Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2013, 08:02 AM
Made in Belgium

OT: IT project management from scratch?

I know it's way off topic so mods feel free to delete.

Anybody managing projects in the IT world? I'm looking for some advice here : I have been a Java Web developer for the last ten years but I would like to switch to project management. I have zero experience with this except seeing things from the other side of the fence as a programmer.

So I was wandering... Is it realistic to think that I could get a junior PM position by following a few continuing studies courses? I assume that to look credible I should have at least a few certifications like Scrum Master? PMI PMP? Do you think these are valuable enough that I should invest in them? How hard is it to obtain those with zero experience?

Many questions And wisdom from the pros would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Philippe.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:21 AM

Post I was a PMP and Certified IBM PE

You need to first get some experience after taking some PM courses. They are still in demand and with your technical background it will also help. If you need any specific info or a discussion, feel free to contact me. Just like with programming or other fields, getting a good foundation on knowledge is always a good beginning, PETE
Old 02-06-2013, 08:44 AM
Post Mod-ern

Hey, it's labeled "OT" . . .

. . . so no problem! I hope you get some good advice. This is one of the things this forum is here for--so we can help each other!

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 02-06-2013, 08:55 AM

Phillippe, Pm'd you with a long rambling Pm. Hopefully it made sense.

<tongue in cheek> WHY??? <-- this was to make Pete laugh (or any PM)
Old 02-06-2013, 09:01 AM

do you work for yourself or in a company now?

If in a company, get with your boss and let em know what your goal is. take some courses so you can speak the lingo and understand the models. then get the boss to give you a chance to get your feet wet by having him or someone who does project management let you take on some PM responsibilities...you kow like a mentoring relationship.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:08 AM

I am a PMI PMP with a focus on IT. My cert is not current as I changed jobs to a position where it is no longer required. I used to manage IT projects as large as $25M.

Lots of people call themselves Project Managers. Lots of people diagnose medical issues over the Internet, too, but they do not call themselves doctors.

I think it would be hard to obtain your PMP without practical experience, at least in one try. I had many years of formal project management experience under my belt before I even started studying for my PMP. I spent 9 months studying and passed on the first try. It is not an easy test.

Project management in general is, like most IT work, equally boring, challenging, unappreciated, rewarded, mundane, and fulfilling. How your company views PM's and their role, how willing the IT stakeholders are to give up control, how senior management empowers them, can make the difference between an enjoyable career and pure hell.

I would get the PMI book, read it through, and talk to your management.

Good luck.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Everything is connected

Our folks receive continuing Ed in project management, even though some of them have been PM's for 20 years or so. There is a fellow in Princeton that we use to mentor as you said, our team, as well as our partners, in organizing a process that works for technical and non-technical folks as well.

Send a PM and I'll send you info.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 AM

At my very large company, people such as yourself are given the opportunity to "coordinate" small projects (that don't qualify for a PM) to get their feet wet. I have found that I can easily identify potential quality PMs from this exercise.

If you have the organizational skills (a good PM's primary prerequisite IMHO) for it, I say follow the advice of the PMI types here and read a book or take an intro class. If your current company will allow it, volunteer to take something on outside your current skillset.

Good Luck.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Made in Belgium

Guys, thank you so much for the replies and to roguedog for his lengthy PM.

I now have a much better idea of what's going on / where I should go than when I woke up this morning.

Here's the situation basically :
- I'm unemployed right now so no chance to give a try at PM in my current company.
- BUT having 10 years of experience as a lead developer is certainly something that I should put forward.
- I should get Scrum certification, it's a short trip and it's appreciated.
- I should get some basic training and while I'm at it an entry level PMI certification.

Shovelhd I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts, even if you won't ship anything to Canada - just kidding

I love these forums. There are always experts about anything - on or off topic!

Thanks for wishing me luck. I hope you have a nice evening all.

Philippe.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:09 PM

if you are unemployed and might be for a while

this is the perfect time to meet some managers and offer to do something for free for them (legal) in exchange for the opportunity to get your feet wet. I once offered to do the stuff I was tired of and good at for free for three months in exchange for being mentored in doing what I wanted to do next. I never had to work for free, but did my thing for 3 months as a paid intern while learning the new thing. At the end of those 3 months my manager hired a new person to do my shi$t work and made me a full time employee doing organization development. While I set up her training department infrastructure she mentored me through a couple of projects that were valuable for her.Then she made me a colleague. Win, win, win.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:11 PM

So, I am not an IT professional (I am an economist) and I am not a project or program manager (I am an economist). Despite these rather salient facts, I am in charge of a ~$60 million IT modernization/development effort. A couple of facts have become clear to me that may be helpful. First, project management is a distinct discipline from either being the business owner (me) or the developer (what you used to do). Having insight into either or both is very good, but it can be distracting. In principle (but not really in practice) a PM could do their job without knowing that much about the business. My personal view is that I could be a PM by thinking really hard and working really hard, but there are methods and practices that exist and that work well. Going with the certification will do two things. Signal to prospective employers that you know something and that you take it seriously, and second . . . actually make you think hard about what being a PM is. A really good PM can save a project. You may not make friends in the process, though.

Resist the urge to think that because you were a lead developer you know a lot about being a PM. That may well be true, but try to take it as a separate discipline. In the end, you'll combine your experience with your new knowledge and you'll be better for it.

My opinion . . . worth roughly twice what you paid for it.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Made in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydhest View Post
Resist the urge to think that because you were a lead developer you know a lot about being a PM. That may well be true, but try to take it as a separate discipline. In the end, you'll combine your experience with your new knowledge and you'll be better for it.
Thanks for your opinion, I really appreciate.

I know it's a different job, and I did not say I know a lot about PM. I'm fully aware that I'm a total noob.

But I also know how frustrating it is - as a programmer - to work with a PM who leads an IT project and doesn't have the most basic technical knowledge. I have been there many times and lost an awful amount of time and energy explaining simple technical considerations. That's why I believe my experience will be worth something if I chose the PM path, as you said
Old 02-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Everything is connected

Here's our PM guru...Frank. Call him, he's a great resource.

http://www.fastcompany.com/1822525/w...agement-anyway
Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Made in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
Here's our PM guru...Frank. Call him, he's a great resource.

http://www.fastcompany.com/1822525/w...agement-anyway
Excellent article, thanks a lot!

I'll read his eBook.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcollard View Post
Excellent article, thanks a lot!

I'll read his eBook.
Don't do the movie as even Frank didn't like it. We had our staff read the book, apply the process to several real life project issues, then we had Frank in the office for two days to test and refine further. It's working but it takes discipline and commitment like any professional endeavor. He's helped our firm, both younger staff and old dogs alike.