Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Bike Guy

Help with Hub Overhaul

Thanks to the newly defined "epic" conditions of the NE Rapha Gentlemans Race, my Campy Record hubs are due for a servicing. I have never replaced the bearings and the previous owner said he only regressed once in the first 2k miles.

Last night I took them apart to clean and grease everything. The rear went surprisingly well with one exception: the cartridge bearings inside the freehub that the axle contacts do not spin. Does this mean my freehub is dying?

The front was straightforward as well but after re-assembly it feels more rough than before!? What am I doing wrong here?

Grease wise I used DT Special Hub grease, comes in a small thimble sized container and is salmon pink in color. I have heard Campy grease is great but hard to come by. Also should I be using a less viscous material in the pawls of the freehub mechanism? I seem to recall a mechanic telling me to use oil there.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-27-2012, 08:15 AM
Epic=No Smiles

I use Park grease, Pennzoil axle grease, or Mobil axle grease for the bearings in the hubs, and whatever 5w-40 motor oil I have around for the pawls.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetoclimb View Post
Thanks to the newly defined "epic" conditions of the NE Rapha Gentlemans Race, my Campy Record hubs are due for a servicing. I have never replaced the bearings and the previous owner said he only regressed once in the first 2k miles.

Last night I took them apart to clean and grease everything. The rear went surprisingly well with one exception: the cartridge bearings inside the freehub that the axle contacts do not spin. Does this mean my freehub is dying?

The front was straightforward as well but after re-assembly it feels more rough than before!? What am I doing wrong here?

Grease wise I used DT Special Hub grease, comes in a small thimble sized container and is salmon pink in color. I have heard Campy grease is great but hard to come by. Also should I be using a less viscous material in the pawls of the freehub mechanism? I seem to recall a mechanic telling me to use oil there.

Thanks for the help!
Means the bearings are dead, the ones in the freehub body. The outer bearing can easily be changed, the inner, held by a clip, can be more challenging. What year? Aluminum axle or steel/ti? 8, 9 or 10s freehub? Aluminum or steel?

The only non standard bearing is the first gen aluminum 9s freehub with the steel or ti axle. 1997/8.

Either are standard bearings..6803 and 6001, I think.

Oil the pawls, not grease
Old 06-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Bike Guy

Sorry for the confusion. The hubs are the current gen Record (black, 9/10/11s)
Old 06-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Bike Guy

Got some advice from another Campy Record hub owner that led to more questions i did not think I ask.

After removing the hub bearings, cleaning, greasing, and reassembly, the hubs feel WORSE than before. The advice was that seating the bearings in the raceway is very difficult and if not done properly will lead to the rough spinning I feel after assembly. My question is how do I ensure the bearings are seated properly before I reinsert the bearing shields and axle, etc. ? Is there a good pictorial guide for this? Maybe I should make such a guide and sell it!?