Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2005, 05:07 AM
Administrator

It's a family thing now!

On Saturday after we arrived home from my son's soccer practice & game, the first thing he wanted to do was work on his new road bike. The Nitto bars and quill stem on it are a little too tall (he he ) and a bit too long for him (even by Jerk standards). So I started him on the job by removing the old bar tape and then showing him how to access and loosen the brake levers and slide them off. Then we loosened up the stem bolt and tapped it loose (every time I wanted a tool, he wanted to give me "THE" universal tool, a hammer. That's my boy! ). I swapped out the bars & stem with a nice gloss black ITM quill stem and bars (Many thanks Too Tall). The bars were narrower and the stem shorter then the Nittos. I buffed that stem out and it shines like the rest of his lugged steel, stealthy, gloss black frame. We had stopped by my LBS the day before and I let him pick out his own bar tape (Cinelli). He chose a very GREEN green......not what I would have chosen but hey, it's his bike and it kind of works. We put the levers back on and then I showed him how to wrap the bar tape.
By now he's really excited to get out and ride it. I had a few things I had to take care of first so he goes out and starts riding around the yard on his road bike. I look out a little while later and smile as I see him zipping across the yard and then punching one hand in the air as he crosses his imaginary finish line.

I finish up what I'm doing and get my bike out and take him over to a nearby dead end side road. At first I just cruised along with him going up & down the road. I gave him a few pointers on hand positioning and braking. He's doing extremely well so I finally just pull over to the side and let him zip back and forth. Pretty soon he's getting up out of the saddle and trying to sprint. He's got his hands on the hoods so I suggest getting in the drops and trying again. He thought it felt much better. Pretty soon he's experimenting with the gears; "I like that, I can go faster" he says with a grin on his face.
After about another 30 minutes we wrap it up and head back to the house to get dinner going. Later that evening you know what he tells me? He tells me he wants to try the rollers. Man, seven years old and he's already after me to get him up on the rollers. I haven't pushed him on this at all. He just likes riding bikes. He's always wanting to watch the bike racing DVD's I have.
I better keep training heavily or he'll likely be dropping his old man by the time he's nine years old.

I love being a dad!!!

William
Old 09-19-2005, 05:58 AM

Love being a dad

It's like heaven on earth (most of the time)

(little boys should NEVER go to sleep, they'll only wake up a day older)
Peter Pan

Ron C
Old 09-19-2005, 06:06 AM
Elizabeth and Jenny's Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
I love being a dad!!!

William
It does not get any better. Enjoy.

Kevin

"Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson

"You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you are having a good day." - Daniel Behrman
Old 09-19-2005, 07:11 AM

Sounds like our family will be at the 2025 TdF to watch your son William!
You go Dad!

Cuz
Old 09-19-2005, 09:02 AM

Thats cool!

I can't wait until my lil Greg gets his first set of wheels...

Well - actually I wish he would grow a little slower... I am amazed at how fast the little critter develops! I can't get enough.

Sounds like your little one is going to wear yellow one day!
Old 09-21-2005, 05:13 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the encouragement every one! It's great fun and I am enjoying it immensely. I don't want to push him but I do want to encourage his interest.

Pro cycling one day? Maybe, but I have to be honest and admit that with the current state of pro cycling and the obvious drug use that occurs in the peloton, I'd be apprehensive about that being a major goal some day (if he were to get that far in the sport).

But hey, for now were are having fun together and that's what counts in the long run.

William
Old 09-21-2005, 02:06 PM

Uncle William

You are a blessed man. Thanks for sharing !!!
Old 09-21-2005, 07:12 PM
Earthling imposter

Yep, being a Dad is the best. Kinda makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it?

I remember when my son was 13 and decided he didn't want to play soccer any more. I said that's fine, but I wanted to stay active in something. He tried BMX and didn't like that everyone was ultracompetitive and the parents were obnoxious. He decided he wanted to try mountain biking and it was a Labor Day weekend so we had plenty of time. Friday evening we set up my spare mountian bike to fit him. Saturday we went for a ride and I held back and didn't push him. Sunday we went to the same trails and I didn't have to hold back much. Monday we went again and he passed me on a climb. I was *so* proud of him, but I knew that was the last time I'd be able to hang on with him on the trails. I still ride a lot, he hardly rides at all, but we still get to go out once or twice a year now. He still kicks my butt.

Enjoy and treasure these times with your son 'cuz they grow up really fast.

Last edited by ric426; 09-21-2005 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:41 PM

I'll have to get on my rollers

Oh god, I'll have to get up on my rollers before I ride down in Ri again with you big guy, Imagine getting dropped by you and your son........
Old 09-23-2005, 05:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beungood
Oh god, I'll have to get up on my rollers before I ride down in Ri again with you big guy, Imagine getting dropped by you and your son........
Big "C" is already telling me all the different ways he's going to smoke you the next time you come down to ride. I think he's up to number one hundred and twenty three now.

William