10s crank onto a Chorus 11s demo Moots bike for about 3 years and never had any issue whatsoever.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Hmm, chain jamming, never thought of that. Followup question, would a Campy Athena 11 crank work OK with Record 11 Fr. derailleur and chain?
yep..
Old 03-23-2013, 06:42 AM

As an FYI, I just purchased full 9000 group for 1775, remove a unneeded things, perhaps brakes and could get into a more reasonable rate. Don't want to market vendors here, send me pm...
Or how about a chorus group with Athena crank, that would fairly reasonable. A full Athena group can be had for 900..