Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2012, 07:05 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Giro Donne - SPOILER

Evie Stevens continues to impress. I doubt she'll keep it to the end but who knows? She seems to have a lot of drive and determination.

Quote:
Evie Stevens (Specialized-lululemon) rode herself into the race lead of the 2012 Giro d’Italia Femminile, between Vernio and Castiglione dei Pepoli, with a late solo attack. The American jumped clear of a four-rider group in the final two and a half kilometres, leaving race leader Marianne Vos (Rabobank), Emma Pooley (AA Drink-Leontien.nl) and five-time race winner Fabiana Luperini (Faren-Honda) behind.

Stevens crossed the line twenty seconds clear of the three-way sprint for second, which was taken by Luperini, ahead of Pooley, with Vos a further eleven seconds back. Time bonuses on the line for Stevens, and with Vos missing out, meant that the American took the first Maglia Rosa of her career.
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12...#ixzz1zQ0tptjh
Old 07-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
The peloton was all together for the opening kilometres, as Shelley Olds (AA Drink-Leontien.nl) won the intermediate sprint on Vernio’s Via Roma, after 26.8km ahead of Vos and her AA Drink-Leontien.nl teammate Lizzie Armitstead.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12...#ixzz1zQ4aZDTH
I went to high school with Shelley. Awesome to see her doing well in the pro ranks. She played soccer through high school and college, and I don't think she discovered her cycling talents until after that.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:51 PM

Kudos to Evie for making her own luck with strong drive etc but let's not kid ourselves either--

She's a ** genetic anomaly ** in a ** shallow talent pool. **

That's cool for everyone who used to see her in Central Park and Prospect but it's 90% genetics, 10% everything else-- and yes, I do credit her that 10% just like I did Christine Thorburn (though she was a fine small college x-c & track runner previously).

There's almost no possible equivalency, btw, of a male racer that age coming over to sport with similar results. We could give unlimited $$$ to the best triathlete (not named Lance, hah) or 10K to marathon road runner and they'd never come close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
Evie Stevens continues to impress. I doubt she'll keep it to the end but who knows? She seems to have a lot of drive and determination.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12...#ixzz1zQ0tptjh
Old 07-02-2012, 12:25 AM
Cat 6

women can't win even when they win.

it's a lose-lose situation for poor evie in this crowd. maybe she should just stay at home in the kitchen?

Old 07-02-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_mutt View Post
Agreed. I've given up trying to be an advocate for women's racing on this forum. Sad.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin Kirk View Post
Agreed. I've given up trying to be an advocate for women's racing on this forum. Sad.
Some of these guys hate men's racing even more. See above.

That was an amazing ride by Evie.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Bike Geek

I, for one, would rather watch a bunch of women in spandex racing bikes than a bunch of men!

*Shelley Olds is my favorite, she used to be a regular around the Bay Area road/track scene before going pro in Europe... next stop Olympic gold medal steez!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:26 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryblack View Post
There's almost no possible equivalency, btw, of a male racer that age coming over to sport with similar results. We could give unlimited $$$ to the best triathlete (not named Lance, hah) or 10K to marathon road runner and they'd never come close.
Tony Rominger was 25 when he turned pro....I seem to recall that he had a pretty decent palmarès. But I do agree that it's not the norm.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Post Mod-ern

Ignore them . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_mutt View Post

it's a lose-lose situation for poor evie in this crowd. maybe she should just stay at home in the kitchen?

. . . and keep on cheering. Women's racing is exciting and wlll continue to get better as more people catch on.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 07-02-2012, 10:39 PM

This is dumb. Leader's jersey going back and forth and no cnews coverage.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:43 PM

Steephill ?
Cheers
Old 07-02-2012, 10:56 PM

Please, spare us the 'poor Evie' schtick... an INVESTMENT BANKER finds out she's genetic .0001% and takes off... That's cool but hardly earth shattering.

Yeah, she's a real 'inspiration' too-- I've heard that one often in NYC. Inspiring? How so?

99.999% of the people reading this could-- relative to age/gender/physique-- train with the exact quantity/quality/assistance (nutrition, massage, etc) and not achieve a FRACTION of the results.

As for people not respecting women's cycling, who gave Liz Hatch contracts, and why?
Old 07-02-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Please, spare us the 'poor Evie' schtick... an INVESTMENT BANKER finds out she's genetic .0001% and takes off... That's cool but hardly earth shattering.

Yeah, she's a real 'inspiration' too-- I've heard that one often in NYC. Inspiring? How so?

99.999% of the people reading this could-- relative to age/gender/physique-- train with the exact quantity/quality/assistance (nutrition, massage, etc) and not achieve a FRACTION of the results.

As for people not respecting women's cycling, who gave Liz Hatch contracts, and why?
Yawn.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:55 PM
Never-nude

Quote:
Kudos to Evie for making her own luck with strong drive etc but let's not kid ourselves either--

She's a ** genetic anomaly ** in a ** shallow talent pool. **

That's cool for everyone who used to see her in Central Park and Prospect but it's 90% genetics, 10% everything else-- and yes, I do credit her that 10% just like I did Christine Thorburn (though she was a fine small college x-c & track runner previously).

Strange post. I'm not sure I understand it. Are you saying that we really shouldn't watch or root for Evie because in women's cycling it's 90% genetics and that women's cycling is a shallow gene pool? If one is genetically superior should we not root for them? Is your point that only in women's sport can someone go from one sport to the top of another? Didn't Eric Heiden go from gold medalist in skating to TDF rider in a short time? What a strange And totally sexist post.

GG

PS I've had the opportunity to ride with Ina-Yoko Teutenberg several times and it is unbelievable how fast the top pro ladies are. She live here in SLO and is one nice person http://www.highroadsports.com/team/4...oko-Teutenberg

Last edited by GuyGadois; 07-03-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:29 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Dude, lighten up.

So now we can only talk about stories like this if they are "earth shattering?"

The OP said that she "continues to impress" not that she discovered a cure for cancer.

I won't begrudge her some success, whether she was an investment banker or flipping burgers at McD. Either way, it's a neat story.